Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-02-2004, 07:52 PM   #1  
Future Size 6

Default Is this crazy?

Or more to the point, am I alone in this? I was talking with my husband earlier, and I realized that although I've tried many, many times to lose weight, something feels different this time. I know this does NOT make sense, but I feel like "I" have already lost the weight, and I'm just waiting for "my body" to catch up.

To put it another way, I've always felt like a fat girl inside AND out, but I don't anymore. It's like I've been sick and I'm recuperating now, knowing that I'll be healthy again.

Which is odd, considering that I've never been healthy. But it's letting me be patient and not expect the change right away, because I know it will happen. I'm eating right and getting regular exercise, and that's the right formula for health, isn't it?

Has anyone felt anything like this? I'm not complaining, because you know...whatever works! But the whole duality of mind and body just struck me as a strange way to feel. Thoughts?

Tali the crazy lady
Talisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 09:15 PM   #2  

I've felt something similar, but not exactly what you're describing. It sounds like a wonderful feeling.

But it reminds me of something I saw on TV about heroine addiction- not to compare dieting to drug addiction- but they both seem to involve habits and cycles and emotions. Counselors were saying how they see people relapse and relapse into old habits and then the people who finally make a change in their lives seem to have something just suddenly click, and it's a final change. They talk about it almost like a rebirth in mind and spirit.

Maybe that's how habits and our thoughts change....?

Just a thought.....
wedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:55 PM   #3  
Future Size 6

Thank you, wedded. That makes sense; I hope that's really what happened! I would love to be free of my addiction.
Old 12-03-2004, 12:59 AM   #4  

I think you describe your feelings beautifully and I can tell by reading your post that you're absolutely correct.

I'm not Jewish but I went to a Bat Mitzvah recently where the Rabbi gave the greatest talk about freedom and enslavement. He was saying, that the reason God didn't just phyisically remove/free the masters from the Jewish people and free them that way is because they would still be enslaved INSIDE even when free; and they had to be taught to be free men inside of themselves, lose the slave mentaility.

How many of us have felt at times that we are slaves. To the scale, to a diet, to food or to our very bodies. Only we can free ourselves and not when we lose X amount of pounds or fit into X dress size, but right this second. I actually think that all people who have successfully (permanently) lost weight have lost it inside first. Otherwise it's impossible.

It kind of bums me out to read some of these posts where the women are so, so down on themselves. It was very uplifting to read this! Thanks for posting it!
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 05:00 AM   #5  
Future Size 6

Thanks, K8-EEE.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:58 AM   #6  
Meg

Tali - I sure don't think you're crazy because the same thing happened to me before I went on the last diet of my life. I *knew* this was it; I knew I simply would not let myself fail one more time. I was absolutely determined that I would not quit, no matter what. I've come to believe that 98% of weight loss happens in our heads, not our bodies, so yes, believe that you can do it and you will. Live your life like the healthy, fit woman who you are in your mind and your body has to follow, right? Welcome to 3FC and best of luck to you!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 10:17 AM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Yup, same here. I've been on a lot of diets because I was unhappy with the way I looked. This time, it had nothing to do with how I looked, but it was just the act of getting out of breath trying to tie my shoes and realizing that I wasn't even 40 yet. I should be young and vibrant and not so danged tired every day...before even starting my day in fact. And I decided I wanted to live a lot longer than I was going to at the rate I was going. I want a vacation when I retire and not a nursing home.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 11:37 AM   #8  

The feeling you described is exactly, IMO, what allows us to finally be successful, no matter how many times we've failed in the past. It's hard to explain to people who haven't yet experienced it, but once you do, everything seems to just fall into place. I also experienced the same thing, and I instinctively knew that this time was going to be different, which it has been, and there is no going back. Congratulations, you are on your way!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 12:21 PM   #9  

You are not crazy. Your spirit man already knows that you are going to lose the weight (actually you already have in the spirit) and now what's going on in your spirit man is beginning to manifest in the natural.. That's awesome. Keep up the good work. Draw strength from it and use it. Thrive off it. I am happy for you. Smooches.. Holly
Supergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 01:54 PM   #10  

You're definitely not alone! I KNEW this time too. I was tired of being exhausted and in pain all the time. In the end what it comes down to is that you have to be ready to do what it takes to lose weight - eat right and exercise - and I was ready so I knew it would happen
chaoticfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:25 PM   #11  

I agree with what the others have said - you "know". I think that's part of what keeps me going anyways. I feel so much more confident/ good looking and just waiting for the body to catch up a bit. you're not alone!
KandiceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 07:26 PM   #12  

Yeah I think I have the same feeling too now that I'm on this eating plan - I KNOW that I'm going to continue and reach my goal this time. I've tried heaps of times to lose weight and maybe lose a few kilos then give up - but this time I"ve stuck to it and I've lost almost 10 kilos so far and I just know I'm going to make it and get quite excited at the thought of buying smaller clothes !!
Kewwy is offline   Reply With Quote