Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-27-2019, 09:18 AM   #1  

Default Eating 1500 calories a day for a month and no loss (need help losing)

Hello! This is my first ever time posting here so please forgive me if I mess anything up. A little backstory I tried doing 1500 calories for a month and stayed at my current weight which is 193 as a 5 foot 8 male. 1500 calories is a caloric deficit for me and in theory I should have lost some weight (I was not exercising at this time). My friends have suggested to me to keep 1500 cals if I want and to do 30 min of cardio everyday (treadmill is easiest for me as I have one in my basement) and that would help do the trick. I have been doing this averaging about 260 cals burned every session. I am also now doing 16-8 intermittent fasting also eating at 12pm-8pm. I also eat on campus but at restaurants such as Panda Express and Subway so I know my calorie count is accurate as I put whatever I eat into MFP. Would this exercise be the kicker or am I just being too impatient?
soodthedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

When you say you are eating 1500 calories a day are you adding in the exercise calories? That is usually WAY off and MFP typically does that automatically (wish they did not). Also the food you do eat. Have you verified the numbers and including things llik cheese and condiments. I am not sure how much I would rely on values reported by fast food vendors.

193 for a 5'8" male may be a bit overweight but you are not so far from your target I would imagine and the closer to goal you get the harder it gets to loose. But that surely looks like a major deficit which is confusing if it is, indeed, accurate. Drink lots of water. Get plenty of good quality sleep. Both are needed.
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 10:41 AM   #3  

Not adding in the exercise calories at all. Yes I have verified the numbers adding everything up that I put in there. Also drinking plenty of water and getting 6-7 hours of sleep a day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
When you say you are eating 1500 calories a day are you adding in the exercise calories? That is usually WAY off and MFP typically does that automatically (wish they did not). Also the food you do eat. Have you verified the numbers and including things llik cheese and condiments. I am not sure how much I would rely on values reported by fast food vendors.

193 for a 5'8" male may be a bit overweight but you are not so far from your target I would imagine and the closer to goal you get the harder it gets to loose. But that surely looks like a major deficit which is confusing if it is, indeed, accurate. Drink lots of water. Get plenty of good quality sleep. Both are needed.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:13 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 313/175/147

Height: 5'7.5

I have found that the calories reported from fast food and other restaurants are often not what you think they are. For example, a subway sandwich calories don’t include the condiments or the cheese (there’s a fair chunk of calories) so in my tracker I’d have to add that in. They’re reporting the base calories, so if you get a sub with no cheese and limited veggies and no sauce then it would be an accurate 580 calories or whatever - but if you add in mayo and cheese that’s an extra 200 easy. Each nibble and sip here and there adds up, even if it’s not seemingly worth calculating it is making a difference. Because at that caloric deficit you should definitely be losing weight (barring any medical condition) - my problems with weight loss have always been that I am not being honest with my numbers (either not knowing or otherwise).

You’re doing great, and exercise will help you have more energy and tone you up - keep at it and maybe take a double look at how each restaurant and place you are going is calculating their servings. The best thing I ever did was buy a food scale so I could really know what a serving size was by weight.
JulesMarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:08 PM   #5  

I'd rather stick to panda then as I believe their serving sizes are true ish. Do you think the extra exercise will help me finally get the weight loss?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMarion View Post
I have found that the calories reported from fast food and other restaurants are often not what you think they are. For example, a subway sandwich calories don’t include the condiments or the cheese (there’s a fair chunk of calories) so in my tracker I’d have to add that in. They’re reporting the base calories, so if you get a sub with no cheese and limited veggies and no sauce then it would be an accurate 580 calories or whatever - but if you add in mayo and cheese that’s an extra 200 easy. Each nibble and sip here and there adds up, even if it’s not seemingly worth calculating it is making a difference. Because at that caloric deficit you should definitely be losing weight (barring any medical condition) - my problems with weight loss have always been that I am not being honest with my numbers (either not knowing or otherwise).

You’re doing great, and exercise will help you have more energy and tone you up - keep at it and maybe take a double look at how each restaurant and place you are going is calculating their servings. The best thing I ever did was buy a food scale so I could really know what a serving size was by weight.
Old 02-27-2019, 02:12 PM   #6  

No need to pass on subway, just be aware of the add ins and account for them. Exercise and accurate tracking will definitely get you progress! Also check in with the doc if those added measures don’t get you results. Also keep in mind that it takes time and consistency. Doing well all week and having one cheat day can undo all the progress.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:06 PM   #7  

by one day of cheat day what if I was still at my calorie deficit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMarion View Post
No need to pass on subway, just be aware of the add ins and account for them. Exercise and accurate tracking will definitely get you progress! Also check in with the doc if those added measures don’t get you results. Also keep in mind that it takes time and consistency. Doing well all week and having one cheat day can undo all the progress.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:45 PM   #8  
mjf

What you eat is more important than how much you eat. I'm not very familiar with Panda Express's menu and Subway's menu, but some of their foods are healthier than others. At subway, the roll is healthier if you pick a whole grain roll. Some of the sandwiches may be high in saturated fat or sodium.

At either restaurant, try to pick something that has a lot of vegetables in it.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:47 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by soodthedude View Post
by one day of cheat day what if I was still at my calorie deficit?
If you are consistently at a deficit you should be fine. If you don't track your cheat day then you could be undoing the work you have been doing during your 1500 calorie days. One 4000 calorie day can undo a weeks efforts. This is assuming you have a cheat day once a week or so - not everyone does! Also remember that drinks have a lot of calories in them as well.

Last edited by JulesMarion; 03-01-2019 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:41 PM   #10  

Many times we count calories, but not all calories are the same. For example, white sugar only provides calories, compared to honey which provides calories and nutrients, nutrients such as minerals, enzymes and antioxidants.

One of the things that many times we do not have in cueta, is the state of our intestinal flora. This determines the amount of calories we put in the body. For example, I know siblings who eat more or less the same, and one is gorodo and another skinny, doing both the same exercise.

Another factor is the matabolism that we carry, because it can be accelerated or challenged. And something also very important is the you are, because this only has damage.

There are people who kill themselves in the gym, and then take a lot of junk food, and is very little active at home.

For me, what works the most is to reduce my food intake, relax and exercise in moderation.
javfra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:37 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post

Very good thoughts some error in calculating intake of calories is quite possible.

IMO some medical problem is much less likely.

You are a wise woman and give solid opinions/advice and one has to respect someone that has successfully lost 100 lbs and maintained it . You're a true asset to the forum

Last edited by FrankB; 03-16-2019 at 09:39 AM.
FrankB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:05 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by soodthedude View Post
Hello! This is my first ever time posting here so please forgive me if I mess anything up. A little backstory I tried doing 1500 calories for a month and stayed at my current weight which is 193 as a 5 foot 8 male. 1500 calories is a caloric deficit for me and in theory I should have lost some weight (I was not exercising at this time). My friends have suggested to me to keep 1500 cals if I want and to do 30 min of cardio everyday (treadmill is easiest for me as I have one in my basement) and that would help do the trick. I have been doing this averaging about 260 cals burned every session. I am also now doing 16-8 intermittent fasting also eating at 12pm-8pm. I also eat on campus but at restaurants such as Panda Express and Subway so I know my calorie count is accurate as I put whatever I eat into MFP. Would this exercise be the kicker or am I just being too impatient?
I am having the same issue but for years I have noticed that exercise of any kind makes me gain some weight. Accordingly if you are say, losing 1 lb per week, and you are exercising (gaining water weight) you may not see it for months. So I would say, stay on target. Maybe do IF so that one day per week you cut calories.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote