Is this a plateau

• I started PMSing and having food cravings two weeks ago, and gained 6 pounds. I'm pretty much off my period. I'm still spotting a little bit. But since last Wednesday, I've been eating 1200 calories, exercising at least 15 minutes a day and meeting all my fit bit goals. I bought a ski machine this past weekend. And in general I was doing pretty good. I was so sure I would have lost the period weight, since I am pretty much off it, and since I worked so hard. But when I weighed myself I was the exact same weight. I did not lose even one ounce. I weighed myself on two different scales, and they both said the same thing. I was kind of confused. Especially since I felt like I had lost weight. I am doing the same thing today. Eating 1200 calories and exercising. I'm thinking if the same thing happens tommorow, I've just hit some kind of weird plateau. Does anyone know if this is whats going on and how to work through this?
  • Our bodies are sometimes a real mystery, I weigh pretty much the same as I did in February and in March I added exercise 5 days a week min of 30 min each day. So go figure, I actually have gained 3 lbs! Just hang in there the scale will move. You may also be retaining water was you exercise, drinking plenty of water to keep your joints lubracated
  • Thanks.

I struggled but I lost 3 pounds. Then I fell off track and gained 4 back in 2 days. Yesterday I upped my exercise to 30 minutes and stuck to my 1200 calories. Today the scale did not budge even an ounce.

I think I know what the problem is. I think I'm eating way to much sodium.

My favorite food is canned soup. I eat a can 3-4 times a week. It's my go to food. It's filling and doesn't have a lot of calories. But the kind I eat has about 1,800 milligrams of sodium per can. I also eat TV dinners. Which have a lot of sodium too.

Yesterday I had a can of soup. Which had 1730 milligrams of sodium. The soup only had 260 calories per can. Then that afternoon, I had two stuffed peppers. Again, each pepper only had 170 calories, but had 715 milligrams of sodium each. So that was another 1,430. So I'm guessing I consume around 5,000 milligrams of sodium a day. Which I think is why the scale is not moving.

So today I am writing down not only the calories, but the amount of sodium I eat. I am not eating any soup or TV dinners. I am eating salad, rice and pork roast. I calculated that my intake of sodium today will be 1,700 milligrams of sodium. Which is less then the can of soup I ate yesterday.

I'm not sure why I'm so sensitive to sodium, I'm guessing it's just like how some people are sensitive to carbs.

I was on a medication that damaged my kidneys so I wonder if my problem with sodium is related to that or if I was just eating way too much sodium in general.
  • I'm another one who can't tolerate sodium. If I even tasted a canned soup I'd gain 2 to 3 lbs! My suggestion - make a big batch and freeze it in individual portions. It's really awful, I can be super careful eating out, but I can just taste all the salt, and yes, I instantly blow up.

But I also think sometimes the fat cells hold onto water for a few days, then when they're ready, they shed it, you lose a bunch of weight - magic! I don't think what you do the day before necessarily dictates the next day. At least it doesn't for me - it seems to be over a set period of time, not day by day.
  • Well that was the problem. At least I'm pretty sure it was. I went from eating almost 5,000 milligrams of sodium to eating about 1,700 yesterday. I weighed myself this morning, and I was 3.6 pounds less. And I could fit into my smaller pants.

I guess I just need to write down the amount of sodium everything has and try to stick to below 2,000.