Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 12:05 PM   #16  
Is it Friday yet?

Ooooh, fresh thread!

Amarantha, the Hag o' the Hut returneth! Thank you oodles for conjuring up a new thread - with a new October twist! Love the idea! Sign me up!

Don't new threads feel like crawling into bed with freshly washed sheets??? All snuggly and clean.... :

Had an ok weekend - waste of time at the Festival with PartyLite - totally wrong crowd. They were more worried about when the beer truck was going to show up.... Oh well, carrying on!

Kaylets, I'm sorry to hear about your great uncle. I was close to mine too. Every time I've been called for jury duty he'd get me out (he was a California Highway Patrol), then after he retired he would always tell me "you tell them you got a Chipper in your family and you can't serve!" Cherish and retell your memories!

Zadie, a Halloween bar swearing huh? How funny! We'll keep thinking good thoughts for you!

Cerise, I can't imagine what it's like watching someone you love harm themselves like that.... the closest I can come is watching my stepfather smoke when he's already got emphysema - but that doesn't have the same feeling of inevitability that you're speaking of. You can only control yourself - you know heredity dealt you a somewhat icky hand, but you can do a lot with those cards girl! You don't have to be your dad, repeat that to yourself!

Ceara, the pups are cuuuuuute! I love being able to put a face to the name too - I just may have to post a pic someday!

Weight loss wise I had a surprising week. Down 1.8 - I thought it'd be less since the Festival no food even remotely resembling "healthy" so I did the best I could - brought my own water, apples for snacks.... Guess I did purdy good!

My goal for this challenge - yikes.... I guess saying "make it to Onderland" would be a gimme since I'm at 204'ish now. So, I'll say anything less than 195 is my goal.

Toodles for now!

Terri
Old 09-02-2003, 12:13 PM   #17  
Gonna be strong and fit!

Smile Goals!

Well, I have thought on this(and even wrote it in a brand new journal-not the food kind-so I can track my goals)

-weigh 7 pounds less

-continue watch my carb intake

-continue my challenge of eating out no more than 2x/wk

There, my goals are obtainable, measureable and reasonable. I can do this!!!
Old 09-02-2003, 12:20 PM   #18  

Cerise, CHIN UP--
I bet if your Dad was so inclined to speak from his heart, he would say he wishes he had done things differently. Right now, he sees no other way....
BUT you do see another way-- and that is the most important place to arrive--
If we don't think there is anything wrong we don't look for a solution.... right???
The Play It Again store makes good sense to me....especially since it combines so many good things -- recycling, economizing, fitness, and maybe even networking???

Cerise, there was a time when 224 was a lower number than where I was ... now I look longingly at Zadie's and the Empress's goals..... We are all okay, we are all learning new habits, doing better than before WITH NO GUILT.

I know your Dad must be a real sweetie--look at you... after all, apple doesnt fall too far from the tree-- Maybe he will become inspired by your success-- Maybe not--- There are folks who tried to encourage me to quit smoking, lose weight , become more active--- Until I made up my own mind, I wasn't hearing them....

Let's have a toast to all of those who mean so much to us and hope their journey is an easy one.

I'm behind on my water today and havent taken my supplements but you have helped motivate me to just do it! Thanks! I really did need that!

Empress- how are those gas prices anyway?? You know we are all seeing an increase--here about .15 to .20 - -- what is the word your way about how long the repair is expected to take -- or are they now blaming the power outage too??

Zadie- tell me more about the community excercise classes!?

Think I'll check in w/ DH and see how his work day is going.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:31 PM   #19  

Hi Punkin!

Seems likes its been forever since we've been posting at the same time! I was wondering if you'd be by.
Congrats on the pounds down !
How goes Partylite?
Old 09-02-2003, 12:53 PM   #20  
caffeine free!

Hi,
re: Community ed. aerobics classes
It is through the saint paul schools. They have all kinds of classes, many fitness classes, but the ones that I am thinking of signing up for are at a local junior high. The classes run from late september to the middle of december from 5:40-6:40 M-Th and 8:30-9:30 Saturday mornings. Monday is power hour, tuesday is total body workout, wednesday is step, thursday is boot camp and saturday is combination hi/low. It is only 79 dollars which seems like a good deal. My only reservation is that I am a bit shy and a bit lazy and fear that I would just not go. That said, I think I will sign up anyway and resolve to do it. I am working on a friend of my to do it with me so that I am forced to go.

I am so glad everyone seems to be showing up on the thread. New threads are exciting, but I always fear that some people will get lost along the way.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:05 PM   #21  

Zadie, I am just realizing this instant where you are- That's where my Aunt and Uncle live. In fact, my mom 's flight should be coming in any minute. The obituary is in the Pioneer this am.

Small world isnt it?
Old 09-02-2003, 01:18 PM   #22  
caffeine free!

very small indeed
Old 09-02-2003, 01:36 PM   #23  

As I've said before, we are more alike than different.

And some folks say we're more closely related than we imagine too.

Think I'll have some tomato soup- anybody with me??
Old 09-02-2003, 02:02 PM   #24  
Empress/Queen

The Hag went to the Scary Forest Walmart and came back and she's all behind in catching up with the Daylight Savings End Preparation/Time to Change The Hourglass team!!! So great to see everyone ... I am really charged about this challenge and how far it's going to take us to our goals. And if we don't get there by the 26th, we can do a mini sprint to Halloween, 'cause this is the SCARY, WARY SEASON O' CHANGE and WE WILL SUCCEED!!! WHOOOOOO!

I can't see all the posts from the screen I'm on; I read all the new posts but I can't see 'em and Hagometric isn't getting any younger here and the brain cells are flickering, so I'll just say, "Whoooo to everyone!"

Cerise: I know what you mean about that fear of inevitability. My mom had Alzheimer's and there are a number of people who are close to me who've, I think, written off my future already, as I am so much like her. I, on the other hand, refuse to be tested (don't wanna know) and refuse to live my life as a living sacrifice to some stupid medical condition that may never come to pass. Not to sound like a copycat, here, but my family members all get arthritis, too, but, you see, I DON'T HAVE IT! So there you are. Nothing is inevitable. You mention that your dad, bless him, is going through this surgery and sitting there eating his head off (I don't mean this to sound judgement against your father, just a point I think you should consider). YOU, on the other hand, m'dearie (lovely Scots lady voice), are GOING OUT AND BUYING SOCCER EQUIPMENT. See what I mean? You're going to have fun and reach your goals and maybe soon your dad will also see IT'S TIME TO CHANGE THE SEASON!

There was something in one of the posts I can't see about looking at some of the goals and looking forward to having those numbers. Wanted to comment that it is all one, no matter where we are in the journey, it is the same struggle (well, maybe not a struggle for me because I like playing the game, but it's the same journey). WE WILL ALL GET TO GOAL AND THE JOURNEY DOESN'T STOP THERE, BECAUSE AS YA'LL KNOW, MAINTENANCE IS THE NEXT STEP! We're all going to get to maintenance and be the first maintenance thread on 3FC!

Zadie: Those community education classes sound like a great deal and lots of fun!

It will come to pass, the crystal ball in the dark hut (dark 'cause there's no DST) foretells it!!

QOD: I've gone to a movie with a friend and we both left because it was lousy. It was "Judge Dread" and (sorry in advance if anyone out there loved this movie, my opinion only) it was so sick and violent that my friend and I just looked at each other after about 10 minutes and got outta there. We then bought pizza and sat in a parking lot in the middle of a blizzard (it was back east) and talked for two hours, so that was much better.

Sorry to be so long. I'm glad to be part of this group again!!! Will go into brevity mode in future!
Old 09-02-2003, 10:23 PM   #25  
Empress/Queen

Ok, in brevity mode but see more of the posts, so ...

Punkin: on the good-bye to 1.8 happy s! Mayhap they enjoyed the festival so much they decided to go live there! Sorry it wasn't the day for PartyLite, but you'll doubtless find a better market next time.

Kaylets: We're loaded with gas down here now, although they haven't as far as I know fixed the pipeline. There is a waiver allowing the area to use conventional gas, which isn't normally allowed until winter. So we have a worse environment, but at least we can drive. Also, people have stopped stockpiling. The prices are high, I guess. I don't honestly notice 'em much ... just happy to get gas! No blaming of the power outage ... the governor seems to blame the pipeline company ... also Arizona has no refinery in the state and that makes for a problem. It's always like this here ... too hot, too many thermal inversions, no gas, no water, too many people planting yards, too many people from other places, too much of everything ...

Er, I digress. Was going to be brief and focused, sorry for two posts in a row.

I'm doing great on Flexpoints, on to DAY 4 of the MARCH TO END O' DS/TIME FOR A CHANGE time and no one should even be a'thinkin' o' that other holiday that comes 5 days later and celebrates such EVIL DEMONS as the and etc., no thinkin' about any o' those s ... no, no, no ... let's keep those thoughts outta here!!!
Old 09-02-2003, 10:46 PM   #26  
Spreadin' the luv.

Arrow To Amarantha

Girl, don't you EVER be brief just to be brief! Then I'll be the only one posting page-long stuff (it's already usually longer than yours) and it'll be lonely! Don't even joke about that stuff!

QOD: when I go to a movie and it's bad, it depends on whom I'm with whether or not I'll leave. If it's Ramon, baby, we just stay and laugh our heads off. We don't even have to say anything to know which parts the other hates the most. We saw "The Musketeer" (sorry to anyone who loves it), the WORST film ever made, and had a terrible/great time. The fun thing was, everyone else in the theatre hated it, too, so our pleasure knew no bounds.

Ahh, Kaylets, I'm so sorry about your dear uncle. It must feel terrible to be so far away from an aunt that has discovered that she needs her family. I've got such a messiah complex about that kind of stuff...it must frustrate you. I believe, though, that when someone suddenly reaches out for...love, help, companionship, someone will always reach back. I don't think it's ever too late to amass a caring community around you, and I'll pray that it's true for your auntie.

Thank you for your words about my despair over genetics. "It doesn't have to be that way" seems to be something of a mantra for me now. Thank you for reminding me. You, too, Punkin. Chin's in the air, Mamas.

Amarantha (again), thank you for being such a...force of nature behind my back. You uplift me more than I can ever say. And hey, Dad's fair game. Until I find out that my mother joined this thread. She may. No, really, Dad's made his choices and I'm gonna talk about them for my own survival, though I love him and it hurts to do it.

Zadie, how cool are you for joining a community class? Man, so many people talk about joining those things and never do. Get in there and mow them down, girl! Use a push-mower, you'll get more exercise...I can't wait to hear that you've passed the Bar, sworn yourself in and are a Lawer! That's Ms. Lawyer to you.

Ooooh, Bo-Beena, a brand-new journal! Perfect for your brand-new goals, which sound good to me! You are going to nail them, I sweartoGod.

Punkin, Onederland's just a hop away for you. When I first met you in late spring you weighed just a bit more than me, about 225 or so. Look where you are now! Floatin' away like thistledown, glittering in the sunlight. Girl, beer (keggers, to be precise) and Partylite do NOT mix, as you've obviously learned. Shake the dust off your feet. You know people drop inordinate amounts of money for that stuff. It's an inevitability that you'll get that trip to Maui or the pink car that smells like apple pie or whatever...Go Gettem!!!!

Ladies, I want you to check in with me. I want to hear that none of you are looking forward to being thinner so you can be beautiful, assertive, clever, or have better self-esteems. I want to hear that you have that stuff NOW. Please? I hate it when women trying to lose weight talk about "when I'm thin..." and name off stuff they can do now, like hold their head up in public, tell someone off for rudeness, nod approvingly in the mirror at a new outfit. Please check in with me and tell me it's not like that here. And promise me that we won't talk about our bodies in a deragatory way. OK? Where's this coming from? I was talking to a group of bigger girls and they kept saying stuff like, "I want my husband to think I'm beautiful someday (WHAT!?!?!)" and "If I didn't have this huge, fat @$$ I'd tell that guy where to go" and stuff like that. That's poison, don't you think?

Anyway, they scared the **** out of me. Love yourselves as I love you. And if you don't think you're beautiful, take it from me, seriously, that you ARE.

Peace out. God, I'm long-winded.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:20 AM   #27  
Empress/Queen

Cerise, your words are right on! Let me be the first to say, "I was beautiful at 247 pounds and I'm beautiful now and I'll be beautiful at 135 pounds!

Had more to say about that. Sent you a pm.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:05 AM   #28  

Hello all!

Now I've gone and done it-- 4 days off in a row and am not looking forward to going back. Imagine it might be a little wild --
I did enjoy bebop on the thread yesterday -- I am always wishing I could chime in from work...

You're right Cerise-- We need to enjoy ourselves now -- not when... That is my big insight lately, that it goes by much much faster than we think -- and we need to take advantage of every moment for whatever it offers as no matter when it ends, it still goes by very, very fast.

Today's thought is:
"Give what you have,
To someone it may be better
Than you dare to think."
--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Question of the day is:

"Do you get more accomplished during the day or the eveing?"
---Table Topics

Thanks for your support this weekend-- I am starting to feel more like myself. I appreciate your kind words and thoughts.

Take care all.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:17 AM   #29  

Ha, found you! Thanks for big breadcrumbs, Ceara.

Brevity mode here. Just lost third consecutive LONG post in last several days, this one in trying to save it in case I lost it.

have had two GOOD HEALTH DAYS.

Posting now to see if I can get it to work this time.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:19 AM   #30  

well, that may be the secret. Short!! I suspect the first two didn't pass muster as they were very me, me and probably things that were just as well unsaid anyway.
Closed Thread