Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-02-2017, 08:29 AM   #91  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

Good morning Keto people!

I tried making Jicama chips this weekend, and it didn't go all that well, but it had promise. I've seen people using jicama to make chips and fries and I'm determined to make it work. So...I bought a deep fryer. I have to say that I never dreamed a diet would lead me to buy a deep fryer. I forgot to buy oil or lard to use in it, so I haven't tried it out yet.

I lost over the weekend, although I was up a teensy bit today, 0.2 which is not a big deal. My boyfriend is visiting this weekend, he's from Germany (long story), and I last saw him in July, at that time I was just a little heavier than I am today, and thanks to that vacation and the carelessness of my meal planning afterwards, I gained about 10 pounds in July and it was finally in August that I decided it had to stop. That means he won't see any difference just yet, but by the time we have our next visit there should be a more noticeable difference. I'm super excited to see him
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:46 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 113/see my ticker/95

Height: 174 cm

Hello you all amazing keto people, I have just oficically started my keto!

For the first week I set a goal of getting into ketosis without closely watching my calories. I just need to find the carbs/protein/fat balance and when I get there, I will reduce my calories. For now, I'm learning all about fat and carbs that's new to me. I love heavy cream!
Ronja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:57 PM   #93  
It's mine for the taking

Congratulations on getting started Ronja! Have you read about keto-flu? I had a bit of it for the first week, but it cleared up and hasn't reared it's ugly head again; hopefully you won't get hit with it. I didn't pay much attention to calories in the first week either, but I was tracking my food so that I could know how I was doing at balancing my macros. How was your first day? Good luck!
Old 10-03-2017, 02:12 AM   #94  

Thank you Angie! I am not much worried about keto flu to be honest, as for last five weeks I have mostly been eating meat, eggs and vegetable, with just one portion of fruit a day. So even though my carbs would usually end up too high for ketosis (around 40-50), it was still pretty low carb diet so the transition was not a all difficult yesterday. I actually really enjoyed whipping cream. And bacon strips with eggs for breakfast today? Sign me in!!!

My carbs ended up at 35 last yesterday, I want to score lower today but I will see I can't wait to try some of the recipes you mention. What I'm already thinking about is the holidays season, I will really need all the willpower to go through it without my carbs shooting through the roof!
Old 10-03-2017, 05:40 AM   #95  

I am doing LCHF as close to zero carbs as possible with intermittent fasting currently OMAD. (one meal a day). I will go back to regular keto when I get tired of the strict almost zero carb regimen but so far so good. I love the OMAD because I cannot snack at all for a 24 hour period, which is always my downfall, even on LCHF. I always was snacking even if it was allowed foods. It is very liberating to only prepare and eat one meal a day and then not think about it until the next day. I work overnights by myself and have lots of downtime so lots of time to think about snacking. Luckily I am an "all or nothing" type person, and have remarkable willpower when I have strict rules to go by. This has helped me to cut out alcohol, as I am not good at moderation. When I tried to moderate at alcohol consumption I found out that I had to quit completely rather than moderate. OMAD serves the same purpose. Obviously we can't quit eating cold turkey but this is as close as we can come.
scintillady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:47 AM   #96  

Hmm, this is proving a little bit more difficult than anticipated. I ended up with 1 600 cal and 11.7 carbs (hooray to me), but 200 % of recommended daily dose of protein - 119 g instead of 54. Fat is at 102 % (153 grams) which is good enough. But how do I subtract half the protein to get the raight protein/fat ratio without starving, is beyond me!

Last edited by Ronja; 10-03-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:17 AM   #97  
It's mine for the taking

Ronja -- One way to manage that is to eat leaner proteins and then get your fat separately via Heavy Whipping Cream, or fat bombs.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:33 AM   #98  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Good morning everyone

Welcome Ronja & Scintilady!

All - love reading all the posts and look forward to the tips, keep them coming. They all help, especially since I am still pretty new at this.
Yesterday was good - stayed totally on track & got in 2 walks as well.

Making cauliflower pizza again tonight - that turned out really good & was a nice lunch with the leftovers.

Have a great day, everyone
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:57 AM   #99  

S/C/G: 457/see sig/200(or size18)

Height: 5ft9

To reorganize my fat and protein and not increase my carbs. I have a protien shake and mix it up then melt pasture butter to what I need to even out the protein in it and mix it in. It makes a nice creamy shake which is very palatable.
qtkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:23 AM   #100  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit2 View Post
Hi everyone

Thanks for all the information everyone is posting.

I was down 2# this week, so was very happy with that. I made keto taco for my dinner last night & they turned out pretty good. Used provolone cheese cooked for the shells.

Gail
Just jumping in here. I've been hearing a lot about the cooked cheese lately. This sounds like a good idea for a taco shell. I think I would like it with a mexican style cheese, though, to make it more along the line of a taco.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:55 PM   #101  

Hi wannabehealthy (love your name)

The melted cheese is really good, I used it first as a taco shell then with leftover one I used next a.m. for a scrambled egg/w bacon shell. Tasty breakfast.
Will make again - so simple. Make sure you put in on parchment paper first!
Gail
Old 10-04-2017, 11:51 AM   #102  

S/C/G: 317/170/157

I've seen the cooked cheese shell, but haven't tried it. I have been doing lettuce wraps instead, but I love cheese so maybe I'll try it this weekend. Did you just use a nonstick skillet
kiwi1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:40 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Kiwi, I haven't tried this yet, but these are the directions I found online. There might be other ways to make them.

Place 1/3 cup of cheese in thin layer on parchment paper.
Microwave on high for one minute, or until cheese is bubbly.
While the cheese is still flexible with parchment paper still attached, bend the cheese over a round object to give it a taco shell shape.
The smaller in diameter the object is, the closer to a normal taco shell shape you will have.
Let the cheese cool while around the object.
When it has cooled, peel it from the parchment paper.
Use this to make tacos, with normal fillings such as taco seasoned meat, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and sour cream, or you can also make smaller version of these shells to serve as low carb chips.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-04-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:25 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 317/170/157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Kiwi, I haven't tried this yet, but these are the directions I found online. There might be other ways to make them.
Thank you so much for the instructions. I am going to try to adapt this to use of the oven. I try to limit my microwave use as much as possibleI was wonder how to get this done.
kiwi1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:57 AM   #105  

Hi Kiwi

For the cheese shell I used round slices of provolone cheese and placed on parchment paper then on cookie sheet & baked at 350 until it turned brown. Then flipped over edge of bowl to get the shape & let it cool. That's it. The cheese was presliced in a package.

All - having a good week, was down 1.5# at my weigh in so was happy with that.

Extra long weekend for me with having Thanksgiving Monday off & plus I never work Fridays. So a 4-day weekend. Have to behave & stay on track.

All - hope you are finding success with his WOE
Gail

Last edited by bandit2; 10-05-2017 at 11:58 AM.