Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Default Major discrepencies in calories for chicken

I eat a lot of boneless, skinless grilled chicken thighs. However, when I went online to check for the calorie count, it seems everyone said something different. One place was as high as 70 calories per ounce, whereas another was as low as 32 calories per ounce.

I see that Walmart's deli sliced turkey is only 25 calories per ounce, and grilled, frozen talapia (which I eat a lot) is only 30 calories per ounce. I fail to see how another lowfat meat - grilled chicken - could then be 70 calories per ounce compared to the others. I think 35 calories per ounce seems reasonable, but I'm curious as to what others have.

Last edited by tricon7; 03-10-2012 at 04:02 PM.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #2  

Boneless, skinless chicken breast is low in calories. If you weigh it raw, it is 50 calories per oz. If you weigh it cooked, it is 30 calories per oz. The difference in calories is due to the water being cooked out, so that cooked chicken is denser.

Hope that helps!

ETA: Sorry, I misread your post; I thought you were asking about boneless, skinless chicken breast.

Last edited by lin43; 03-10-2012 at 02:44 PM.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #3  

Height: 5'3"

Calorieking has it as 59 cal/oz. for roasted, meat only, without skin chicken thigh, sounds about right. The USDA site has it at 66 cal/oz.

As with PP...make sure you account for whether the calorie count listed is for raw or cooked.

Last edited by emiloots; 03-10-2012 at 02:44 PM.
emiloots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiloots View Post
Calorieking has it as 59 cal/oz. for roasted, meat only, without skin chicken thigh, sounds about right. The USDA site has it at 66 cal/oz.

As with PP...make sure you account for whether the calorie count listed is for raw or cooked.
However, SparkPeople, for example, has chicken thigh meat at 32 calories an ounce. Who is correct? They both appear equally valid.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/calories-...+chicken+thigh

Even their motto seems to make them as much to be believed as anyone else.

Discover thousands of healthy living articles, videos, quizzes and more–all created and reviewed by SparkPeople's experts!

Last edited by tricon7; 03-10-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

<<If you weigh it raw, it is 50 calories per oz. If you weigh it cooked, it is 30 calories per oz. The difference in calories is due to the water being cooked out, so that cooked chicken is denser.>>

That's right, cooked chicken is denser, so has MORE calories per oz than raw chicken. Perhaps your numbers are reversed?

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #6  

This doesn't make sense, since the Walmart deli turkey I buy is cooked, and it's only 50 calories for two ounces.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:11 AM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

FitDay says boneless skinless chicken thigh meat is around 30 calories per ounce.

All calorie counts, regardless of source, are averages. Many are simply calculated averages as well. There is no way of knowing exactly how many calories are in the piece of chicken on your plate, regardless of which source you use.

I'd say, choose one source for your calorie counts and stick with it. Make sure you are always looking at the same quantities (per ounce, per 28 grams, whatever). Also, make sure that you are aware of what the label is calling a "serving." Sometimes the "serving" size isn't 1 ounce.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 03-11-2012 at 07:29 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #8  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

This is about the best comparison I've found. I don't think this difference will make or break your calorie budget.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/27...n-information/
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #9  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricon7 View Post
I see that Walmart's deli sliced turkey is only 25 calories per ounce, and grilled, frozen talapia (which I eat a lot) is only 30 calories per ounce. I fail to see how another lowfat meat - grilled chicken - could then be 70 calories per ounce compared to the others. I think 35 calories per ounce seems reasonable, but I'm curious as to what others have.
FWIW, chicken thighs are a fattier cut of meat--certainly fattier than chicken breasts and tilapia. It isn't surprising that they would have higher calories per ounce.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietVet View Post
FWIW, chicken thighs are a fattier cut of meat--certainly fattier than chicken breasts and tilapia. It isn't surprising that they would have higher calories per ounce.
I know that dark meat isn't as lean as white meat, but grilled chicken of either type isn't considered a "fatty" cut of meat. I've also found that even dark chicken meat is only just barely higher in calories than talapia. Of all kinds of meat, it's one of the leanest available, which is why it's so popular within the dieting and bodybuilding crowd.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelancemomma View Post
<<If you weigh it raw, it is 50 calories per oz. If you weigh it cooked, it is 30 calories per oz. The difference in calories is due to the water being cooked out, so that cooked chicken is denser.>>

That's right, cooked chicken is denser, so has MORE calories per oz than raw chicken. Perhaps your numbers are reversed?

F.
LOL! I suppose that's why I'm not a math teacher . Yes, it's the opposite.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #12  

If you want to surprise and please your family with something, then you definitely need to cook such sandwiches.

club.cooking/recipe/grilled-chicken-sandwich/
Everyone will be crazy about him.

Ingredients
1 pound chicken breasts sliced in half
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
teenspirit1s is offline   Reply With Quote