3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   I'm seriously bugging out! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/57024-im-seriously-bugging-out.html)

cemetarysiren25 04-27-2005 08:51 AM

I'm seriously bugging out!

Okay, since the beginning of April, my weight has not gone ANYWHERE! One day, I'll be at 219, the next it will be at 224, then 227, then back down to 222. What is going on?! I've taken into consideration that it may just be the scale, but it's supposed to have a "life-time lithium battery" and there's no "error" reading on it.

I'm not doing anything differently than I used to when I was losing normally. I'm exercising, doing strength training, and watching my diet. Granted, I may need to eat more, but some of the time I feel sick when I eat. So, I don't know.

Is this just a plateau? I've lost over 60lbs. and I want to keep losing. I know that I have to keep the "big picture" in mind, but this is so frustrating!! Why is my weight fluctuating like this? :(

2frustrated 04-27-2005 09:13 AM

Oh Yeah! My weight does that ALL the time!

You might want to try mixing things up a bit with the exercise, perhaps try a different type, like swimming istead of biking or something, also are you eating ENOUGH? Or maybe your body doesn't need as many calories as you've lost weight. I don't know how many you're eating a day, but maybe look at what your RMR (resting metabolic rate) is, you can search google for sites which calculate it. You shouldn't eat below this value, but if you're eating a few hundered more than this, then try cutting some calories out.

Essentially, your body's just got used to what you've been doing so you need to shock it into submission!

Good luck!

marbleflys 04-27-2005 09:27 AM

Stay away from the scale for a couple of weeks, use a tape-measure instead....maybe you want to try a new type of exercise for a week, like jumping rope for 5 mins, dancing, something fun and different and focus on that.....change what you eat for breakfast, (more carbs early in the day, less at night).

I go through the same thing at times, where I could throw the damn scale through the window....

Sunshine1 04-27-2005 10:58 AM

Are you drinking enough water? I notice when I slack off my water for a day or so I retain more water. Just a thought.

Congratulations on your 60 pound loss!!!

Ruthxxx 04-27-2005 11:18 AM

Check out Why Scales Lie for a bit of insight.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42510

I've been dealing with a 10 pound fluctuation for a year!

aphil 04-27-2005 12:15 PM

When I lost the first 20 pounds or so my weight loss slowed. I found that to keep it going, that I had to slowly increase the duration of my exercise, or the intensity-because you want to get "fitter" and not stay the same level of fitness. Did that make sense? :lol:

When you start exercising-it is a struggle. After a while your body becomes stronger and more fit, and you have to do more to progress further. If you started out doing 20 minutes on the treadmill...then a couple months later you should be doing 30 minutes on the treadmill, or 20 at a quicker pace or higher incline-something to make your body have to work harder again.
Same goes with weights-if you started doing a strength training video with light 2 or 3 pound hand weights-then 6 months later you should have progressed to something a little higher. If you are no longer feeling the muscle fatigue and failure by the end of a certain set of exercises-then your weights need to be increased. If your program includes floor exercises for the legs and buns and you aren't struggling as much as before-then get a set of adjustable ankle weights to add more resistance. Start out with them adjusted to the 1/2 or 1 pound mark...and when that gets easier, add more of the little weighted bags to them.
Alternate your cardio exercise-if you normally walk, then alternate rollerblading, jumping rope, trampoline, dancing, or some other cardio activity. They all work the muscles slightly differently and will challenge the body.

I also find that I lose better when I eat "cleaner"-staying away from chips, ice cream, and low fat "treats" even if I am staying in my calorie range.

cemetarysiren25 04-27-2005 03:41 PM

See, but that's the thing I don't understand...I've definately increased my exercise intensity!! I have a really intense cardio tape that I've been using for almost a week now...it was too hard for me to do before! And I've just started lifting weights, so I'm good at like 6lbs.!!

Foodwise, this is what a typical day looks like for me:

Breakfast: 1 bowl of cereal (Honey Bunches of Oats, Raisin Bran, Berry Burst Cheerios, or Special K), sometimes with a banana cut up into it.

Lunch: (a.)A bowl of low-sodium soup, sometimes with a piece of whole-grain bread
OR
(b.)A tuna fish salad (fat free mayo, a little mustard, and celery) sandwich on
whole grain bread
OR
(c.) a Lean Cuisine meal

Dinner: A salad with fat-free dressing
(a.)A serving of meat, usually a potatoe with low-fat sour cream or another
low-fat starch side, and a lot of veggies.
(b.) One of those 6 gram of fat 6 inch subs from Subway.
(c.) A Lean Cuisine meal

For a snack, I'll eat a Dannon Light n Fit yogurt, an apple, some Quaker Rice Snacks (caramel corn ones...60 calories per serving, no fat), or a pickle.

Anyone have any advice one what I should change or whatnot?

Sunshine1 04-27-2005 03:45 PM

What is your water intake like?? WATER WATER WATER is a must.

aphil 04-27-2005 03:56 PM

Are you counting your calories? I am unsure of some of your calories due to not knowing exact serving sizes...but the calories may be a bit low.

Sunshine1 04-27-2005 04:05 PM

I agree ... I don't think you are eating enough calories. Figure up your calories ... you need at LEAST 1200 a day.

marbleflys 04-27-2005 04:14 PM

I was going to suggest something very daring.....a slice of veggie pizza with a glass of wine once a week.....some extra protein, (grilled fish or chicken breast), maybe soup AND tuna salad. Play with your food, play with your exercise, mix it up and take a break for a day with your meals....not going overboard, but adding small bits and a change in the routine, maybe egg white omelette with cheese for breakfast and a piece of fruit, etc.

cemetarysiren25 04-27-2005 04:43 PM

Yes, I've been drinking my fair share of water!! :)

Anway, no I don't count calories much anymore. I look at serving sizes and stuff, but I'm pretty laid back about it. I was counting calories before and it became an obsession, so I stopped it. I guess I'm just so worried that anything I eat is going to make me fat. I freak out when my fiance uses olive oil when he cooks dinner...well, I used to. I suppose maybe I'm not getting all of my nutritional needs.

But, I've found that sometimes when I eat, I feel really sick. Sometimes after I eat too. I know I'm not eating to fast, so I don't know if it's a mental thing or what.

Sunshine1 04-27-2005 04:54 PM

We do need some fats in our diet. Don't limit yourself toooo much so that you can maintain this way of eating for the rest of your life.

cemetarysiren25 04-27-2005 04:54 PM

Well, you all were right. I'm NOT eating enough. So far today, without eating dinner yet, I've only consumed a measily 682 calories!! According to Fitday.com, that is. I suppose I'll have to get back with counting the cals again!! :D

cemetarysiren25 04-27-2005 05:03 PM

Okay, so the website I went on told me that my resting metabolic rate is 1790. So, I should be eating like 1700 calories per day?! That seems like an awful lot!!