Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-08-2004, 10:45 AM   #1  

Question Fruit Diet? Has anyone tried it?

I was talking to my mother the other day, and shes lost a good bit of weight. I asked her how she did it and she told me that she ate fruit and cottage cheese for weeks. I know it seems strange but it seemed to work for her. So I was thinking of eating nothing but fruit (Because I dont like cottage cheese) for a while and see how that works. She also said that when her body started craving something other than fruit, she ate a bowl of corn.

Has anyone tried eating nothing but fruit before?
Sh0egal19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 11:55 AM   #2  
Legend in my own mind

I have not tried any fruit diet, because I really don't like fruit that much, and I prefer to eat a more ballanced diet.
However, the grapefruit diet is a well known diet and it really works.
maybe if you want to, you can do an internet search on the grapefruit diet and get more information on this kind of diet..
Partytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 12:36 PM   #3  

Perhaps a healthier alternative to the "fruit diet" would be a vegetarian diet. You could cut out meat, but still keep fruits and vegetables and grains and things.
emilyatau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 01:02 PM   #4  

Sounds very unhealthy - no protein. If you stay on it very long, dry skin and hair loss due to too little fat. Actually, anything that cuts calories will work - so I'm sure it would but do you really want to do that? The cottage cheese gave your mom some protein and a bit of fat.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 01:18 PM   #5  
Changing the things I can

Thumbs down Restrictive dieting....IMHO

Hi,
What I have come to learn about myself over the years of "dieting" is if I restrict variety, I will not stick to any diet. Eating only fruit probably would get so old, so fast. Some people can do it, but it's not really healthy either. I mean, unless you're taking lots of supplements...

And, doggoneit, I like to eat, so I like that I can eat 5 or 6 times a day, a variety of protein, tons of veg, even carbs in fruit & whole grains.... and even good-for-you essential fats (in smaller amounts, of course).

Anyway, just my $.02. I think for the long term, I must change the way I think about eating, and get a new life plan for eating healthy, small portions. This way I learn how to treat my body well, and feel better about myself for making good choices. Eating just fruit, or even going on slimfast & things like that do not teach you how to live healthy & slim. they just give you a quick, temporary fix, and usually the pounds pile back on & bring buddies next time around.

Hope this gives you some 'food for thought' --- Hey, just my opinion, and I know everybody has one! But, seriously, hope it helps!

Have a great day, everyone!Stef
scs_2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 01:32 PM   #6  

I'm going to have to agree with Stef on this one it sounds VERY restrictive. Oh, you'll lose weight doing it, after all cutting calories (no matter how you do it) will result in a weight loss. But as soon as you go off your fruit diet you'll gain it all back and then some. Also, you'd really have to eat a LOT of fruit to get enough calories for your body to function properly. And you wouldn't be getting any protein or fat (which your body needs ...) you could make yourself really sick and, you'd probably end up hating fruit. Instead of eating nothing but fruit, just add more fruit and vegis to your diet and don't forget about whole grains and some good sources of protein.

Play around with your diet and figure out what works for you. You may like Atkins, a macrobiotic diet, weight watchers, etc. etc. The key here is balance, treating yourself and your body with respect by giving it what it needs and by really making a lifestyle change, not just going for the temporary fix (believe me, I've been there, done that, it's not worth it).

Good luck!
Graceful Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote