Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-26-2015, 06:59 PM   #1  

Default Belly fat! Surgery the only fix?

I'm in a dilemma: go for a year of working out and healthy diet or start looking into surgery? My belly gets me really down. Would love to hear your thoughts!

Last edited by Healthyfatloss; 03-16-2019 at 09:30 PM.
Healthyfatloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:01 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Hi there, and welcome to 3FC!

I wish I knew the answer to that, because I also have a "fat pannus" - and have always had a "little pooch" - even when I was a teenager and weighed 130 lbs and played 3 sports! Some folks call it an "apron" - but, I dislike mine a lot, as well.

It has definitely gone down as I've lost more weight, but my dreams of a bikini (and feeling confident in it) are a long way off, even though I'm pretty close to my goal.

I've thought of a tummy tuck, but honestly, I'm not willing to go through with another surgery unless it's medically needed. Just too much risk involved, especially now that I have a total knee replacement!

I've also looked into cool sculpting, as I've read this is a viable solution to problem areas - specifically good for belly, inner thighs and upper arms. Non-surgical option, though I've read differing reports of the pain involved in recovery. But, after having a total knee replacement, I'm not overly concerned about any pain anymore!

I will likely look into cool sculpting more once I hit my goal and see how mine looks.

Good luck!
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #3  
Warrior Princess

Workout for a year and lift weights, then reevaluate.

ETA: Also cut way down on carbs/sugar.

Last edited by novangel; 07-28-2015 at 05:53 PM.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 214/195/165

Height: 5'4"

Healthyfatloss is your belly (which is not very big at all!) from weight loss? How did you lose the weight? Did you do it very quickly? Were you overweight for a long time before?

Last edited by HaveDogWillDiet; 07-28-2015 at 07:05 PM.
HaveDogWillDiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:48 PM   #5  
Covered in Cat Hairs

S/C/G: 298/249.5/170

Height: 168cm

I have a pooch too and i hate it! I understand your frustration. I'd say definitely try the strength training first. I have heard good stories of people who have toned loose skin really well through strength training long-term. I wish you best of luck either way! I feel your pain!
MsTibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:09 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
Workout for a year and lift weights, then reevaluate.

ETA: Also cut way down on carbs/sugar.
Thanks for the reply! I think a year of dedicated excercise and clean diet reducing sugar and carbs is a good direction - worst thing that can happen is I improve my health and slightly improve this awful belly!
Old 07-29-2015, 07:11 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTibbles View Post
I have a pooch too and i hate it! I understand your frustration. I'd say definitely try the strength training first. I have heard good stories of people who have toned loose skin really well through strength training long-term. I wish you best of luck either way! I feel your pain!
Thank you! The dreaded pooch! I'm not looking for a perfect Victoria secret model body but just one that I'm not ashamed to show anyone. I really feel it holds me back in my relationship. Good luck to you too! X
Old 07-29-2015, 07:14 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveDogWillDiet View Post
Healthyfatloss is your belly (which is not very big at all!) from weight loss? How did you lose the weight? Did you do it very quickly? Were you overweight for a long time before?
I have always had this type of hanging belly - I was a fat kid and a fat teen, raised in a home where mom decided what we eat and we weren't allowed to leave anything on our plates. left home at 19 and the weight just dropped off without any dieting or exercise. I went from around 210 lb (don't know for sure as I avoided scales like the plague) to 140 lb in a year and have been steady around there ever since.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:37 PM   #9  

Default Update 3 years later

Well y’all, I did it! I spent a year working out and eating non processed food / carb cycling and I lost 25lb and I’m now 127lb!
The loose skin never got much better so I had surgery to remove it. Best decision for me.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:29 PM   #10  
Making it a lifestyle!

Height: 5'9.5"

Fantastic! I'm so excited for you. Can you post any update pics?
Chronostasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #11  

Healthy, congrats on your successful weight loss, you're tummy wasn't all that bad to start with but I understand your desire to lose that loose skin after a substantial weight loss.my first wife had that loose skin on her stomach after losing 100 lbs or whatever long before I ever met her. It is kind of obvious how one gets that, she never would talk about it but I don't need to be a MD to know there was a big loss in her past. The extra skin never bothered me but I certainly get why one might want to tighten things up after all the effort required to drop a lot weight provided you can afford the elective surgery. Great job anyway you slice it up, and very nice you had the courage to post pictures of your belly when you were obviously noticably overweight, that could actually help to motivate you to lose, like here I am and this is what I want to do, well done !
FrankB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:10 PM   #12  

Thanks for the kind words!
Old 03-16-2019, 09:11 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronostasis View Post
Fantastic! I'm so excited for you. Can you post any update pics?
Yes I will post pics as soon as I can
Old 03-16-2019, 09:24 PM   #14  

Default Updated progress pics!

Pics are below. Between the before and the after I lost 25lb and had loose skin removal.

https://imgur.com/a/0QtoYES

Last edited by Healthyfatloss; 03-16-2019 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Pics not showing up
Old 03-22-2019, 05:55 PM   #15  
Faith. Family. Fitness.

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'2"

I'm 23 and I have a wrinkly belly pooch. It looks like I've birthed 3 children but I'm not even a mom (yet).
You're not alone.
Based off of the conversations I've had with my plastic surgeon, a plastic surgeon will want you to lose a bit more weight (Do what novangel said!) and they expect you to maintain your weight for a year or two before doing a tummy-tuck. Cost of a tummy tuck (skin removal) with my surgeon would be around $8,000 - $10,000. But it's different everywhere.
EmilyLarnder is offline   Reply With Quote