Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 12:34 PM   #31  
Domestic Engineer

Good morning everyone!
It's a beautiful Fall day today- I love this time of year!! Ginny- I don't can tons, but think I will get more into it next year. I've done tomatoes this year and raspberry syrup. I usually do strawberry and raspberry freezer jam. I've done peaches once and I have some apples for applesauce. I love having a stocked pantry! lol

Well, you guys have me wanting to count points! But I don't want to join right away- can't afford it right now anyway. My sister was just talking about joining on Friday too and I'm wondering if she decided to. Can you find out your points on-line or could one of you tell me what it is for my weight?

Every month some girlfriends and I get together for a dinner- we all take turns hosting and choosing the main dish...anyway, this month's is tonight so I'm gearing up for it. I'm going to try to enjoy a little bit of everything, but really watch my portions! I'm making a low-fat crab/spinach dip and toasting some pita chips- guess I'll stick with that if everything else is BAD!

Ricci-eeewwwwww! SO glad that wasn't worse!!!! Last year we had rain for 3 days straight and the sewers backed up...everyone around us had water (sewage-yuck!) ankle deep in their basements. I don't know how we were so lucky! What kind of jewelry do you make?

to everyone doing so well!!!

bbl
Old 09-30-2003, 01:35 PM   #32  
One day at a time.

Emily, your points target is 28, you and I have the same target! If you're wanting to join WW, you might want to check, because they've been having a special~ no joining fee, you only pay for the weekly fee for your first week! Anyway, it's a great program and so easy to stick with, I love it!!! My weigh in is tonight so cross your fingers!!!

Ricci, you poor thing! Your luck sounds about like mine, something always goes wrong, there's always some challenge to deal with around here. I'm glad they got it fixed for you!

Spryng, you go girl! I hope your energy and will are contagious!

Hello to everyone! Ginny, Jen~ Hi!

I'll be back after weigh in!

Last edited by mel17; 09-30-2003 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:47 PM   #33  
hangin' in there...

Hey girls........ had a little snooze and almost feeling human again.

Ginny, Spryng, thanks for the opinions. I am trying hard to stay very close to my target points during the week because I tend to take the weekends "off" and I know I will use all of my flex points on Saturday and Sunday! We are big football fans here, and we always have our own little "tailgate" parties in the living room on Sunday. And this weekend, we may be heading to a fair with lots of yummy food. So, I don't want to use them up during the week. Yesterday, I had planned out my food for the day so I would have just 1/2 point left at the end, but I didn't get that apple crisp in before midnight, so it went towards today's points instead. But I will definitely get all my points in today, even if I have to force myself to indulge in a bit of frozen yogurt to get there!

Emily, I would have to look up the points for your weight. I know that you get 22 points if you weigh 150lbs-173lbs, and 24 points for over 174lbs, but I don't know what the top of that range is. Enjoy your dinner with friends.... it sounds like great fun! How about sharing that recipe?

Ricci, what a bummer about the neighbor's toilet! (sorry, sleep-deprivation efects my warped sense of humor!). Glad you got it cleared up before there was any real damage.

Well, I gotta get my butt in gear and get a workout in, then get the house picked up. Tuesday evenings are crazy, with dd needing to get to/from dance class, and ds has a street hockey game........ both at the same time, and during the dinner hours. I may not get back here til tomorrow.... hope everyone has a good evening..........
Old 09-30-2003, 02:48 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Good afternoon all!
I just jumped on here for a second.
Ginny, no I'm not babysitting that little girl this week, and I wasn't being paid for it. I did it as a favor to my couin (it was her boyfriends neice) but I don't think I will do it again. It drained me. I was never one of those girls that liked to babysit growing up... so I didn't. I adore my kids and they are about all I can handle, lol.
But for us WW gals I came accross a very neat recipe I thought we could try. It's call the Diet Coke Cake. Heard of it?
Ok here it is:
1 box cake mix
1 can diet soda
Mix dry cake mix and 10-12 oz of diet soda and then bake in oven for recommended baking times on the cake mix box. That's it!
Point values vary depending on cake mix. But just tally the points for the cake mix, not the extra stuff the box calls for. Everyone I hear that has tried it loves it!
Some say to add 2 eggs whites to firm it up a little more and some say it's fine without. You have to decide that on your own. Also you can use your imagination and try out different combinations, like diet coke with chocolate..or diet sprite with yellow... etc. Some use fruit for topping and others use FF cool whip w/ sugar free cocoa mix powder mixed together... the possibilities are endless!
I'm going shopping tomorrow and plan to try the diet coke with chocolate one. I'll let you know how it turns out when I make it. But it sounded interesting so I wanted to post it here for us!
Ok, got to go. TTYL!
Old 09-30-2003, 03:22 PM   #35  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

Emily - If you want to do WW now but cannot afford to join, along with the gals here to help you, check out Dottie's Weight Loss Zone she is AWESOME and that site helped me lose my 56 pounds on WW back in 1999. She has everything you can think of plus WW message boards for strickly WW. I think she still does regional get togethers too!

I am having a great day so far. I am going to get on the treadmill in a few, but I thought I would check in!

Hugs to all!
Old 09-30-2003, 11:19 PM   #36  
Made my Goal weight!

Talking Spryng

Hi there

Yes, the program I am on us VERY restrictive, but it is giving me the results I want...
Yes, I am working out faithfully at least 5 times a week. I am in "training" to run a 10km run by next May. I am presently up to running 6km (my longest run to date) but no less than 3km the other days I run....AT least twice a week, my 2 month old son and I "strollersize", which is a group that walks around a track doing various exercises...it's a wonderful class, it is great also because it works areas different from when I run, and it is a social class too....other than that, I have a pilates tape that I have been doing because I am trying to tone all that yucky flabby skin I have from being pregnant...
WHat is everyone else doing?? I know working out is not always fun, but over the years I find I enjoy it a lot...For me, it also helps having a goal MONTH and working towards it, drives me to try as hard as I can each time I work out...
Sorry to go on about myself so much, I would really like to know what everyone else does and what they found has worked for them and what hasnt...???
Leanne
Old 09-30-2003, 11:43 PM   #37  

Good evening all!
Leanne... I have been on a ton of diets. Atkins, Carb addicts diet, low fat, very low fat and high fiber, food combining, rotation diet, pills, slimfast, the list goes on and on... all of these worked to an extent but wasn't for me. I couldn't make them part of my lifestyle. So now I am on WW, this is week 3 for me. I feel like it is home, you know? Something I can do even after I reach my goal weight. I am also doing one of my Firm Dvd's everyday and feel the results. It sounds like you are doing what is right for you and that is great. I think any program can be successful if a person is dedicated and views it as permanent and not just a quick fix. I was so bad about starting diets just thinking that as soon as I hit my goal weight I could go back to "normal" eating. Well, after a few years of trying and never succeeding... I now know that you have to modify your lifestyle in order for anything to work for you and I can never go back to how I ate when I was 18 and had no weight issues. I'll never be that thin without trying teenager again. I'm ok with that. Ok, but enough preaching to the choir, lol. You have great goals and a good workout routine. I'm so glad you have joined us to encourage one another to make it! You sound very motivated!
Karen, I hope you have time to post more! How was your treadmill workout? I really want to buy one next year. Can you run on yours? I really want to take up running and a treadmill is the only place I can do it since I can't take all three kids running down the street with me! lol.
Well my day has been LONG. Their not kidding when they call it the terrible twos are they?? But I did end the day on target (I'm even enjoying a bowl of healthy choice rocky road ice cream!! YUM) and I got my workout in. I did the abs sculpt tonight for the first time and I have a feeling I will be very sore tomorrow. It was quite the workout. Can I say again how thrilled I am for buying those DVDs? I just love them! I actually look forward to doing one everynight. That is a first for me. I used to have to force myself to get some exercise in and now I can't wait until the kids get in bed, I talk to my DH and then pop in my workout. It's a wonderful way for me to unwind after a long day.
Well, guess I'll get off here. I promised myself that I would get in bed at a decent hour tonight. TTYL!
Old 10-01-2003, 07:02 AM   #38  
burned out bus driver

Good morning!!!!
This is gonna be short....I have yet to go to work yet.
Spryng- which DVD's are you using? (brain dead me.....) Hope you are not too sore today!

Leanne- great for you getting all that excercise in! If you find anything good for the flabby skin......let me know. My tummy (after 3 kiddies) needs a face lift!

Ricci- aw you poor thing with the neighbors toilet. Hope the cleanup was not too bad!

Karen- hope your day finished off as well as it started. Did you get your workout in?

Jen- your life sounds as nuts as mine...... Sounds like you are doing fine on WW. And a good idea to save those flex points for the weekend. I try to save them for tough days also.

Melissa- well........how was your WI!!!!! I am sure great- you did so well on WW B4.

Emily- gotta love that fall weather.....it is here too! You have lots of WW help here at this thread......there are so many of us on it. Your DS should be able to help too if she joins.

No walk for me today....I am pooped and getting a cold. So I slept in until 5:20 . Tomorrow DM is having some minor surgery- but Dd and I will be heading down to bring her home from the hospital. (got the afternoon off). I won't be going to a meeting this week.....just too much on tap otherwise. Today I have a ton of errands to do to get ready for not being home at all tomorrow......does life ever settle down? Gotta go wake up Dd for school. Somehow, I will get at least one AP in today. Have a great day!
Ginny
Old 10-01-2003, 10:10 AM   #39  
I'm a Jovi Girl

S/C/G: 225/169.5/140

HI Everyone!

I didnt get my walk in yesterday. It was so busy! I dont know if I ever mentioned this, but one of my crochet students is 53 and dying of breast cancer. She just had her first grandchild last month and we have been working since June on getting a layette done for her. Well, she is really not feeling well now. At first the doctor told her she ouldnt live past September, but she is still here and yesterday the doctor told her that if it wasnt for the cancer, she is really healthy, heart lungs, live kidneys are all functioning at a 30 year olds rate! So she will be with us for a bit longer (She has been battling for 7 years now). But the chemo is getting to her. So I had to finish the booties for her. She did the Afghan, Saque and bonnet. But I feel great about helping her a bit!

Leanne - I work out at my gym 4-5 days a week. I use the treadmill, eliptical and do resistance training on the machines as well as using free weights. My goal for 2004 is to walk in a 3 or 5 K. Eventually I want to run as well.

Spryng - Yes, you can run on my home treadmill. I got it at Sears almost 3 years ago now. I do love it as it has the incline, heart monitor, random setting, etc. When I was running a couple of years ago, it was awesome! If you get one, I highly recomend sears service (I got a proform treadmill) becasue they come out every year and clean it as well as tune it up. Because I have them do that, it hasnt broken down on me yet. But then again, I only use it 2-3 times a week now instead of the 4-5 like I used to.

today I go in to the gym and have my 4 week WI and measure for the wall of success! I promise to post my results when I get back! I will post more later too!
Old 10-01-2003, 10:30 AM   #40  
hangin' in there...

Good morning, girls.

Well, I am feeling rested today! We got home from ds's street hockey game at 7:45pm last night. I helped the kids get in their jammies, donned mine, then stretched out on my bed for "just a moment"..... I was out til 5am this morn when dd woke me to tell me she thought something was wrong with "Buddy" (her fish.... he was fine)! I went back to sleep and didn't get up til 7am! Whew..... I never even heard dh getting the kids to bed last night!

Karen, can't wait to hear your results today..... you are doing great! I am very sorry to hear about your student with BC..... I hope she feels better soon. I have a very dear friend who is a BC survivor. She is doing well, thank God.

Spryng, I can commiserate on the terrible 2's. For some reason, my older two kids never seemed bad at 2, but this last one is a challenge! And, I always thought 3 was worse than 2, and he'll be hitting that stage next month! I am glad you are liking your Firm series...... you sound the same way I feel about the WATP tapes. I do them in the morning, after the kids leave for school and while ds watches The Wiggles. I actually look forward to doing them and am feeling so strong because of it.

Ginny, I can sympathize with your "tummy troubles"! I have NEVER had a flat tummy, even as a teenager when I was otherwise thin. After 3 preganancies and c-sections..... well, UGH!!! But, I have to tell you, I think the WATP for Abs tapes are helping!!! They use a belt with resistance bands, and the aerobic intensity is greater than the tapes that use the weights, but still low-impact. You should check them out.... especially if you are looking for something new for the winter. Sorry about your cold..... I hope you feel better quickly and are able to get some rest.

Leeann, to answer you on the exercise question..... as I mentioned above, I like doing the Walk Away the Pounds tapes. I have six of them....... 3 use hand weights and 3 use the belt with resistance bands. They come in 1 mile, 2 mile and 3 mile workouts. I do the 2 mile tapes the most, and I use the 1 miles for those days after I've worked all night and I don't have much energy. The 3 miles are very intense, so I save those for when I'm feeling VERY strong! I also have a recumbant bike, which I haven't used much lately, but I will go to if I get bored of the tapes. And, I supplement, to, with some outdoor walking and hiking, and an occasional power skate at the rink. Two months ago, it was a struggle just to even think about exercising. But since I've kept it up regularly, I feel so good and hate it when I miss a work-out. I shoot for 5 days/week, or more.

So gang, what's for dinner tonight? I have some ground chicken thawing and will make chicken meatloaf with mashed potatos. Add some 0 point cooked steamed broccoli and that's an 8 point dinner for me. I had a 4 point breakfast, so I still have 10 points to play with for the day...... plenty for a good lunch and a snack or two.

Well, off to hit the shower, then get some things done. I have tonight off from work and the kids have no activities, but we do have a builder coming (right in the middle of dinner...... dh does not think!) to talk about our addition. Never a dull moment! Hope everyone is well..... have a great day!

Last edited by gemini; 10-01-2003 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:32 AM   #41  
soontobethin

hey guys, started a new thread. see you there
Old 10-01-2003, 10:37 PM   #42  
Made my Goal weight!

Smile HI Ladies.....

Well, sounds like I am not the only one struggling through the terrible two's.Spryng, I hope the terrible two's stop VERY soon, my son is drving me nuts with the temper tantrums and the "no's", I can't believe how all of a sudden he is repeating us, so we have to watch our language all the time.....he goes to pre-school right now, he is the youngest there and he can be so mean....and moody....and if I hear the word "mine" again I may scream........but even with that I wouldnt change it for the world!
Ginny-so far I am doing this "pick your spot pilates" tape, it does 10 minutes for each of your belly, bum and thighs......so far so good, but at this point I think ANYTHING will help my belly....Although, I hear doing 500 crunches a day works too.yuck!
Well, I am going to attempt another run tomorrow, about6-6.5km.....hopefully it goes well.......

Good night all.....

Leanne
Old 10-02-2003, 08:54 AM   #43  

Hi Leanne! A new thread was started. Go up to the support forum and look for SAHM # 89, after these threads become a few pages long someone starts a new one.... see you there!
Closed Thread