Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-17-2015, 05:57 PM   #1  

Default I over-eat and street-eat at night

I have two kids and I work full time. I do great with food from 5 am until 4 pm. But when I get home with the kids, and the stressful routine of bath time, homework time, dinner time and bedtime takes over, I eat. A lot. Same goes for weekends. From the moment I get home at 4 pm, until I go to bed, I will snack on whatever I can get my hands on. Whether it is the kids' leftovers, or crackers, or pretzels, I eat and eat and eat. When the kids go to bed, and my husband isn't home yet, I am dead tired -- and I park my *** on the couch, and eat some more.

I don't have overly unhealthy food at home, and I don't indulge in the food I really want to be eating, like ice cream or cookies. Rather, I eat copious amounts of rather boring food - oil-free popcorn, pretzels, crackers, non-fat cheese.

I need to figure out how to unwind at night without food. I feel guilty and ashamed over the fact that I'm gaining weight, and my clothes are feeling tighter. I feel like I've gotten myself into a hole that I can't get out of in terms of my weight. And that fuels my overeating.

What do I do?
ilike2eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:12 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

Hi ilike2eat,

ME TOO!!! This parallels my story and my kids are older!!

The only thing I can think of is to substitute the snack foods until you can totally wean off snacks altogether. Like, just have apples and peanut butter for a snack. Or carrots and hummus. Get individual snack bags for the kids and label them with their names in case you get tempted. If its the kids' leftovers, just eat the veggies and maybe the meats. Carbs and sugars consider Non Foods and throw them quickly away without even looking at them.

Then the next month see if you can not eat their leftovers at all.

Another thing you can do is get a harmless obsession that has nothing to do with food. I play iPhone and online games. I feel like a child but this way I'm not mindlessly eating in front of the TV!

Last edited by Inkrid; 12-18-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Inkrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

First thing may be having a snack right before you leave work if you find that you're hungry as soon as you get home. If it's just a habit and not actual hunger, then disregard.

Second, I like to cook on weekends so I don't have to cook much during the week. It makes my entire week less stressful (less unwinding needed) and we already have our plans of what we're eating. It also keeps me out of the kitchen!

Chewing gum can be a great way to train yourself not to take nibbles of things. Nobody wants a bite of leftovers while chewing gum.

Also, I don't know the ages of your kids, but can you give them more responsibility? My daughter is 8 and she can pack her own lunch (with supervision), do homework, shower, pick out her clothes herself. The one thing I do need to do is drive her to her various activities, but she walks herself in and out.

Lastly, is there something else you can do at home to unwind? Maybe try some kind of home workout? I like to read - instant calming for me.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Ilike2eat, it's possible you might be carb-sensitive. For people who are, like me, starchy carbs (like the boring "healthy" snacks you're eating) cause our blood sugar to spike, which causes our bodies to be flooded with insulin in an attempt to bring our blood sugar down to normal levels. However, that flood of insulin causes our blood sugar to drop too low, so our bodies give us hunger cues to eat to raise our blood sugar again, and the things we are made to crave are starchy (or sugary) foods, which are the foods that raise blood sugar most quickly. It's a vicious cycle that causes us to eat and eat but continue to feel hungry, and as a result we gain weight. Those foods are extremely unhealthy for someone who is carb-sensitive. Protein and healthy fat foods are a much better option for snacks. Meat, eggs, nuts, seeds, full-fat cheese, yogurt, etc.--these things won't cause blood sugar to spike and you'll feel fuller. You might try switching the types of foods you eat and see if it makes a difference. I've lost 50 lbs since May, so it's made a difference for me!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 12-18-2015 at 11:46 PM.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 188/181/155

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilike2eat View Post
I have two kids and I work full time.... I eat copious amounts of rather boring food - oil-free popcorn, pretzels, crackers, non-fat cheese.
Hello ilike2eat,

I like (more like love) to eat too!

The foods you said you like to eat indicate you are low on serotonin levels. Cravings for carbs that are starchy/salty/crunchy usually tell me that. And dairy makes you happy...literally(helps produce serotonin).

For a non-snack tip help to relax, try GABA. It's a supplement you can buy at Whole Foods for $7 (or any health food store).

If you must snack, try a few almonds instead or maybe have salmon for dinner. You'd still get better nutrition than the popcorn and the fat with fiber will help you stay satiated.

But if I could really help you, I'd probably just baby-sit your kids while you took some much needed "Mommy needs a break" time.

-Jerusha
Swenea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 09:48 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/133/125

Height: 5'5

I struggle with this as well and it's so hard finding a substitute. The best thing for me has been to find a stress release that requires me to use my hands. For me, it's reading, not classics but any fun book that makes me happy even if it's a guilty pleasure or a self-development book. Reading fun websites or looking at pictures online can also help. Playing computer or video games is another good option or looking at magazines or talking with friends and family. Think back to your childhood and what activities made you happy and fulfilled.
Zucena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 03:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilike2eat View Post
I don't have overly unhealthy food at home, and I don't indulge in the food I really want to be eating, like ice cream or cookies. Rather, I eat copious amounts of rather boring food - oil-free popcorn, pretzels, crackers, non-fat cheese.
Empty carbs do this to me too. Even a saltine. If I eat a saltine, I want another and another and a SLEEVE of saltines.

I have found, it is easier to say to the first saltine than the second saltine. Not eating empty carbs reduces/eliminates the cravings in a way that I would never have imagined possible back when I was a slave to empty carbs.

I thought I had a problem with food, it turned out I had a problem with SOME foods - chips, crackers, cookies, anything white, carby and processed.

So, this is what works for me: focusing on eating healthy, WHOLE foods and complex carbohydrates. A measured serving of brown rice with stir fry? Okay. A couple of Ritz crackers - NO!

Decide on a delicious healthy after dinner treat - a baked apple with cinnamon or a handful of almonds, or a piece of really great cheddar cheese. Then, brush your teeth and declare the kitchen closed.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:55 PM   #8  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Could you find a way to embrace and change up the evening routine?

Stop seeing it as a stressful thing, and turn it into a positive!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 08:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 206.4/202.8/117

Height: 5'4"

Default You're not alone!!

I have a terrible habit of self sabotage. Last year I lost almost 20p and I have now gained it all back. I started up my better eating regimen this week, and I lasted all of 2 stinking days before I broke down and drove to taco bell in the middle of the night! I'm so ashamed at myself. It always feels most difficult to stay on track at night. Hopefully this forum helps you to break out of the bad eating cycle!

Last edited by beagonzalez; 01-05-2016 at 08:38 PM.
beagonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote