Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-19-2017, 07:16 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 172.6/172.6/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Embarrassed?

I was reading a thread yesterday (snuck in a few moments while at work). The poster mentioned that she was embarassed to go to the doctor. This resonated with me - big time.

I'm way over due for a check up but too embarassed to go to the doctor. Luckily, I don't believe I have any major health problems - I am active and I feel fine. I know my pressure is fine because I'm a frequent blood donor (platelets actually) and they check my pressure, sugar, and cholesterol. My colesterol could use some work but my pressure is always great and my sugars tend to be low (actually too low).

I keep promising myself that when I get to a better weight I will go. Sigh. I know this is wrong - I'm working on it.

Anyone else feel this way? If you are braver than me and actually go to your doctor - what has it been like? I'm emotionally fragile right now and I think if someone started lecturing (or even giving me a well intended chat) it would be hard to handle.

I've thought about going and just saying to them "I know I'm overweight, I am working on it, I don't want to get on the scale this time (ever notice how doctor scales are always 5lbs over the one you have at home?). Has anyone tried that?

Just wondering. I hope everyone has a great day.
Hugs
Salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 256/164,2/140

Height: 5'4

Hi Salix, I just wanted to chime in quick... I have never been lectured about my weight by my family doctor. I was 256 at 5'4 at my biggest. I have seen more doctors than you would believe and only 1 has ever said something to me and that was after I had rapidly gained during treatment for cancer. After I was through with treatment he told me he wanted to see me lose that weight, but he didn't lecture. You are 12 lbs. less than I am at the moment, and I know its a matter of perspective, especially since I was so much heavier than you to start, but I think you are being too hard on yourself. I would be shocked if they said a word about it!!

I have closed my eyes and asked that the nurse didn't tell me my weight, and that worked just fine, not sure if they will let you skip the scale though.

Last edited by kfunk6113; 09-19-2017 at 08:28 AM.
kfunk6113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I have never had a doctor actually address my weight unless I brought it up first. I'm not saying no doctor would say something, but I think most doctors strive to be sensitive. I have never felt self-conscious going to the doctor because of my weight. I hope you will set aside your discomfort and go.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 240/236/150

Height: 5' 6"

Salix,

I definitely feel the same way you do. I'll go to the doctor but only for something specific where I know I won't have to undress. I do get on the scale there, I have on occasion, closed my eyes and asked them not to say my weight out loud (they are fine with that). Like you, I know that I need a normal adult physical but I cannot bring myself to go.

And like the other ladies that replied, I have never been lectured about my weight when I have gone. I have been asked about my nutrition, they specifically said they were asking about quality not quantity.
Wisertime is offline   Reply With Quote