Is there anyone else who feels addicted to food? - Page 3 - 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 11:27 PM   #31  

I so know what you mean by all or nothing. I all or nothing'd my way to almost 300 pounds I never thought I would get here, but everytime I would mess up or get off the "plan" I would go crazy. So I don't have a plan any more. I have read the Dr Phil book once and will read it again, I am going to take what I like and leave the rest. One of the things I got out of it, is to eat foods as close to their natural state as possible! And just in doing that I have eliminated so much crap from my life, but it also lets me eat some yummy things. I have also decided that every night after a great and healthy dinner, I am going to have 1 piece of dove chocolate, then I am not totally deprived. Let me tell you how delicious that chocolate is. :sumg: And not once have I tried to eat more than the one piece. Except when I skipped it the day before. I can't explain it, but it works.
Also I dont' have have a plan, because this is [B][SIZE=3] FOREVER Not just until I loose so many pounds. I want to be able to eat healthy forever!

My goals this week? Eat what I have planned in advance, Drink all my water, be accountable here to you, and to be accepting of my self when I am not perfect.

So that's it. Maybe I won't lose weight fast, but it isn't about fast, it is about me and being happier. If I was happy at my weight today, I wouldn't have to change anything, but I need to change the things that are making me unhappy.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:43 AM   #32  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

Hi again! I'm back for some more babbling about my problems! Beware and be warned!

My biggest problem is consistency. No two days are alike around here! I quit teaching last year to stay home with my kids, thinking life can't get better than that! Well, it ain't all it's cracked up to be. I never want to go back to the classroom, not until the No Child Left Behind act is abolished (that's a whole other story). My stress has definetely been cut in half this year by leaving the profession. What do you teach, Storylady? I taught first for 6 years and fourth for 1.

Since no 2 days are the same, I can't get meals planned. My kids are VERY picky, my son has had a milk and egg allergy most of his life and will only eat certain foods now, and My daughter won't eat anything without cheese all over it. My husband hates my cooking. It's true! Actually, I don't care for it much either. I am NOT a cook. I ruin Rice-a-Roni. My meals consist of easy, cheap (no money anymore!), and plain. We love to go out to eat, so I try to plan very cheap meals often, like mac n cheese and hot dogs, so we can afford a meal out more. We don't eat around the table at home, so it's also nice to have the whole family at one table a few times a week. It makes our family happier, so we do it.

So healthy eating is not happening often. I like elbow noodles and tomato juice, slim fast shakes for breakfast (got hooked while teaching. Very fast and easy), Cream of Wheat, soups, and dry cereal. So trying to cook meals at home is not possible, if I intend to make EVERYONE happy. They like fatty, big meals. So I cook the mac n cheese and eat it too! Heck, I'm tired, hungry, and it smells good.

Another one of my obtacles is I can't eat fruit (bad for my stomach) and can't stand raw vegetables. I can eat cook veggies, but they don't satisfy my snack cravings. Eating a bowl of green beans when what I really want is a candy bar just doesn't cut it. I WISH I could eat fruits and veggies, that would help me BIG time to fight this battle of the Bulge. Instead, I try to find creative ways to satisfy my cravings at the time, either it be sweet, crunchy, salty, or all one right after another! This is what I need help with the most. What can I eat that will make my tongue happy, yet not make my stomach bigger??? Any suggestions from my cheerleaders?

Have a good one!
Heidi

PS how about some suggestions for a new group name for us?

I thought of one: "Gonna have to face it...We're addicted to food!" (instead of addicted to love!)
Old 10-21-2003, 11:13 AM   #33  

Heidi,
Wow you have a lot of obstacles. I know it's hard to change things especially when it involves other people. How old are your kids? I have two step kids who insist that I never cook anything they like, but they never starve when they are with us, and usually ask for seconds! I remember the first time one of them refused to eat something and we told that that was the only choice! He sat there for 30 min, but ended up eating 3 bowls of what ever it was!
Maybe start by changing one thing. Just one change. I know for me the first thing I started working on was eliminating white flour. I didn't realize how much of it I ate all the time! I forgot we eat TONS of pasta. Well I got some whole wheat flour and thought it was going to put us in the poor house, well we only ate about 1/2 as much as we usually do, it was more filling and it stayed with me longer. I am the queen of stretching the dollar sometimes so I was really glad about that!
I also have found that if I put more flavor in the foods I eat I am more satisfied. garlic, salt, wostershire sauce, soy sauce and the list goes on. I used horse radish the other day instead of mayo on my sandwich and I liked it better! it is the little changes that will make it work for you.

There are nights that my hubby wants something that I know isn't healthy for me, so I eat something else. I would rather cook twice and be healthy, than eat something that will make me regret it tomorrow.

For me the most important thing so far, is that I haven't put anything on a "don't" list. That sets me up to totally pig out on it. Like chocolate, one small piece every night and I don't feel deprived. If I want something else, I get the smallest serving of it and make sure to recognize the success of choosing a small serving, not look at it as a failure for eating it. It is all in attitude!
Old 10-21-2003, 05:44 PM   #34  
Waiting for ONEDERLAND!

S/C/G: 209/209/150

Height: 5'10"

I personally think that people CAN be addicted to food. Much like a drug addict is addicted to drugs, or smokers are addicted to ciggarettes. Food can yield addiction. And its sad when people say its your own fault for being overweight, or your simply born that way. I do believe that sometimes being overweight is hereditary but I hate how people say its your own fault, because a lot of times it isn't. Sure we all are a fault for overeating, but food is like a drug and sometimes people can't help it because its an addiction. And instead of being shunned, we should help eachother out... get a friend to help and say you know what, you don't need that extra slice of pizza, or get them to diet with you or something.. you know? I just hate how society treats people who are over weight. The butt of every joke, especially if you were overweight as a child.. anyone thats been there knows how hard it is and how CRUEL kids can be.

I really mean that yes food can be an addiction and I really think we need to start looking at it as that, and offering help to those instead of blaming them because it may be something beyond their control.

I know personally that I might have been or am addicted to food. I do have willpower but sometimes I can't resist that Buffalo Chicken Sandwitch or that bite of a chocolate bar. But ever since I've been seriously dieting I've been trying my hardest to cut it all down. And it hasn't been that difficult accept for when I get hungry at odd hours, or I'm still hungry after eating a sandwich or a full meal. But I think supressing that all comes with time.

My problem is that I EAT WHEN I AM BORED. If I'm toolin around on the computer and I'm just sitting around.. I'll run to the kitchen and look in the fridge.. or whatever. And I've been trying to snap out of that and so far its working.. I'll just go to the fridge and look rather than grabbing a candy bar or something. But sometimes its hard because I used to do that all the time, especially with soda. It would always be there and so I'd just drink it. I'd go through maybe 4-5 a day, and then whatever snacks I could find in the house would go along with it. But I've stopped drinking soda for the most part and only allow myself a small amount sweets (like a bite of a hershey bar) and thats it.. but its a constant battle..

Last edited by xDas7x; 10-21-2003 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:29 PM   #35  

I can totally relate to you saying you eat when you are bored. Name an emotion and it makes me eat. Happy, sad, nervous, excited, bored, sleepy on, and on and on.

I am doing my best to eat only at meals and if I have to have something between them I am only keeping healthy things around my house. I am also doing something else when I get the urge to eat. Lots of different things, that don't go with eating, chew gum, go for a walk, take a shower, crochet. Something that keeps my hands busy. It is working. And if I am eating healthier at meals I am not nearly as hungry.

I read in Dr Phil's book, you don't need will power 24 hours a day, you only need it for those critical times in your day. And that is when you do something different! So far it is working for me. I am not keeping track of weight or anything but I am feeling better emotionally and physically!
Old 10-21-2003, 07:35 PM   #36  

I like the name for or group "Gonna have to face it..." I love that song!

Lissamev, lots of great suggestions in your post, I agree with everything. Start small, one change, and don't deprive yourself anything altogether. Realizing you can have it, whatever it is, sometimes makes it easier to resist. It's the knowing you can't that sometimes makes you want it more. The thing I'm still working on is just one bite of chocolate. One taste and I'm gone, it's sets me up for cravings that are physical, not in my head. So I have to be very very careful.

Heidi, I teach in an elementary school, in the library so I see all grades, Pre-K through 6th grade. I have first and second grade every day for an hour though and they're 'my' kids. Days like today I wanted to head for the chocolate jar desperately after first grade left!! Don't think that because you can't snack on fruit or veggies that snacks are out of the question for you. What about nuts? Popcorn? Crackers? Can you have fruit if it's blended in a smoothie? Satisfies a sweet craving, is good for you, and filling too. Slim fast snack bars are as good as any candy bar and are only 120 calories (2 WW points), a very good snack I always have on hand. Breakfast bars like Nutrigrain bars are good and filling, string cheese, 6 slices of Deli Select Ham only 60 calories, yogurt, ff, sf pudding cups, (love to top with a dab of cool whip lite--yum!). Can you tell I am the Snack Queen!

xDas7x, good for you on cutting back on the sodas. Like Lissamev says, make one small change at a time. The success you feel is empowering and motivates you to keep going. And, sometimes the 'fake it til you make it' mentality helps get us going!

Great day all, Happy Humpday tomorrow
story, of Snacks
Old 10-22-2003, 09:30 AM   #37  

I like "Gonna have to face"...we're addicted to food...that is very cute. My suggestion.............

Accountability..."one moment at a time." Any more suggestions?
Old 10-22-2003, 12:22 PM   #38  

Hey beautiful ladies....Check out Chunktohunk.com under JOURNAL dated October 13......He really steps on our toes...Ouch!!..Very interesting? I ordered the book...his journal entry made me go huuuummm..so maybe his book will help..not to mention I am a true book-aholic too!
Old 10-22-2003, 12:37 PM   #39  

Skinny - let me know how the book is. That journal entry really did step on our toes. I went in thining this was going to be one of those know-it-all types, but it wasn't. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2003, 01:38 PM   #40  

I like one moment in time, helps us remember that it really is only one moment!!

So I was doing some thinking last night. my mom and sister are in 12 step programs for their addictions and I went to several meetings of a food addicts group. The reason I didn't stay was because it was more about cutting things totally out of my life and how to deal with avoiding them forever, rather than dealing with what makes me compulsive and feel addicted to them in the first pace. My sister has struggled for a long time with her addiction and their group places as much focus on the why as the what and I think that is what we need to keep in the front of our head. If I am eating because I am bored, well why am I bored? Sounds simple, but if I make sure to have something to do I won't be bored and I won't eat. If I eat because I am anxious, well what else can I do? I can call someone and talk about the problem. That solves two problems. I don't eat and I work out my anxiety. I am not saying I do this all the time by any stretch of the imagination, but I just was thinking about life in general last night and realizing that I need to spend as much time figuring out what is making me eat as making sure I am eating the right things in the right quantites.
Change has to be change all around not just in my kitchen. Am I making any sense? That is why I like the one moment thing, because if I take it one moment at a time it is not so overwhelming to me. and when I do that with the other things in my life, not just my food it works.

I have a lot of things going on, my husband and I are at the end of some serious therapy, and we have learned a lot about each other and we are going to be just fine, my sister is waiting to hear if she has cancer, we are trying to make all the mom's happy around the holidays, my step son is having some trouble, and the list goes on. My first reaction to all of this stuff? Ben and Jerrys but that won't work. So I am talking, for the first time in a long time, about that stuff I normally hold way deep inside, and you know what it is working.

Anyway, this seems like it is long and rambling, so I am going to stop, but if there is anyone who needs to talk or what ever I am heare, because I know how much it really works, you can e-mail, private message, or call, I'll give you my number. We have to have people in our lives who know what we are going through. I know we all have lots of friends who are there for us, but just don't get it, you know the size six who has gained 2 pounds just doesn't know what it is like!!!

Anyway, my vote is one moment at a time. Hope everyone is good.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:40 PM   #41  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

I'm writing here to you guys to say good bye. The support you've been giving me was GREAT, but I've made up my mind that losing weight on my own is just not going to happen. My addiction is just too big to conquer, and I'm getting heavier and heavier. I'm sorry to say that I'm going back to my medication prescribed to me last year. It's called Adipex and it's a phen. A lot of people frown big time on my using a diet aid like this, but it's the only thing that has helped me lose weight in the past.

Last November, I started taking Adipex from the advice of my MIL and SIL, both of which lost 30 and 40 lbs respectively. I was scared, but wanted to try something that just may work. Nothing else did, and I was very depressed/chunky/obsessed with food, you know the drill. Even after just one day taking the medication, I felt a huge difference on how I thought about food. I was no longer fighting myself to stop eating. Food was hardly on my mind at all, and I ate less. It was so fantastic that after all those years, I had control over my mind and my HUGE cravings. I could eat or not eat, and I actually ate when I was hungry! And I was actually hungry! Wow, what a feeling! (and I never once felt jittery. That was a plus)

I took the medication till May, and went from 162 lbs to 139 lbs. There were several reasons why I had to stop. One was because I just quit my teaching job and our income was slashed by more than half. We had to cut back in all areas of spending. Another reason was sleep. I had to keep taking sleeping pills everynight and I was afraid it was harming me. The last reason was because I totally forgot how it felt before I started taking the medication. I thought I had it all under control and I could maintain the weight loss on my own. I was home and able to work out more.

5 months later, and I'm out of control again. I'm up to about 160 lbs, and gaining quickly. I eat uncontrollably, mainly because I'm obsessed with dieting and everything. I'm disgusted in myself and how I let things go. I haven't exercised (didn't take in consideration my 3 year old and 6 year old. They make daily exercise a major challange. They are very clingy and possessive with me.). My MIL told me to start taking Melatonin for my sleeping problems, and it's been working out very well for me. Because of all of this, I've decided to give my medication another try. The doctor says I can take half a pill a day, so this will be cheaper for me. I want to feel that "in control" feeling again. I want to feel normal and eat when I'm hungry.

Thank you for letting me join your group. You are all very special people to me. I don't want to offend anyone here by talking about my weight loss using "diet pills", so I'm not going to say anything about it here. I wish everyone a huge GOOD LUCK, and I hope you can conquer your addiction to food one day at a time. You all deserve the best!

Thank you,
Heidi
Old 10-23-2003, 09:41 PM   #42  

Heidi...I 100% sympathize with you. To be able to conquer the "out of control" overwhelming feeling pull that food has over us has got to be wonderful; whether it be on your on or with medication help?...I wish you all the best!..Please come back and post sometimes to let us know how you are doing. Thank-you for being so blantently HONEST.
Closed Thread