3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   March 2016 - Daily Accountability/Lifestyle Change - Everyone Welcome! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/308500-march-2016-daily-accountability-lifestyle-change-everyone-welcome.html)

ciecie 03-05-2016 07:54 AM

will have some breakfast and exercise in a few minutes. :D

Diana3271 03-05-2016 08:21 AM

Good Morning, Everyone! :wave:

Last night I added on: Tamilee Webb's Total Body Stretch (standing)
This Morning: Oxycise Level 2 workout

Calories for yesterday: 1500 + :coffee:
Weigh In: 166.2
Down: .4

Have a great Saturday and weekend!

Inkrid 03-05-2016 08:43 AM

:dust: for Everyone!!

ZCA72 ~ Congratz on the 170s!! A Milestone! :carrot:
Novangel ~ I hate the TOM!! :(
Sundove~ Congraz on fitting into more clothes!! :D
Nicholsfamily1987~ I don't have my big meal of the day on purpose! It's more like I can't eat ANYTHING in the AM (have to force myself to eat) and then by the PM I am starving!! ... And don't let juice bars fool you ~ they can have hundreds of calories and potentially a lot of fruit/sugar in them!! In my town a juice costs as much as a sandwich ~ and is just as filling!! :dizzy:

This is the end of the week so will scrounge around for food. Probably Bacon/Eggs in a minute. Left over Chinese. And Fish and Spinach from the freezer!! Had Gogi Berries yesterday ~ sweet taste at first but with a sour aftertaste... May combine some Nuts I have today for a Homemade Trail Mix!

Had some sort of breakthrough... My newly 18 year old Son was complaining, "Is this dinner?" to the Shrimp and Honey with the Kale Salad. To which I replied, "You are now a Grown-Azz Man! You can drive to the store and get what you want, or look in the fridge, freezer or pantry and cook something." My DH backed me up by saying, "You have to start hunting buffalo now." :lol:

Have a Happy Weekend Everyone!!

ciecie 03-05-2016 09:25 AM

just finished a healthy breakfast! will work out and the off to run some errands. :D

BelovedWarrior 03-05-2016 10:24 AM

Good Morning ALL :coffee: I'm on the run this AM ....

Sundove - thanks for the recipe. I just purchased hamburger and garlic yesterday... so, this will be great to try tonight. :stir:

ciecie 03-05-2016 11:37 AM

just got back from running errands and going for a power walk. will do the remainder of my leslie sansone 4 mile walk in a few minutes. :D

CoolMom75 03-05-2016 11:58 AM

today is day 30 of eating within my calorie range and not weighing. I have a dinner party to attend tonight, so I weighed in and will start the next 30 day stretch tomorrow.

W 152.8 (down about 5 pounds)

ciecie 03-05-2016 12:37 PM

coolmom75, congrats on losing 5 pounds! :D

Lorri1972 03-05-2016 06:07 PM

Started IP Feb 1. Lost 10 pounds but it is March and hoping to have lost more. I weigh 158 now.

Angie 03-05-2016 06:23 PM

Retrorabbit -- good luck with your essays!

Gail -- congrats on your nsv with your pants!

ZCA72 -- I'm happy for you that you hit a new milestone, congratulations!

Novangel -- great job on your exercise, I hope it was a great money day too!

Nicholsfamily -- I'm glad things turned around for your little one.

Inkrid -- lol @ your comeback to your son...I love it

Coolmom. -- great job on the five pounds! I hope the dinner party goes well.

Diana -- :wave: I'm going to post an explanation of ketosis in a separate reply...

Angie 03-05-2016 06:29 PM

Some info on ketones and ketosis from my diet site...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis

What are ketones?

Ketones are a normal and efficient source of fuel and energy for the human body. They are produced by the liver from fatty acids, which result from the breakdown of body fat in response to the absence of glucose/sugar. In a ketogenic diet, such as Atkins ... or diets used for treating epilepsy in children, the tiny amounts of glucose required for some select functions can be met by consuming a minimum amount of carbs - or can be manufactured in the liver from PROTEIN. When your body is producing ketones, and using them for fuel, this is called "ketosis".

How will ketosis help me to lose weight?

Most reducing diets restrict calorie intake, so you lose weight but some of that is fat and some of it is lean muscle tissue as well. Less muscle means slowed metabolism, which makes losing weight more difficult and gaining it back all too easy. Ketosis will help you to lose FAT.

Being in ketosis means that your body's primary source of energy is fat (in the form of ketones). When you consume adequate protein as well, there's no need for the body to break down its muscle tissue. Ketosis also tends to accelerate fat loss --- once the liver converts fat to ketones, it can't be converted back to fat, and so is excreted.

But, isn't ketosis dangerous?

Being in ketosis by following a low carbohydrate diet is NOT dangerous. The human body was designed to use ketones very efficiently as fuel in the absence of glucose. However, the word ketosis is often confused with a similar word, ketoacidosis.

Ketoacidosis is a dangerous condition for diabetics, and the main element is ACID not ketones. The blood pH becomes dangerously acidic because of an extremely high blood SUGAR level (the diabetic has no insulin, or doesn't respond to insulin .... so blood sugar rises ... ketones are produced by the body to provide the fuel necessary for life, since the cells can't use the sugar). It's the high blood sugar, and the acid condition that is so dangerous. Ketones just happen to be a part of the picture, and are a RESULT of the condition, not the CAUSE. Diabetics can safely follow a ketogenic diet to lose fat weight ... but they must be closely monitored by their health care provider, and blood sugars need to be kept low, and stable.

Does caffeine affect ketosis?

This is questionable. There ARE a few studies that suggest caffeine may cause blood sugar to rise, with consequent effect on insulin ... The studies involve consuming 50 gm glucose orally, followed by a dose of caffeine. This is quite different from a low carber, who is consuming only 20 gm carbs, in the form of high-fiber vegetables, spread throughout the day.

Many low carbers continue to enjoy caffeine-containing beverages with no serious impact on their weight-loss efforts. However, there are some sensitive individuals ... and persons who are extremely insulin resistant may need to restrict or even eliminate all caffeine. If you have been losing successfully then find your weight loss stalled for a month or two, and you are following your program to the letter, you might consider stopping all caffeine for a while, to see if that will get things started again.

Will drinking alcohol affect ketosis?

No and yes. The liver can make ketones out of alcohol, so technically, when you drink you'll continue to produce ketones and so will remain in ketosis. The problem is ... alcohol converts more easily to ketones than fatty acids, so your liver will use the alchol first, in preference to fat. Thus, when you drink, basically your FAT burning is put on hold until all the alcohol is out of your system.

This rapid breakdown of alcohol into ketones and acetaldehyde (the intoxicating by-product) ... tends to put low carbers at risk for quicker intoxication ... especially if no other food is consumed to slow absorption.

Diana3271 03-05-2016 07:21 PM

HI Everyone! :wave:

I am waiting for DH to get home from the farm. I still need to cook his dinner. Something has happened to my email and it asked for my password. Hmm. :chin: I'm not actually suppose to know that, am I? :lol: I have a book at work with all of our passwords. Hopefully I don't get locked out of my email. I have had this email address since Al Gore invented the internet. :rofl:

Inkrid Hopefully your DS can see the err of his ways or possibly learn to hunt. :lol:

Sundove Enjoy the dinner party. I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Ciecie Good job with the consistency.

Belovedwarrior I hope you had a great day!

CoolMom Great job with the 5 pounds! Enjoy the dinner party.

Lorri1972 Hi and welcome to the check-in. :welcome2: Congrats on your weight loss so far!

Angie Thank you for the info. Very interesting.

Waving Hi all around!

Sundove 03-05-2016 07:39 PM

Thanks Diana! I had the same thing happen with my email. Weird!

Diana3271 03-05-2016 08:01 PM

Sundove Was it today or another time?

Sundove 03-05-2016 08:11 PM

Diana, just this afternoon, and also about a week ago.