3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   I think there's something wrong with my scale... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/51872-i-think-theres-something-wrong-my-scale.html)

Veerie 01-14-2005 03:05 PM

I think there's something wrong with my scale...

After two full weeks of eating really well (lots of fiber, lean protein, calcium, fruits and vegetables) and dedicated exercise (45-60 minutes cardio, 20 minutes weights, 10 minutes stretching) my scale is showing that I have GAINED half a pound. I am tearing my hair out in frustration! I just don't get it...I drink lots of water, mix up my exercise routine, do intervals on the treadmill, have cut out junk food, watch my portions, have cut way back on alcohol. What am I missing here?

Any suggestions or commiserations would be greatly appreciated!

Veerie

cemetarysiren25 01-14-2005 03:32 PM

Okay, don't freak out! :) The reasoning behind you GAINING a half a pound is because you are gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. That's why someone who is extremely muscular and athletic can weigh the same amount as someone who's seriously overweight. Don't let your scale rule you! Rather, go by how you feel and how your clothes fit! :)

Veerie 01-14-2005 04:19 PM

I wish that was the case! It's my understanding, though, that it takes 6 to 8 weeks before you can build enough muscle mass to make a difference in your weight. I'm not even close!

I did buy a pair of body fat calipers and am hoping that I can wean my addiction to the scale (which fluctuates so much anyway) and get a more accurate picture with the calipers. Does anybody use these?

Veerie

NYCT1981 01-14-2005 04:27 PM

Hi Veerie!

I don't know why the scale isn't showing a loss but I do know that when I first started working out a lot, my scale when up 5 pounds the first week. It sure wasn't muscle!! Then it went away and I started losing fat. I don't know why it happens, but I think your body may be holding on to some water and getting adjusted to the new workout routine.

I get my body fat tested at the gym with calipers about once every 4 weeks. I don't know if i would be able to do it accurately on my own, especially because one of the sites measured is on my back.

Anyway, I'm not really into the scale anyway. I lose a pound at a time, but I am losing a lot of inches. Good luck!

LKTS 01-14-2005 06:12 PM

It's true that when you first up your workouts, your muscles tend to retain water. In any case, a half a pound is nothing - it could just be your monthly cycle or some water retention from eating salty foods. Have you tracked your caloric intake? Sometimes when people start working out more, they unconsciously up their food intake and then their weight stays about the same.

Body fat calipers are notoriously hard to use correctly, but they can be more accurate than those body fat scales if you use them consistently. I get my body fat tested at the gym as well since I'm leery of home measurements.

Veerie 01-15-2005 09:52 AM

Of course, you all are right. Intellectually, I know that. But emotionally, I want to chuck the scale out the window! I keep telling myself that, because it's taking a while, it must be real weight loss and not just water weight. (Not that I would mind a little instant gratification!)

Thanks for being rational. Have a great weekend!

Veerie

almostheaven 01-15-2005 11:31 AM

I went up 5 pounds in the first 3 weeks. It does happen. Whether it's muscle, water, that time of month, or a combination. But as long as you're exercising daily and eating healthier foods, you will lose weight. Your best bet may be to put that scale in a closet somewhere and don't pull it out for a few weeks to keep from letting it depress you.

JayEll 01-15-2005 10:37 PM

Hi!

I'd suggest you don't weigh every week. Try once a month. I know, you'll want to peek. But if you weigh less often you're more likely to see good results.

And if you don't, then you may need to count some calories. Your food may be healthy, but you may still be eating too much of it.

Better that it's healthy food, though! :)

Jay

Kitty_kat 01-18-2005 03:10 PM

I hear that! Scale's make me very sad :?: