Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 11:57 PM   #1  

Talking Dr Phil's Weight Loss Challenge #2

Hi All!

Hope I didn't step on anyone's toes by starting a new thread. Figured the first one got pretty long and we'll have a lot to discuss once the Dr. Phil Special on friday night. (Katie Kuric Special at 8 EST)

Got the book tonight and looking forward to tomorrow. I know someone mentioned it but would anyone like to start discussing the book? Granted, I still need to read it but it's just a thought

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Deb

Last edited by Young Grasshopper; 09-12-2003 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:45 AM   #2  
Psalm 91:9-11

Location: I am from 29 Palms, California... but now live in Northeast, Ohio

S/C/G: SW-245.5/CW-209/GW-170

Height: 5'5"

Angry Morning!

Good Morning GRASSHOPPER... I know I didn't mind you starting a new thread. I haven't said much here, but I sure have enjoyed the conversatons!! Also find am learning tons from you all

Just a suggestion --- when beginning a new thread just # it to continue Example: Dr. Phil's Weight Loss Challenge #2 #3, etc..

Keep it going... this is great reading!
God Bless you all!

Last edited by SunnyD57; 09-12-2003 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 245/245/130

Height: 5'2"

Hello All!

I dont mind the new thread at all and I would love to have a book discussion if anyone is interested.....

We could run it almost like a book club if we want.... Talk about a chapter at a time.... I know I did that with another fitness book and actually learned more by doing this because there are lots of different views.....

Hope all is well with everyone....... looking forward to tonights show.... I also bought the cd's of the book to listen to.... I drive alot (in sales) so Some books I like on Cd.... do also have the book to read..... I am going to get this whole emotional stuff under control!

Talk to you soon!
Old 09-12-2003, 11:46 AM   #4  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

Angel, on the cd of the book, is it Dr. Phil's voice or somebody else's? Just curious before I buy it.

Thanks!

Heidi
Old 09-12-2003, 12:15 PM   #5  

I am in for the book discussion group. Should we do one chapter a week?

Should we start on monday September15 or maybe... say September 22?..then that gives everyone more of a chance to buy the book/audio and also more chance for people to read this and know what we are doing????

What is everyone else's opinion on a good start day?
Old 09-12-2003, 03:04 PM   #6  

Smile

**FYI**

Just wanted to let everyone know that the
Special with

Katie Couric and Dr. Phil is tonight from
8 to 10 on NBC

http://www.nbc.com/

Have a great evening!
Old 09-12-2003, 03:13 PM   #7  

Angry

SKINNY ~ For what it's worth, I think the 22nd looks good as far as the book or tape goes & chatting... so people have time to get them (I hope to this weekend) and read them before beginning chats.

Looking forward to Dr. Phil's shows!
Have a great evening eeveryone!!!
Old 09-12-2003, 03:56 PM   #8  

Hi all!

Heidi- The cd's are Dr Phil reading them.... so far so good and it does sound like he is following the book pretty closely.... there are 6 cd's so I do believe it is the unabridged version....

I went today and bought myself a pretty brand new journal to write in.... didnt want to write in one of the old ones because I am taking this as a fresh new start....

September 22 is fine to me on the book club.... lets say have the 1st chapter read by then to discuss.... From the cd version there are lots of little self tests that I think will be interesting to see everyones responses on.....

Maybe next week we can discuss the program that will be on tonight or we can discuss what we are hoping to get out of this book/prgram.....

What does everyone think????
Old 09-12-2003, 11:43 PM   #9  

Hi All!

Sorry about the name of the thread....whoever starts the next one just start with "Dr Phil's Weight Loss Challenge #3". Knew I should have numbered it!

So, what did you think of the two hour special tonight? I taped it but I was hoping for more. Hopefully, monday will be better. Think he'll get more indepth on his show. Does anyone know if he's set it up as a weekly show?

I think the 22nd would be a good day to discuss the book. Will give some the chance to buy it and read it and others the chance to put it to good use. Great idea on the new journal Angel. Have one myself. Took a picture of myself and taped it in there with all my measurements listed. Haven't gotten too far into the book but figured the journal would be a good place to do Dr Phil's writing exercises.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Deb
Old 09-13-2003, 01:19 AM   #10  
I'm doing it this time!

S/C/G: 189/175/145

Height: 5' 4"

Default quick note about show tonight

It is so true about lifestyles that we choose. This really strikes a cord with me, because I know I choose to make my day the way it is. Mostly sitting on the couch watching tv! And I wonder why I can't lose weight?

I have to move my schedule around to force myself not to have the opportunity to snack and/or pigout all day long. I have to get myself up and out of the house more. I am lucky in that I just quit my job to stay home with the kids, yet I've been blaming the kids for me not exercising. Well, the first thing I can do is take them to the park everyday, without snacks! This I can do.

I'll be thinking of more later. My mind is racing right now. How can I sleep!

Have a good one everyone!
Heidi
Old 09-13-2003, 01:27 AM   #11  
it's always something

Quote:
Originally posted by Angel26519
We could run it almost like a book club if we want.... Talk about a chapter at a time....
Funny you should say that, lol! Just last night I was thinking about offering a book club type forum, where we could discuss various diet/fitness books as a group. Maybe this would be the perfect way to start! If you are interested in doing this soon, before this one gets too far underway, let me know
Old 09-13-2003, 09:44 AM   #12  

Suzanne...I think this is a excellent idea! I would love a book forum..I am ashamed to say how many books on diet/fitness/nutition I own!...so many that they are lined (2 rows) in the top of a spare room closet self.

I would definitely be able to contribute a multitude of book discussion..I wake up reading and I go to sleep reading!

What better way to start that with Dr. Phil's book!
Old 09-13-2003, 11:55 AM   #13  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

So....what did everyone think of Katie Couric's show last night?

I loved it when they went to the food court Those quizzes were scary! I have one Tim Horton's double double coffee and a creme filled maple glazed dougnut once a week - think I will be cutting that out now

One part that was great was when Dr. Phil was discussing what the other doctor said about genetics etc. I totally agree with him that you can't use that as an excuse and that yes people are genetically disposed to gain ( I am one of them via my mum's side of the family) but that you should still do something about it because it will help your health even if you don't lose. I think you can still be a larger person but be healthy and just because people are slim and look healthy that doesn't mean that they are.
So it works both ways. IMHO

I saw the preview of his show yesterday -Wow! I didn't realize that these people were all going to be in a house together and filmed 24/7! It is like one of those reality tv shows but the ultimate prize is weight loss and improved health!

I am really looking forward to watching the shows!

Suzanne: guess I will have to buy the book now
Old 09-13-2003, 11:55 AM   #14  
Work in Progress

Book Club Forum is a great idea!!

I was bummed that I missed part of the show, some people stopped by and I tried to keep my eyes on the show.

I really liked the first hour, how Katie Couric painted the picture of how easy it is to fall into the habit of eating as a coping mechanism. I am going to grab Dr. Phil's book this weekend....I will wait to hear about what everyone decides to do with the book club idea!!! -rb
Old 09-13-2003, 12:18 PM   #15  

Suzanne - Book Club Forum sounds great to me... I love reading all types of books and being able to have discussions about it would be great....

I havent watched the show all the way through yet I taped it and I cant wait.... I did get to see it where he was talking about the teenage girl and her mother and that was striking a big cord in me because fo my daughter.....

Anyway I am off... .Talk to you soon!
Closed Thread