3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   When did you get so fat that you knew you had to diet ? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/315873-when-did-you-get-so-fat-you-knew-you-had-diet.html)

FrankB 08-23-2018 04:00 PM

When did you get so fat that you knew you had to diet ?

By when I mean like how overweight. For me it was at about 335 lbs and 59.5 waist, a gain of 145 lbs and 20 inches over 35 years. I was so fat I had troubles getting out of a chair or tying my shoes ! I'm down to 291 lbs off to a good start, still morbidly obese but you have to start somewhere. I have a belly that is bigger than any pregnant woman.

Was there some event that made you know it was time ? Perhaps breaking a chair or too heavy to ride a zipline or something ? Even a glance of your full length reflection in mirror or security camera can be shocking. I can't believe I actually got this damn fat, losing it is fun though !

curvynotlumpy 08-23-2018 06:53 PM

:wave: Frank!

This is a really interesting question and so many thoughts are running through my head. Clothes not fitting, getting winded after climbing a flight of stairs and breaking a sweat while gathering dirty laundry all come to mind. Don't even get me started on looking in mirrors or catching my reflection in store windows :lol:! What really drove me to get my :censored: together several years ago was stepping down off of a bus and feeling something pop in my knee. I still don't know what it was and never had it checked out, but it left me in severe pain the rest of the night. I decided then and there that I needed to do something and the surprising thing was, I did! Walking during my lunch hour turned into an additional walk before or after dinner. I measured and tracked my food. Lots and lots of small but good and healthy habits added up to a nearly 80 pound weight loss. Over the years, and for lots of reasons (some legit, others not) I gained a lot weight back and am basically at square one. I've learned a lot during my regain yet I'm not entirely convinced I can do it again. I try to remain optimistic and I refuse to give up. I'm thrilled that you're having fun losing :cp:! Have to admit, it IS exhilarating to see that number on the scale go down and your energy increase. My participation in 3FC has helped tremendously so I hope you stick around. :goodluck:

FrankB 08-25-2018 01:06 PM

Hi curvynotlumpy !I am sorry to hear you re-gained weight, I think we have all done that! Keeping it off is certainly the trick. Some of the things you can't do being fat or struggle with can be very motivating as well as stuff like seeing your reflection. It is almost comical to watch me try to get out of one of those chaise lounge chairs that is about 10 inches off of the ground.just about reaching the end of a standard 60" measuring tape was also an eye opener. Getting in and out of small cars like a Malibu or Jetta size car is doubly difficult because of not only the belly but also being kind of tallish at 6' 1". I won't fly anytime soon, last time I did I was about 50 lbs lighter and it was ****.I wear jeans that are kinda tight in the waist, the muffin top rolls that show serve to motivate me to lose. I can't button them and then tie my shoesas the fat rolls that form bending over need somewhere to go, so I have to leave them unbuttoned tie the shoes then button the pants. Another one is carrying something big and bulky ( like a full laundry basket) in front of me, the 53" tummy gets in the way....

I'm sure you will soon reach your very realistic goal of 190 lbs which is also my ultimate goal and a 24.9 BMI for me. Great success to you.

curvynotlumpy 08-26-2018 03:45 PM

:wave: Frank!

Yeah, the furniture stuff hits home as well. A lot folks have those small bar/counter stools in their home and I find myself avoiding them at all costs for fear of breaking them. If it's between standing and sitting on one of those, I'll stand. If folks insist, I'll kind of half sit instead of putting all my body weight on it :crazy:! I think 190 for someone at 6'1" makes a lot of sense. I'm only 5' tall so 190 is really my first stage goal; I long to see my weight begin with a 1 again. And 190 is solidly out the 200 pound range so I know I'll feel like made significant progress without overwhelming myself thinking it should be more.

You're doing great and of the many silver linings about losing weight when one is at their heaviest is that you tend to drop some weight quickly. That can be a great motivator to continue.

Esofia 09-12-2018 06:22 PM

The first time, I was 33 and always starving hungry. I think my BMI was at the border of overweight/obese. Two things happened that encouraged me to start. One was that I finally cut contact with my abusive mother, who was always vile about this and much else. The other was that I spent a month on pain meds that took away my appetite. They didn't work for me, but I decided to give dieting a try, and found I was OK with it. I peacefully lost a pound a week for most of the next year.

Some of the weight has slowly crept back on, and six weeks ago I decided to diet again. I'm only a couple of pounds into the overweight category. What set this off was that I am being investigated for autoimmune issues. Almost certainly Sjögren’s, probably lupus too. When I finally get diagnosed, the meds they use can mess with your weight, hunger, nausea and so forth. So I figured I may as well get a handle on it now. I'm going for a very small calorie deficit, I think around 100-150 cal (not sure how much I currently burn). I'm happy on it, and have stopped stress eating and boredom eating.

In neither case was it set off by staring at my reflection in self-hatred. I don't think being miserable helps anyone, though I have so much sympathy for people feeling that way.