Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-17-2017, 04:35 PM   #1  

Default Healthy snacks ideas?

Hi, so today I'm seeking a bit of practical advice. Last month I started a new job and so far I have to say it's good to be at work for once. I work at a post office - I guess it's different country to country, but my job is pretty hectic and I really like it's not just about sitting at the computer, but that I also have to get up all the time to fetch this and that, organize stuff... It's quite fun, honestly. The system is antiquated, the methodology cumbersome... Means it's a good fit for people like me - no particular qualification, but a good head for numbers.

The minor issue is food. Of course I can't have any at my desk, but the other women typically have stashes of cookies or chips to snack on while they're searching for packages. The whole post office gets to have a pause midday, but that's right when I start my shift (I pretty much have to be there 30 minutes early to sign in, lounge about before I start working and then I don't get another pause until the end of the shift). I'm often not really hungry at the start because it's too close to breakfast, but I'm getting dizzy and light headed towards the end if I don't eat anything. Right now as the holidays are getting closer, I barely have time to go to the bathroom.

Right now I'm leaving a little stash of chocolate cookies like many of my co-workers. I know it's not the best solution and I feel the sugar making me unnecessarily jittery, but they're:
-calorie dense (a little bite goes a long way)
-can be eaten fast (unlike nuts, for example, where a lot of chewing is required)
-They don't go bad or stale during the day
-They don't make your fingers dirty.

Do you have any tips on what I can use instead? It's not that I'm hungry - I'm too busy to get hungry - but I just need the calories, it seems.
Ameline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:33 PM   #2  
Ahhhhh

S/C/G: 222/151/145

Height: 5'5"

That's a tough one. The only thing I can think of is getting a protein bar or drink to replace the cookie with a similar but healthier option. If you like to cook try searching for "protein bar" on allrecipes.
BigFatMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:28 PM   #3  

Default Crackers

How about wheat thin Crackers? I think it's just as easy to eat one as it would be a cc cookie. I guess popcorn would not be so easy. I love dates for my snack. Keep us informed as too your change.
TaMry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:29 PM   #4  

Default Protein bar or drink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMomma View Post
That's a tough one. The only thing I can think of is getting a protein bar or drink to replace the cookie with a similar but healthier option. If you like to cook try searching for "protein bar" on allrecipes.
Great suggestions bf momma
TaMry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:17 AM   #5  

I'm actually wondering if I should bake something.

I have this thing I use as a "travelling bread" - there's oatmeal, zucchini (I want to try cabbage too), an assortment of seeds, and cheese (plus eggs and a tiny bit of flour). One batch, which fits into a little package, is worth a day and a half of food - two if you're in light terrain. The only thing is that you need to eat it slowly so you don't wolf it down before you have a chance to realize you've had enough.

So going along these lines, I'm looking at calorie-dense healthy alternatives. Who knows, I might come up with a recipe (I'm a sort of "mix it all together and see how it goes" baker. More than once I pulled out "surprise coco-puffs", or something which tasted just like them, out of the oven without intending to)

I had this idea that using quality peanut butter (or any other 100% nut butter) might yield the result I'm after. I just never baked with it, so I didn't know if it works. Turns out peanut butter cookies are totally a thing (which I never knew about), and they can be flourless, I also don't need to add much - or indeed any - sugar. I might add oatmeal, though, to get some carbs and make it cheaper. This might work very well, just a little cookie giving me all the kick I need, much better than anything I can buy at a store. Thinking about it, though, peanuts were never great for me digestion-wise - almond, walnut or hazelnut butter might be a much better option.

What do you think? Do you have any experience baking those?
Ameline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:34 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 206/200/130

Height: 5'2"

You can make really easy cookies with just oats, mashed banana, nut butter (any type), and chocolate chips. You can also add dates for more calories and sweetness. Just blend everything in a food processor until it's sticky, press it into cookie shapes, and bake! (I want to say at 350F for like 10 minutes, but I haven't made them in awhile so I'm not sure) They're super easy, nutritious, and relatively calorie dense to get you through until your next meal.
abbilutz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:26 AM   #7  

Not sure what sort of snack that you after - one that fills you up or something to nibble on? I used to take a banana and/or an apple to work with me andhave that mid morning/mid afternoon. If not practicable, you could try a bag of dried fruit of some sort. Give a few a try - dried bananas are really crunchy and satisfying whilst dried apricots are soft and gooey. There's plenty others to try if you are after a nibble whilst you work
JohnMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:08 AM   #8  

Almonds
Jaguar89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:34 AM   #9  

Nuts can be the best snacks.
lisawarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:59 AM   #10  
full of thanks

A handful of nuts once a day.
A handful of fruit once a day.
String cheese is sooo good.
Cottage cheese and tomatoes.

High protein drinks are great, too.

Last edited by Lisaluvshearts; 12-23-2017 at 02:00 AM.
Lisaluvshearts is offline   Reply With Quote