3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Steel Magnolias #352 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/33224-steel-magnolias-352-a.html)

Maggie 10-15-2003 01:51 AM

Steel Magnolias #352

JEAN CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss :bravo:. Keep it up grilfrined.

FAYE sounds like your program is working for you! I am going to sit down tomorrow and work out some menus for the rest of this week. I just got a new WW book in the mail today which looks very promising.

Everyone have a wonderful Humpday on the morrow.

gma22 10-15-2003 10:16 AM

Good morning ladies!

I have a request. It came about when a lady that posts on my thread ask for prayers for family that have cancer. I am compiling a list of women who have/had/or died from breast cancer from the women here on the threads I post at. If you have a contribution, please send me her name. I am going to carry the list in my pocket the day of the race, which is a week from Saturday. In this way, I am walking for THEM!

Faye

Maggie 10-15-2003 05:44 PM

I am making a delicious smelling :goodvibes Crock Pot dish as I type. I am going to make my 1 point slaw and a baked sweet potato to go along with a BBQ sandwich for dinner. This is a wonderful low point meal. :hun:

CAROLINA BARBECUED PORK a la :chef: Maggie
2 onions, quartered
2 Tbsp. Brown sugar
1 Tbsp. Paprika
1 tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Pepper
5 lb. Boneless pork butt or shoulder roast
¾ cup cider vinegar
4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 ½ tsp. Crushed red pepper flakes
1 ½ tsp. Sugar
½ tsp. dry mustard
¼ tsp. Cayenne pepper
Hamburger Buns

Place the onions in the Crock-pot Slow Cooker.
Combine the next 4 ingredients ~ rub it over
the roast & place it in the pot on the onions.
In a small shaker combine the next 6 ingredients.
Drizzle half of the above mixture over the meat.
Refrigerate the remaining vinegar sauce.
Cover and cook on Low for 10 hours or 6 on High.
Remove the meat and onions and drain.
Chop or shred the meat and onions.
Serve the meat and onions on buns.
Use the remaining vinegar sauce to drizzle over
the sandwiches.
½ cup of the shredded pork mixture is 3 POINTS
Total points for the sandwich will depend on the
type of bun or roll you use for the sandwich.

FAYE that is a neat thing you are going to do. I don't know anyone that has had breast cancer thank goodness. I am looking for a post office that sells those stamps that a portion of the cost goes to breast cancer ~ our local one doesn't have them.

Jean 10-15-2003 11:10 PM

Good Evening, Flowers!
It's raining here tonight. Tonight I baked cookies for the church rummage sale tomorrow. I decided on oatmeal butterscotch since that is what I had on hand. DH says since there is oatmeal in them, they just have to be good for you! :lol:

"Gma" -- Let me know how the baked potato soup turned out. That sounds so good! :T I live in a county that has a very high rate of cancer and it is all kinds. There are way too many names to list so how about if you just write down Buena Vista County, Iowa? That is a neat idea and I wish you luck with the race.

Maggie -- Your recipe sounds delicious! I am going to copy it and give it a try. We are having company from MN and that just might work into the schedule if they come while I am in school. Thanks for sharing it with us!

I am heading off to bed. It's been a long day and I didn't sleep too well last night -- went to bed too late and had to get up earlier than I usually do. I'm hoping tomorrow will be a "normal" day.

Have a terrific Thursday!

Jean -- :yawn: in Iowa!

Maggie 10-16-2003 06:49 PM

Weigh Day Report

I was not a bit surprised to have a weight gain today. I don't usually eat breakfast before weigh in but going so many miles to WW and then just eating lunch afterwards was quite a stretch. So today since I knew I would show a gain I decided to do something nice for my body and eat a sensible breakfast. Now I can do that each week and not feel so empty for the morning.

Good thing happened today! They finally got in some of those "breast cancer" stamps at the local PO. They cost a bit more per stamp but that is what goes to the program. He got me a sheet of 20 so that will last a bit for me. He also brought home some post card stamps. I enclose a pre stamped post card with each letter I send to my daughter and that way I always get an answer.:D I make my own post cards on my computer and write to her at least once a week and enclose a card and lo and behold she writes on them and puts them in return mail so I hear from her that way once a week at least. If she has more to say she sends a letter but usually uses the cards.

Have a lovely evening folks.

Maggie 10-17-2003 02:40 AM

Well both of the baseball teams that I was rooting for lost so I guess I will have to be rooting for the team that is playing against the Yankies for the series. I was so wanting the Cubs to make it this year but alas it wasn't to be.

Good night my friends.

gma22 10-17-2003 08:17 AM

Maggie: Maybe there is something to that curse thing. You know I am this huge CUBS fan so I was really really disappointed, but I wanted the Red Sox to win too (wanted everyone to see the 2 underdogs play), but alas it was not to be! There is always next year, I guess!

Jean: I will let you know about the soup. I switched stuff around and didn't have it last night, but when I use that menu I will let you know.

Well ladies, gotta get a move on!

Have a great weekend!

Faye

Jean 10-17-2003 10:42 PM

Good Evening, Flowers!
The school week is over and I am looking forward to the weekend. We had a fire drill just as we sat down to eat this noon; we have three 27 minute lunch shifts so it really messed the timing up. We were outside for about 10 minutes -- I'm glad it was a sunny day even though it was windy. The firemen evidently didn't find anything and we were allowed back inside.

My two "in-school" offenders were supposed to be back in class today. The boy called in sick and the girl has been AWOL for 3 days in a row which will add more days to her sentence if and when she ever does comes back. We've had 45 days of school and she has been in class for 19 of them . . . what's wrong with that picture? DH says if they would run a school like a business, we'd get rid of a third of the kids just for breaking rules or not showing up at all. Now that's a thought! :dizzy:

"Gma" -- I'm not a huge baseball fan but I usually root for the team that is behind. DH just shakes his head. :lol:

Maggie -- Good idea about sending the post cards to your daughter! :yes: My mom and I always wrote back and forth, once a week while my dad and I talked on the phone once a week. Now my second mom and write back and forth each week and we talk on the phone twice a week. It's good to keep in touch! How is your FOCUS going? Good, I hope!

I am tired and think I will watch the news and head for bed. Have a relaxing weekend, Flowers!

Jean -- :wave: from Iowa!

Jean 10-18-2003 09:21 AM

HAPPY SATURDAY! :dance:

Have a great day!

Maggie 10-18-2003 02:02 PM

SAME TO ALL YA'LL :D

gma22 10-18-2003 02:14 PM

Jean: Where the heck are the parents in this picture? I know kids sneak out, play hooky etc., but doesn't the school notify the parents everyday when a kid is absent? I know my son learned his lesson from skipping school and lying. He was a senior and ask if he could spend a school night at a friend's because they had a project to finish. I normally am a no go, but the fact he was willing to work on it (Jay was intellectually gifted, but thought school was a nuisance!). Anyway, he and about 10 friends went to a concert in Chicago and skipped school. They called my dh at work and he in turn called me to see if Jay had come home sick or had I heard from him. He payed the ultimate price. His dad called the school back and said to count him truant. The principal said that wasn't necessary since we knew where he was (we had squeezed it out of his younger sister by this time!) and we said, "NO, WAY!" The principal said the only way he could do that was to count them all truant and the other parents said it was ok their kids were out of school. Jack threw a fit about why were they not being punished by the school if they were skipping and so the principal made them ALL truant. On top of that, he showed up at home and Jack hooked him in one lie after another and then reeled him in for the kill! He ended up with all his friends mad at him and a month's grounding which meant having to ride the BUS to and from school instead of with friends (HORRORS!), no phone, no visitors, no leaving the house. IF YOU ASK HIM NOW, he will tell you he deserved it and never did anything like that again!

Well, need to check on Jack. He strained his back somehow and isn't feeling to perky right now!

Faye

Jean 10-19-2003 11:47 AM

Good Morning, Flowers!
It is another beautiful day in NW Iowa! :flow1: It got up to 85 degrees yesterday and is supposed to be 80 again today. We've been to church and I am home again. DH's group is singing today and will do so again at the second service.

"Gma" -- Unfortunately, the parents of both students speak very little English and go to work at the packing plant at 7 AM so they have no idea where their kids are or what they are doing. We have tried to set up staff meetings for them and line up interpreters . . . guess who doesn't show up?! There is only so much that we can do. In the state of Iowa they can drop out if they are 16 and the parent will sign them out. The boy comes for the social part and the free lunch. Rumor has it that the girl is pregnant which is a really scary thought. DH thinks the school should be run like a business; show up and do what you are supposed to or out the door you go. My thought was to charge a fee for every time they drop out and reenter the system. We'd never get the $$ collected though. My kids never skipped school only because I work at the high school! :lol: We have middle class white parents who will cover for their kids and/or pull them out of school to go shopping for prom dresses, etc. I often wonder how these people survive out in the "real" world. I feel guilty using a sick day when I've been up all night with the stomach flu, never mind that I sleep the whole day. I can't remember the last time I used a sick day; I'm not sick very often but when I am, I am really sick! :headache: I hope Jack is feeling better today! A sore back is no fun! :no:

I am off to read the Sunday paper. Have a peaceful Sunday, Flowers!

Jean -- :dancer: in Iowa!

gma22 10-19-2003 06:29 PM

CHICKEN AND GREEN CHILE CASSEROLE

2 4 ½ OZ BONELESS CHICKEN BREASTS
½ CUP UNCOOKED RICE
1 CAN LOWFAT (98% FAT FREE) CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP
1 CAN CHOPPED GREEN CHILES (GET THESE IN THE AISLE WHERE YOU FIND TACO SHELLS)
1 SMALL CAN BLACK OLIVES
¼ C GRATED LOWFAT CHEDDAR CHEESE

HEAT A SMALL PAN OF WATER TO BOILING. IN A BOWL PLACE SOUP, GREEN CHILES, DRAINED OLIVES AND RICE. ADD ONE SOUP CAN OF BOILING WATER TO THE MIX AND STIR UNTIL WELL BLEND. PLACE IN A ROUND CAKE PAN SPRAYED WITH PAM, PLACE BONELESS CHICKEN BREASTS ON TOP OF RICE MIX, BAKE FOR 35 MINUTES, REMOVE CASSEROLE AND SPRINKLE CHEESE OVER CHICKEN, BAKE REMAINING 10 MINUTES.

BAKE AT 400 DEGREES FOR 40-45 MINUTES. REMOVE CHICKEN TO A PLATE AND STICK RICE MIXTURE AND SERVE.

MAKES 2 SERVINGS 545 CALORIES/140 FAT CALORIES

I made this up tonight because I didn't just want chicken breast and baked potato for dinner. It turned out really good. BTW, green chiles are not spicy nor hot at all, just flavorful.

Jack is fine, Jean. I put Ben Gay on his back and he took ibuprophen and laid down and felt better when he woke up.

I need to get downstairs and clean up dinner dishes. Talk to you tomorrow!

Faye

Jean 10-19-2003 10:15 PM

"Gma" -- I grew up with Ben Gay and love the smell! Glad to hear the back is on the mend. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us. It sounds good.

I need to dry my last load of towels and figure out what I am wearing to school tomorrow. I am tired tonight and am heading to bed early.

Have a marvelous Monday, Flowers!

J. -- :yawn: in Iowa!

Jean 10-21-2003 12:12 AM

Just peeking in before I head off to bed. Hope your day was a good one and may tomorrow be an even better one!

Jean -- :yawn: in Iowa!