Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-28-2017, 06:17 PM   #1  

Default Diabetes even after weight loss?

I went to the doctor because I passed out. She did some blood work and my blood sugar was high so she's going to do an A1C

I am confused. Wouldn't a significant weight loss prevent type 2 diabetes? I've never heard of someone getting diabetes AFTER weight loss.

I have a very strong family history of diabetes though. My father pretty much died from it, and my mother was diganosed a year ago.

It does make sense that I would have diabetes with the symptoms I've been having, I'm just confused.

Last edited by Harrypotterrocks; 07-28-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Harrypotterrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi Harrypotterrocks. I have diabetes, so I am very interested to know what the doctor learns about your A1c. Some people develop type 1 diabetes later in life. One of the main symptoms of type 1 diabetes is weight loss, so it IS possible to be diagnosed with diabetes after weight loss. For type 2 I agree that it doesn't make sense. Either way, I hope the doctor figures out why you passed out.

Keep us posted.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:22 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I lost 40 lbs and had my A1C tested and it was higher than before I lost weight. I was .1 way from being pre-diabetic. I, too, am baffled about that.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 206/165/140

Height: 5' 5.75''

Genetics are rough. I lost 50 lbs after a pregnancy in which I became hypertensive in 2012. Stayed hypertensive though I reached 138 at 5 ft 6 in. Just keep doing the best byou your body. Good luck.
Aunrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:27 AM   #5  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Big I understand your pain.

I'm lucky diabetes wise, in that weightloss has taken me out of diabetic down to so far below that I'm not on the nurse's chart.

On the other hand, like Aunrio, although I've lost significantly (64lbs, 36 to go) and was sure my doc would drop my hypertension dosage ~ but he's added in another tablet, as it had shot up to 159/95. :O 2nd med has brought it to 136/76 in 3 weeks.

All we can do is keep trying our best to eat healthily, which will give our genetics their best shot.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/147/150

Height: 5'5"

Sadly some things are genetic too. My Mother-in-law has always been thin and ate healthy and she has very high cholesterol.

It is also possible that you were already having diabetic issues before weight loss and it just got worse now.

Even though you have diabetes it doesn't mean you can't improve your health through weight loss and healthy eating. Good luck!
clawlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:51 AM   #7  

I suggest you to take proper medication.
lisawarren is offline   Reply With Quote