3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   What a day...seriously bad news!! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/53255-what-day-seriously-bad-news.html)

KyGirl 02-09-2005 03:09 PM

What a day...seriously bad news!!

Well, where to begin...this morning we had our health risk assessment at work as part of our Wellness Program. What a shocker!! Last year's results weren't that great, but I am so ashamed and actually embarrassed by what I saw today. My Glucose and HDL (good Cholesterol) were "ok". But, the rest are what worries me. Check it out...

Triglycerides (fat in blood) 208-HIGH
Total Cholesterol 281-Extremely HIGH
LDL Cholesterol (bad chol.) 190-Very HIGH

It was enough to bring me to tears. I realized what I am doing to my body and how dangerous my lifestyle is. My DH says not to let it get me down and to just do something about it, but I don't think he gets it. Or maybe I am over reacting. Either way, I was terrified and humiliated. I know I am about 30 pounds or so over weight, (or what I consider overweight) but I never imagined it was this bad. And I know it all isn't just weight related, it is what I eat and my exercise habits as well. But, I got a reality check real quick. Anyways, I hope I haven't rambled on too much. I am ready to do this and do it right. I am not seeking a "model" slim figure. I just want to live a healthy life now. That is what matters most.

I could really use some helpful tips or advice right about now. But, I'll settle for {{HUGS}} too. :smug:

Thanks for your time.

suechef 02-09-2005 03:18 PM

Sorry to hear the bad news. Though I think your husband is exactly right - don't worry about it (no point), and do what you can to fix it. Simple advice and right on the money. (I'm not saying it's simple to fix the problem, just that your course of action is pretty clear). And take heart from all the people here who have had the same sort of things, high bp or early diabetes or whatever, and they decide to get healthy & now their levels (of whatever) are safe and normal. You can do it!

cheerio,
Sue

sapphire9 02-09-2005 03:35 PM

You said the tests were work-related. Did they recommend that you see your pcp? I think that would be the next step so that you can discuss whether or not you need medications. But as suechef said, don't get too upset about it. Consider it a wakeup call and start moving. I take Lipitor and that seems to be doing its job because my numbers are in the normal range now. Good luck.

KyGirl 02-09-2005 05:14 PM

They did recommend seeing my pcp. I will do that as well. I just really don't want any meds unless they can be used short term. I will see though for sure. thanks. :)