Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-10-2018, 11:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 243/147/121 Size: 3X/10/4

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Question Not sure what to make of this

So a thing is finally happening that I've wanted to happen for a long time, and I'm seeing that it comes with a downside.

I've finally detached myself from the idea that I must have certain things, like sweets or snacks or wine, for my day to be happy and complete. I'm actually at the point where I eat for results and not reward, which is what I've needed for a long time. The downside is that I'm discovering it takes a lot less food to fill me up than I thought, or possibly than I need. Focusing on clean foods without the nightly crackers, cheese, and wine (just as one example) means I have a lot more calories to play with every day, which should be good except that I regularly find myself stuffed long before I should be. I then have to force myself to eat when I'm already full, which feels gross. I'm hard pressed to understand how I can get to this point on, say, 1100 calories per day, which I believe is dangerously low for most people. Maybe it's just that clean food is more satiating, but it still makes me nervous to have that kind of calorie intake for more than a day or so. I'd never want to rely on it for weight loss since it's not sustainable. Which means...I gotta eat more food, which is really hard now for some reason. It's also weird for someone who used to snarf half a bag of those toffee almond chocolate nuggets at one sitting.

I should add that I like the food I'm currently eating, and the only thing I particularly miss at the moment is wine but I think that will ease up over time. So I'm not wishing I could go back to the chocolate-snarfing days. But I am wondering if I got maybe a little too detached where food is concerned. Anyone else run into this?

Last edited by Noxqsleft; 09-11-2018 at 08:58 AM.
Noxqsleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:23 AM   #2  
mjf

Foods that are high in fiber or protein tend to be more filling. Unhealthy diets are usually low in fiber, so it's easier to eat more.

I recommend doing some weightlifting at least twice a week. It'll speed up your metabolism and you'll be able to eat more.

Eating more healthy fat can be an easy way to add calories. For example, just 1 tbsp of olive oil is 120 calories. I always put olive oil and garlic on my vegetables.

Last edited by mjf; 09-11-2018 at 04:25 AM.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:33 AM   #3  

I lift weights four times per week, and it definitely makes a difference. My metabolism isn't slow, as far as I can tell. I'm having a tough time balancing between getting additional protein to support the lifting and not feeling so miserably full from that protein that I can't get enough calories. I like your idea of adding fats like olive oil because it's a lot less filling. I'm also going to try to eat more during the day so I don't have to stuff myself at night.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 289/147.8/150

Height: 5'6"

You are definitely satiated much more quickly when you focus on protein, fats and veggies. There are many documentaries that show the food industry creates food with sugar and chemicals in order to keep us hungry and eat more food which equals more money for them. It’s just like you said...you can eat half a bag of sugary, chocolate almonds but if you tried to eat the same caloric intake using cauliflower or something similar I bet you’d have a tough time.

I predict your appetite will return but there often is a drop before it returns. Keep it up! Sounds like you’re doing great!

Last edited by IdealProteinNewbie; 09-11-2018 at 06:02 AM.
IdealProteinNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:16 AM   #5  
mjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noxqsleft View Post
I lift weights four times per week, and it definitely makes a difference. My metabolism isn't slow, as far as I can tell. I'm having a tough time balancing between getting additional protein to support the lifting and not feeling so miserably full from that protein that I can't get enough calories. I like your idea of adding fats like olive oil because it's a lot less filling. I'm also going to try to eat more during the day so I don't have to stuff myself at night.
Is it possible that you eat too much protein? Do you count your macros?

Do you increase the amount of weight that you lift as it becomes easy?

Last edited by mjf; 09-11-2018 at 07:16 AM.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #6  

I change my lifting routine about every six weeks or so. For example, I just dropped unweighted lunges and started doing split squats with a kettlebell, and I'll probably increase my squat reps soon. I'll shortly change my upper-body routine, probably by going back to heavier weights after a higher-rep phase. I have to be cautious and limit myself more than I would wish due to a chronic injury.

On a good day I can push my protein grams to about 90. Most days it's between 60 and 70. All of those numbers are nowhere near what I should be getting, which is why I've been trying to eat more. Carbs are between 80 and 110 per day. I do avoid refined carbs, but beyond that I'm not stressed about staying low carb.