Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-09-2017, 04:56 PM   #1  

Default A stranger said Something today?

I've lost 72 pounds. I went from 236-164. I am 5.4 and have a large build.

Today a stranger asked me if I really needed the two sodas I was buying at the gas station. I didn't realize what had just happened until I got in the car. She was very fit looking.

I balance what I eat with what I drink. I stick to 1,200 calories everyday. If I want a 200 calorie soda, I just cut out other things. I didn't even drink one yet.

People say I don't need to lose any more weight. But this just proves my point that, yes I still have about 20-25 pounds to lose.

Yes overweight people say I look good, but fit skinny people are still fat shaming me. I want to look the way they do. So I'm going to continue to lose weight regardless of what I'm being told by people I know.

It's not really upsetting me as much as motivating me.

My mom said the women should of been minding her own business regardless of how she thought I looked.

Last edited by Harrypotterrocks; 07-09-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Harrypotterrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:30 PM   #2  
Shorty getting fit

S/C/G: 162/132/119

That lady needs to do more work on herself than you do.

Congrats on your loss!
Chunkahlunkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:33 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Yes, the lady definitely should have minded her own business. That was rude of her.

But yes, you can't really listen to what other people say about your weight loss goals. Some people really have no idea what a healthy body weight even looks like and thus might give you bad feedback or advice. Others might try to trip you up out of envy. You more than likely know a lot more about what weight is healthy for you than they do!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 223/207/140

Height: 5'3

I'm glad this is motivating you. It would have been easy to let it set you back. People really need to mind their business. How could she possibly judge when you could've had a health problem that made you gain weight or needed the sugar because you were diabetic? Point is, she had no idea what your circumstances are and should've kept her comments to herself. The fact that she did say something shows how truly vile she is inside. Go on you for ignoring her!
motherdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 317/170/157

Height: 5'6"

Some people just really don't know how to mind their own business. I am sorry that some stranger was oh so rude to you. At your ht and wt you are probably what is considered average build and (trying to play devil's advocate here) maybe she was just saying in jest as a joke since we all know that soda isn't great for us, but she doesn't know you like that!!!!!! She doesn't know what you have been through and how you feel or how you see yourself. I'm glad that you were able to brush it off and use it as motivation. I also agree with previous comment about not listening to others when it comes to your weight loss. It is very personal to us and yes, bigger people probably think you look super thin while super thin people think that you look over weight. It's going to boil down to not only who YOU think YOU look, but more importantly how you FEEL.
kiwi1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:21 PM   #6  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Maybe she's just anti-soda, it might not have been about her thinking you're overweight, still, not cool to question how someone else is living their life. How did she know you weren't buying one for someone in the car. People continue to amaze me.

Wishing you the best
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:34 PM   #7  
art savvy southpaw

S/C/G: 220/204/175

Height: 5'10"

I really admire your positive attitude. I am rather tall, a couple inches shy of 6 foot so I rarely have anyone give me crap in public and I figure that is due to me towering over them. If someone does happen to give me a bad attitude I will just give them "the look" lol and walk away.
HydraWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:03 PM   #8  

First and foremost, congrats on the weight loss and your dedication to keep going.

However, there is one thing I have to point out. Don't let others get in your head and dictate where you want to see your body. The lady was rude and inconsiderate. Is soda good? Nah. But you are able to make your own decisions and one doesn't hurt. 1200 calories is mad hard to stick to and if you want a soda then you can have one. You deserve it. If you are continuing to lose weight and want to look a certain way please do it for YOU. Don't do it to look like her or anyone else who are ignorant enough to fat shame you or anyone else. It creates a terrible cycle where you'll never be contented with the way you are if you don't get some form of validation. Maybe you aren't like that but I'm just warning against it because it does more harm on the psyche.

Just because someone is "fit" doesn't mean they are healthy in all senses. She could have been projecting upon you and to see she could say it to a complete stranger means she is deep in some issues she needs to work out with herself. So enjoy your soda and keep up the work! The problem wasn't you. It was most definitely her and her outlook on her own self.

I had someone at work who is larger than me and older than me pull me to the side in front of other people and instruct me on weight loss drinks like I ever discussed with her that I wanted to lose weight. I already knew about that drink and I wasn't here for it. I knew what worked for my body and how I wanted my body to be sculpted when I lost weight. I am after fat loss and lean muscle. She is on a different path than me. I felt it was rude and it was def her projecting on me. I would have felt upset in the past but I stopped letting others control how I felt about myself. It shows their weakness not mines. Try and frame it like that.
Choomnai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:21 PM   #9  
mjf

She shouldn't have said that, but if you're trying to lose more weight, then soda is not really a good idea, especially if it means cutting out healthy foods to make room for the soda. If you're eating only 1000 calories of healthy food each day then you're probably not getting enough nutrients. Also, the sugar will slow down your metabolism, which will make it harder to lose weight.

If you only drink soda on rare occasions, then it won't make a big difference.

Last edited by mjf; 08-05-2017 at 05:28 PM.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:41 PM   #10  

Whether you are fit or fat, whether soda is good for you or not, it is rude and inappropriate for anyone at all to comment on what you choose to eat or drink. Well, except for your Mom, maybe . Congrats on your success!

Last edited by Sundove; 08-05-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Sundove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:25 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Remember this phrase "I'm going to ignore you said that and in going to pretend you were minding your own business."

But it's worrisome that you say that you want to look like the people who are fat shaming you. Why can't you just want to look like yourself or the best version of yourself? We can't look like other people and trying to is futile and leads to depression and anxiety. Who cares what other people look like? I guess what I'm trying to say is that no matter what you weigh health and beauty always begin on he inside and in our brain. You should learn to love your body no matter what because it's the only one you've got and it will go through many changes during your lifetime - pregnancy, illness, old age, bruises and scars. If you don't feel self love on the inside then the outside will never be good enough.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:26 PM   #12  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palestrina View Post
Remember this phrase "I'm going to ignore you said that and in going to pretend you were minding your own business."

Good one.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:12 AM   #13  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Our WW topic this week was body size stigma. One of the exercises was to imagine if whatever was being said to your friend. How would you address it if you were there, what would you say to her if she was telling you what happened.

I see you haven't posted again so hopefully you have moved on, sending good vibes :
Wishing you the best
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:26 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

It seems to me those who are most judgmental or those who need to tell us what we need to do are those who have not "walked the walk" and don't know what it is like living our lives and our struggle with weight.

I have a friend who told me repeatedly I must join OA. Mind you I actually don't binge and have found a very sensible approach and have started to lose weight. He is a recovering alcoholic and only sees the world through those glasses. I actually told him to knock it off.
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:37 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 168/166/112-117

Height: 5'5

Looks like somebody has too much time on their hands to worry about how much soda random people are buying. How would she even know if they are both for you? WTH and weird seriously

Last edited by scoobysnackz; 08-11-2017 at 09:38 AM.
scoobysnackz is offline   Reply With Quote