Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-20-2017, 12:11 PM   #1  

Default life without salt

How do people life without salt ( those who go through salt less weightloss )
I mean we need salt at a level everyday some people say it is 1 Tspoon which looks more to me I use less than everyday.
but about those people who dont use it at all how do they survive the damage that can cause.
fatwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:52 PM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I don't avoid salt. However, I don't eat any processed foods- none. The majority of salt in most people's diets is from processed foods, not from the salt shaker. I also use Himalayan pink salt - I am convinced it's a better salt for our body (due to the other minerals present in it) than the processed white table salt.

For those that really have to avoid salt, there are some spices that can help. Mrs. Dash made a rep for itself as being a salt substitute, and I think it's a good one. My favorite single spice to replace salt is dill weed. The tang in dill weed is a bit "salt-like" to me. It's not great for everything, but it's perfect (IMO) for eggs.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

Salt is in everything. If you don't believe it track your consumption in pages like My fitness pal and look how it ticks up (put salt and potassium in your nutrients list)

We eat way too little potassium and way too much salt.
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:39 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 273/269/170

I was just found out I have high blood pressure. I use to salt everything but now I have to make conscientious choices to choose my health over salt. I too use My Fitness Pal and track my sodium. Yes salt is in just about everything, I stopped eating processed meat and other foods high in sodium.
tloibl54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:28 AM   #5  

I personally don't go all out to avoid salt. I believe in balance and moderation. Of course, what works for me do not necessarily work for everybody.

But if you really want to cut down - if not totally eliminate salt consumption, EagleRiverDee is right. Don't eat processed food.
Keiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:45 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

You can log your foods for awhile to make sure you get enough salt because your body actually does need some, but it is in most foods you eat.

If you are not eating iodized salt a source of iodine may be necessary though. You actually get used to a lower salt diet and then when you go out to eat the salt with overwhelm you. ..........
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/176/150

I don't salt anything when I cook...but restaurants are HORRIBLE about how much salt they put in their food. It's what makes it taste so good! You do need a certain amount of salt...especially if you sweat alot when you work out, but not anywhere near the amount restaurants put in their food.

Wendi
---------------
https://www.findingthecalminchaos.wordpress.com
Wendiendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 470 / 430 / 150

Height: 5'2"

My mom puts 1 - 2 tablespoons of salt on each non-dessert thing she eats. So if she eats meatloaf, green beans, and mashed potatoes, that's 3 - 6 tablespoons of salt. Not kidding. Not exaggerating.

Her boyfriend has a severe eating disorder. He only eats thirteen things, and they have to be prepared certain ways or at certain places. One of the things he'll eat is a burger from Wendy's, on a child-size bun, no vegetables/condiments/cheese, and they have to cut the crust off the bread. He then takes about 15 salt packets, and he covers the burger patty in a thick layer of salt until the burger can't be seen anymore. Then he eats it.

They've both been doing this for 30+ years. I do NOT know how they are still alive.

... I know this is about not getting ENOUGH salt, but I wanted to share this because I thought you all would find it interesting!
RubySnacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:47 AM   #9  

I can't imagine the food without salt.
lisawarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:29 PM   #10  
Maggie

S/C/G: 215/154.2/~111 or so

You actually will get more than enough salt even when you try to avoid most of it. We don't NEED a tsp of salt a day - that's the upper limit recommended for most people. We can survive on much, much, much less.

I salt nothing. I eat low sodium (less than 1500 mg with rare exceptions). I still eat much more than my body needs. Eating very little added sodium won't hurt you at all (except you may want to watch your iodine, like one other person said). There are some situations where you need to increase your salt, but it's pretty uncommon.

If you want to go low/no sodium, it sucks for a while, but after a few weeks anything with a lot of salt tastes weird and kind of burns your mouth.
Chanticleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:39 PM   #11  
full of thanks

There are other spices you can use when cooking. Plus a little salt won't hurt you.
Lisaluvshearts is offline   Reply With Quote