Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-09-2017, 10:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/256/140

Height: 5ft 4

Default Can I do 80-90% strength training with only low intensity cardio and still lose weigh

Trying to lose weight again this year. Back in 2014 I lost 100lbs and now I've pretty much out it all back on I think as I haven't dieted in a while. I don't know what weight I am as I find I get a bit triggered and obsessed and it can lead to disordered eating.
I think I'm a UK 20/22 and I want to be a UK 16 (ideally a 14) by October this year, so I have ten months to drop 3 dress size. Do you think this is doable if I count calories (I'm eating around 1300 day).

The only problem is that I can't do cardio. the reason I lost 100lbs then had to stop (I really didn't want to and could've kept going) is because I developed this breathing problem that felt like "air hunger." My GP looked into it and we explored whether it was asthma. It wasn't, my lungs are normal.i reckon it's overbreathing from the cardio I used to do (I used to do intense cardio x5 a week and maybe it was too much back then for someone of my weight, even though I was quite fit).

Now I want to get back into it without triggering my breathing. I've been going for walks but that's about all I can do cardio wise as I'm scared the breathing problem will come back (it went away eventually when I stopped working out altogether).

I don't want to risk it coming back because then I won't be able to do anything AT ALL. I'd even get it (feeling like I'm not getting enough air) when just sitting down.

Anyway, the point of this post: can I do mostly strength training (as well as calorie counting) and still lose a good amount of weight?
I miss intense cardio so much as it kept my depression at bay, it made me feel so much better. But only intense cardio would help my depression (I used to do the elliptical at home x2 a week, 21 day fix or insanity cardio workouts x2-3 per week). I wish I could do that again but sadly can't. I'll have to stick to just walking.

I plan now on walking a mile 2/3 days a week, but mostly focussing on strength training. Strength training x3-4 a week, working out with weights (push ups, squats, lunges, tricep dips etc.)

Will I lose weight slower that way?
Violeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 137.8 22~% / 21.0% / 15%

Height: 5'4 1/2

I think walking is a great exercise for people with breathing problems. Are you able to put your treadmill on an incline, or try to walk faster a little bit every day? Do what you can, but don't exert yourself.

Yes you can lose weight if you control your eating. That's the most important thing. You will have to eat a lot of protein, because lifting requires you to eat. If you don't eat, you won't be able to lift as hard. So load up on the protein! Pretty soon you will see that fat turning into muscle! You can do it!
stronggal is offline   Reply With Quote