Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-24-2017, 04:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Calories I burn according to the fancy scale at the gym

There is a fancy fat monitoring scale at the gym. It gives reading into BMR, BMI, body fat ratio, and much more!

I wonder how accurate is the calorie expenditure reading given by this scale - for my current weight of 201 lb for a height of 5.6, it gave a BMR of 1630 calories.

But I know that to maintain my weight I should eat no more than 1200 calories and to lose, I have to exercise on top of that. If I ate 1630 calories each day, I would gain weight like anything!

I wonder where we can find out our accurate BMR.
BigNomore71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:03 PM   #2  
mjf

Didn't you answer your own question? If you maintain when you eat 1200 calories without exercising, then I guess your BMR is around 1200.

What type of exercise do you do? If you do weightlifting and build muscle, it'll increase your BMR, and then you'll be able to eat more without gaining weight.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 229/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Didn't you answer your own question? If you maintain when you eat 1200 calories without exercising, then I guess your BMR is around 1200.

What type of exercise do you do? If you do weightlifting and build muscle, it'll increase your BMR, and then you'll be able to eat more without gaining weight.
I wonder how to find out our accurate BMR then! Isn't the formula out there, used by the scale, supposed to give an accurate BMR reading? How come what I burn actually is way different and less than what is given by the formula?

Exercises I do: Pure and sheer cardio 6x a week for an hour.

Propose to change that to incorporate 3x * 1/2 hr of weight training per week soon.
BigNomore71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:28 PM   #4  
mjf

Here's the formula: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris...edict_equation (there are several different versions of the formula)

The formula is only an approximation, and it doesn't take muscle mass into account, so it won't be accurate for everyone.

If you're doing only cardio and no weight training, that's probably why your BMR is low.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote