3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Have you ever used a nutritionist? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/309281-have-you-ever-used-nutritionist.html)

2feelbetter 05-01-2016 09:33 PM

Have you ever used a nutritionist?

I was wondering about nutritionist. If anyone has ever used one I'd like to know was it helpful?
What do they do?

Just want to know if its an avenue I should persue.

Munchy 05-02-2016 09:23 AM

I have, but we were working on re-feeding. My only suggestion is to make sure you see a Registered Dietician and not a Nutritionist. The former has a lot of schooling behind it (if you can get one that is an RD and RN, even better) and the latter can be a super short certification program.

Sundove 05-02-2016 09:42 AM

What Munchy said. And, I saw a RD who also had training & experience in disordered eating, a hybrid dietician & couselor. She was excellent, she worked from what my preferences were & the things she told me to do, not to do, were grounded in research, so not the old cookie cutter, one size fits all approach. I went twice.

Suggestion would be to interview over the phone, or ask around, to get a good fit. And definitely get someone who has the RD--they are licensed so have accountability, and a lot of education behind them so are less likely to spew a lot of .com info that you can get for yourself on the web.

2feelbetter 05-02-2016 11:50 AM

Thank you Sundove & Munchy I just found one in my area that is a RD and CDN I don't know exactly what I'm looking for I just know I need some kind of help. I don't want to do weight watchers because I know I'm not going to stick with it. I'm a cronic snacker junk food eater. If I could just cut that out I may stand a chance. I'm in the gym at least 3-4 times a week and I'm gaining weight.
Sundove did she help you at all?
Munchy what is re-feeding?

Palestrina 05-05-2016 09:36 AM

I'd like to know what refeeding is also.

I saw a nutritional therapist, who is a dietician that specializes in helping people normalize their food behaviors. In my case she specialized in intuitive eating,helping me address my food behaviors, and normalizing my relationship with food. She helped me find coping methods so I don't have to turn to food for emotional reasons. It has been the best thing I have ever done for my health.

Munchy 05-05-2016 09:53 AM

We were trying to normalize my BMR after a 20 year ED-NOS to bring my BMR back up to "normal" rates. It takes a few months for every year of under eating. I made it 9 months of blind weighing and trusting her plan before I went to a doctor who told me I was obese with the refeeding weight gain (my BMI was 26 at the time) and she handed me a calorie counting brochure.

I never went back to my RD again, but that's just because of circumstances. She was excellent and we did a fair amount of counseling about emotions related to food. She even gave me homework assignments such as - write about the earliest memory of weight shaming that you can recall, etc.