Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/140

Height: 5'7

Default Constantly giving into temptation

I'm constantly shooting myself in the foot. I'll have a good couple of days, only to then think, " you know, I deserve a cheat day" and then BOOM, it's been 5 days of endless bad eating( and drinking). I'm currently 24, nearly 250 female. Battled my weight for a long time and college lifestyle was just a downward spiral.

What do I do to avoid giving in?
ChangeTheTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 193/159/140

Height: 5'9"

Awww (((ChangeTheTide)))

Likely everyone on this site has experienced what you're going through. It's so difficult right? Whenever I'm in stages where I can't stop over-eating, I've either just not been mentally ready to commit to an eating plan, or I've got too much going on to put the mental effort in. I've found that choosing an actual eating plan that's supported with lots of literature (rather than winging it on my own) has been the best way for me to go. This way, before I even start the eating plan, I've read a couple books, found an online site where I can talk with people and get support.

Eating plans, no matter which one a person chooses, requires planning. Thinking out your meals ahead of time, buying the groceries to make those meals, and avoiding situations that might be tempting. I'm not a huge cook, so Atkins works for me. I can stay low-carb and still eat out or buy stuff at the deli. I like getting sugar out of my system because after 2 weeks, I have zero cravings. Therefore reducing the likelihood of a binge.

Yesterday I found myself ideating about my favorite ... baked goods. I caught myself and pretty much had a conversation in my head.
Gentle but firm. Half the battle is catching our thinking patterns well before we're actually putting food into our mouth.

And ... at the end of the day ... all of this takes practice. You are 24 and already looking at desiring the change. This is really great. And it means that you might make a few trips to the camp store to get your equipment and try out healthy eating, before you get practiced enough to really go camping

It's going to happen. I know it's frustrating to be in the cycle ... been there many times. Just know that life is long and you have many, many chances. I wish you every success and hope you stick around here.
Follena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 04:08 PM   #3  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

I think it's an easier journey if you have some support and some knowledge. It's definitely not really going to work for long if you're actually hungry, so maybe you've been going too hard each time you kick off?

here's what I did this time, and it's worked better than ever before:

1) My dieting buddy - me and a friend started together and kept at it together (daily texts to report back to each other). I've had 3x big dieting efforts in my life and they've all been with a friend. Could be coincidence but I think not!! Or this sort of site/social groups could substitute for a friend too. There's a lot of little detail that's important to the dieter (and super-boring for everyone else) so finding someone who's interested in the fact that you've just discovered zucchini is super-low calorie, or that you have cut the milk in your coffee by half is useful!

2) Better information - reading stuff to figure out how I could not be hungry on lower calories (in my case I did a meditteranean diet type thing with a daily calorie limit - fairly low carbs but enough good fats and protein to stay fuller longer). Also read the Beck Diet Solution book which is how to battle your internal mental attitude, and puts plans in place to stop you self-sabotaging so that might be an interesting one for you? Recommended!

Good luck and keep at it!

Last edited by ange82much; 12-18-2018 at 04:16 PM.
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 367/349/200

Start by removing all the non-healthy food and drink from your house. Can't "cheat" as easily if you don't have temptation at close reach.

Next you need to learn healthy, sustainable habits and that includes eating tasty foods that are also nutritious. You won't feel like you "need" or "deserve" a cheat day if you're not feeling deprived on all the other days. What's your usual calorie intake and what kinds of things are you eating to get those calories? It takes a little work at first, but once you've had some practice, you can eat really well on 1200 calories a day (the number a lot of experts use as a generic target for weight loss in adults).

Then, you need to find a way to reward yourself or comfort yourself that doesn't involve food. Why do you "deserve" a cheat day? Is it because you've been working hard at your healthy eating? Well, why would you want to undo all the good you'd just done? Or is it because you've had a bad day? Then why would you want to create more work and more bad days for yourself? Maybe your new bad-day comfort routine is a nice hot bath with a fancy bath bomb. Maybe your new reward is spending your Saturday at the local aquarium instead of doing chores all day. Everyone has different answers here but you need to get to the root of why you think you "deserve" to fall back into bad habits, and what you can do instead.
MyGenericUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 08:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 247/140

Height: 5'7

I do the cheat day stuff as like a " deal" with myself of, " OK, because you didn't crack & go get fast food from Monday-Thursday night, that means Friday is the big cheat day blowout !!!!!!" but then it just snowballs.
ChangeTheTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:06 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 367/349/200

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangeTheTide View Post
I do the cheat day stuff as like a " deal" with myself of, " OK, because you didn't crack & go get fast food from Monday-Thursday night, that means Friday is the big cheat day blowout !!!!!!" but then it just snowballs.
You're using unhealthy food as a motivator to eat healthy, which is basically setting yourself up for failure, on a couple of levels.

One, it sets/reinforces the use of food as a reward, which is how a lot of us grow up, but is extremely self-destructive.

Two, it sets the expectation that healthy food is something unpleasant and that eating healthy is a chore (otherwise, you wouldn't need a reward when you get through it).

Three, it sets the expectation that eating healthy is a short-term thing, when it should be a sustainable lifestyle change.

And four, your reward is not in proportion to your accomplishment (one junk food meal can equal all the calories you saved over the week).

It's multiple levels of self-sabotage.

Pick a different Friday night reward. Something small, cost-effective, but still enjoyable. Something that doesn't involve food. Pick a bigger reward for making healthy choices for a month. And so forth. There's nothing wrong with celebrating a week of clean, healthy eating, but you can't celebrate with the same bad habit you're trying to break. It would be like an alcoholic celebrating a week's sobriety with a champagne toast. Find a better way to mark your accomplishments.

Last edited by MyGenericUserName; 12-20-2018 at 10:08 AM.
MyGenericUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 03:30 AM   #7  

try water fasting. Think of the weight loss that will come after the sacrifice.I water fasted to lose 6 kilos in just 5 days.
ashishcbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:18 AM   #8  
Newbie 12/2018

S/C/G: 331/295/220

Height: 5’8”

My best advice is to NEVER reward urself with food. When ur doing good get a new blouse or a hair cut, nails done ect. But NOT FOOD!
If you insist it be food bcuz u feel uve deprived urself of the yummy things u once ate regularly and hadda give up then I must say - ur doing it all wrong to begin with - we should NEVER have to give up something entirely.. we just have less of those not so healthy things.. like Pizza, chips and candies. HAVE THEM but not regularly. If you deprive urself from them then u will always want to reward urself with food then that leads to the problem ur having now.
Gd luck.
Carriesgonnalose is offline   Reply With Quote