Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-25-2017, 12:19 PM   #136  

Thanks, Angie! Here's my plan for Thanksgiving: Eat the same thing as everyone else, but get a small plate, like a salad plate. Get MORE of the things that I can eat, like turkey, green beans, olives, deviled eggs, etc. and then get just a small spoonful (like a teaspoon) of the things that aren't keto, like stuffing, cranberry sauce, potatoes. Have a small piece of pie. No seconds unless it's keto-friendly. And then get back on keto the next day. I think it will work. That way I fill up on the good stuff, still get a taste of the non-keto stuff, and hopefully will minimize the damage. It's only me in my family that eats keto, so trying to keep things simple.
NFTM17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:54 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 317/170/157

Height: 5'6"

Hey guys this last post just made me want to post this even more. I listened to a podcast recently that was had a keto subject and the women talked about something called a carb up. I remember listening to it at the time and thinking, "oh, one day that might be cool" Apparently keto isn't always as easy on a woman's body vs a mans due to our hormonal needs. So she mentioned that she would do a carb up if she ever woke up 3 days in a row hungry or just felt low energy. I couldn't even imagine ever feeling that way since I became keto bc i haven never been hungry and was always full of energy. The last week however, had been different. I was always tired and kind of felt always hungry. I decided yesterday morning to relisten to this podcast to make sure that what I remembered her saying was what I had thought I remembered in my head. I worked out that night a dance cardio class (similar to zumba) but felt to lethargic. I decided that night to scrap what I planned to eat for dinner and to do an experimental carb up. So the idea is to add the carb and take out the fat so I I was carful to not just eat a sandwich or pizza or something. I got a banana and then remembered that I had some Special K red berry cereal in my pantry so got a small container of skim milk. I don't love skim milk but if I was adding the carb I needed to take away the fat. I ate the banana in the car and it tasted as sweet as an ice cream cone and the bowl of cereal tasted like a bowl of candy. lol. I thought, "why do parents let their kids eat bowls of candy for breakfast?" lol. Anyway, if you do a carb up, its supposed to be done at night so that you sleep through the crappy sugar crash and brain fog. I did wake up to pee at 4am and had a horrible headache. I was able to go right back to sleep though and then when I woke up in the morning, the headache was gone and I felt great. No hunger and full of energy again. I went for a run with the dog in the morning and felt great. Wednesday is a fast day so I didn't eat until about noon (16hrs of fasting) and I was fine and totally not hungry. In the podcast she mentioned that a carb up may cause a couple of pounds of water weight gain, but as long as the next morning you get back to your keto routine, you may actually break a plateau and lose that plus more over the next few days. I was afraid to weight myself this morning, but was a pound lighter. Anyway, the last post reminded me to share this info with you all...ladies especially as an option to try if needed. So on Thanksgiving if we eat a little bit of increased carb it likely isn't awful especially if we do it at night and sub the fat with the carb and get back to it the next day. The podcast that I listen to is on spotify. Its called the Ultimate Health Podcast and is what got me into keto and fasting if anybody is interested in hearing that particular episode.
kiwi1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:25 AM   #138  

Thanks Kiwi! In that case, I'll just eat a normal plate of Thanksgiving dinner, and maybe I will go back for seconds. But only on that day.
NFTM17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:30 AM   #139  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi everyone - thanks for all the good information.

Angie - I also really like the mashed cauliflower. Sometimes I just roast the cauliflower in big slices with some olive oil & it is really good as well.

Kiwi - that is so interesting about the carb up & something new to try. I find some days I am very tired as well.

NFTM - good luck with trying to change things up. Hope it works for you.

All - I am going to Mexican restaurant - any suggestions?

Have a great "keto" day
Gail
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:50 PM   #140  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketolouise View Post
We're putting together a roundup of Keto thanksgiving recipes over at the keto summit - .
what is Keto summit? Is it a group here at 3FC? I’m doing Keto but it seems all of the low carb groups here are pretty inactive, maybe I’ve missed it.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:34 AM   #141  

S/C/G: 317/170/157

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFTM17 View Post
Thanks Kiwi! In that case, I'll just eat a normal plate of Thanksgiving dinner, and maybe I will go back for seconds. But only on that day.
Yeah, just be careful to not go crazy. You also have to remember that most conventional carbs are also gonna be high in fat so you need to still be a bit choosey but if you've been keto for a while your body is fat adapted and can likely tolerate if you have one "mess up."
kiwi1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:48 AM   #142  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
what is Keto summit? Is it a group here at 3FC? I’m doing Keto but it seems all of the low carb groups here are pretty inactive, maybe I’ve missed it.
Hi Lori. Welcome back! Although the low carb threads are not real active right now, there does seem to be a good many on the forum following low carb. Maybe if you post over there, some other will follow and liven it up!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:34 PM   #143  

S/C/G: 225/190/?

Hiya!

Just jumping in here to remind all of my fellow ketoers to make sure that you are supplementing! Magnesium and potassium or else you will be tired!
Missy789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:13 AM   #144  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Thanks Carol, I think I’ll do that! I’ve always considered a LCHF diet, but didn’t feel I would be able to live without bread...lol. Come to find out, it’s really not all that hard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Hi Lori. Welcome back! Although the low carb threads are not real active right now, there does seem to be a good many on the forum following low carb. Maybe if you post over there, some other will follow and liven it up!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #145  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Good morning keto people!

Bandit -- I'm late, but at our local mexican(ish) place I always get fajitas and ask for lettuce in place of tortillas....also, you can have ALL the guacamole!

Kiwi -- Very interesting about the carb ups!

I'm trying to be a little more strict after a wild-and-crazy October...a little less dairy...a little less food, more BPC
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:39 AM   #146  

Good morning everyone

Angie - thanks for the Mexican tips! Just have to remember to skip the carby/bread things.

I think we all probably need to get more strict with ourselves (especially after holidays we just had & the ones quickly approaching)

I haven't been too bad lately - but find the weekends are tougher for sure. Just have to keep in mind why I need to do this.

All - hope you are all doing well.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:54 PM   #147  

S/C/G: 457/see sig/200(or size18)

Height: 5ft9

Hi guys... Still working on Keto.. Weigh loss has slowed down to a crawl.. So frustrating. I think most of my problem is not eating enough, which it's always been that way.

Going to try an app couch to 5k.. I don't think I will make 5k by the end of 8 weeks though. I know I can watch 30 minutes, but walk and jog ehh

Last edited by qtkitty; 11-03-2017 at 06:43 PM.
qtkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 02:56 PM   #148  

I started the whole keto diet recently. it's hard to really say if this is working for me or not.
thyroidpharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #149  

Hi Angie. I'm new to this group and trying to figure everything out. I've been. Researching keto and would like to talk to ppl about the program. Recipes and what nots.
Frenchie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:17 AM   #150  

Hi everyone

Welcome Frenchie! I am also pretty new and keep reading all the posts for tips and recipes. Great group here.

I am off to Mexico next Monday for a week so hopefully that will be OK with trying to stay on plan. Plan on having lots of eggs, green veggies and meats.
Drinks will be kept at vodka/club soda with lime & hopefully that will be fine.

All - pop in when you can & lets us know how you are doing & any new meal suggestions are always welcome.

Weather turning cold up here now.

Gail