Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-15-2015, 03:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Fat loss cannot be more than 2 lbs a week correct?

Is it correct that one cannot lose fat, however hard she tries, more than 2 lbs a week and that any more weight loss would come from lean muscles only?

Why is this so?
BigNomore71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:00 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Nope. I had 4lbs a week total loss all the way down to 180lbs. I lost a fair amount of muscle with that and am now building up but I can say it was not 2lbs of muscle loss a week else I would probably not be here!

I am a firm believer in you need to break yourself down to build yourself up again. Trying to lose fat without losing muscle, in my opinion, is a road to ruin. Better to lose both but then build muscle later after the fat has gone.

To lose weight (fat and muscle), eat less. Do cardio.

The formula for building muscle is pretty easy but takes time. Eat lean protein. Lift weights.

To lose weight (fat) but try to maintain muscle as much as you can, eat less, do cardio, try to keep your lean protein up as much as you can while eating less and lift weights.

The last one is hard because if you eat too much (and you may want to with the exercise) the fat won't go. The first two are easier.

Last edited by IanG; 09-15-2015 at 09:13 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:04 AM   #3  
mam1958

S/C/G: 307/267/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Nope. I had 4lbs a week total loss all the way down to 180lbs. I lost a fair amount of muscle with that and am now building up but I can say it was not 2lbs of muscle loss a week else I would probably not be here!

I am a firm believer in you need to break yourself down to build yourself up again. Trying to lose fat without losing muscle, in my opinion, is a road to ruin. Better to lose both but then build muscle later after the fat has gone.

To lose weight (fat and muscle), eat less. Do cardio.

The formula for building muscle is pretty easy but takes time. Eat lean protein. Lift weights.

To lose weight (fat) but try to maintain muscle as much as you can, eat less, do cardio, try to keep your lean protein up as much as you can while eating less and lift weights.

The last one is hard because if you eat too much (and you may want to with the exercise) the fat won't go. The first two are easier.
Thanks Ian never knew it was broken down so easily like this.

71 Everyone loses at a different rate. You are still young and more muscle so you may lose faster. I lost 3 pounds a week on my journey down the scale. I now am starting my journey down the scale again 20 years later and it is much more difficult. 1 to 2 pounds now.

LG
mam1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:45 AM   #4  

Thanks Ian and man1958.

I'm so frustrated with my inability to stick to an exercise program for long... and to lose weight. My story is one of lose 10 lbs, become idle, gain the 10 and lose it back again over and over... So I wanted to lose the maximum weight while I am still motivated (say typically my motivational session lasts 2 - 3 months).. This time I have lost 2.5 lbs in 1 week. Good to know it is possible to lose more than 2 lbs, that is what I am aiming at.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 152/104/102

Height: 5'2"

I will tell you that as a shortie, I do better only dieting to lose weight- not exercising. If I exercise I can do light weight bearing exercises, but never cardio. Cardio makes me raving hungry. Not just a little! My post workout healthy protein snacks were so high in calories that I lost any benefit to the exercise as far as weight is concerned.

More beneficial was keeping my diet at no more than 1000 calories per day and taking good vitamins. I have lost some muscle (but not much actually), and I've lost fairly easily. Only been at this for 6 months.
kristip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 09:18 AM   #6  

Kristi,

I have tried that out - when I was around 30, I had enough metabolism to lose weight through diet alone. I remember losing 25 lbs by dieting alone. Now I am in my 40's and I cannot lose weight the diet route alone. Coupled with that I have Thyroid condition which still further hampers the metabolism. I believe that for those in my condition (of having a sluggish metabolism), exercise is a must.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:38 AM   #7  

Height: 5'9"

I am in my 40s and I hear you! Am currently having good luck with the Joe Cross plan. He does juicing/raw vegan. I basically do that at home but eat normally socially. It gets to a point where I don't want to think about dieting!! I also don't go on the scale. I haven't given up, but don't have the bandwidth anymore. And from your picture, you already look good!! Just keep up whatever plan you're on. It's like polishing diamonds ~ you are "there" ~ don't worry so much!
Inkrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:52 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 130/108/104

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristip View Post
I will tell you that as a shortie, I do better only dieting to lose weight- not exercising. If I exercise I can do light weight bearing exercises, but never cardio. Cardio makes me raving hungry. Not just a little! My post workout healthy protein snacks were so high in calories that I lost any benefit to the exercise as far as weight is concerned.

More beneficial was keeping my diet at no more than 1000 calories per day and taking good vitamins. I have lost some muscle (but not much actually), and I've lost fairly easily. Only been at this for 6 months.
I second this, not to mention when I am restricting calories my energy sucks. I like Ian's analogy of breaking things down to build back up again. I know I also find exercise easier and less discouraging when I am at a lighter weight.

I do some exercise with diet, just mainly walking, staying active around the house (hey every calorie burned counts!) and some yoga.

Personally consistency is key, if I can adjust to a change in 21-30 days I am more likely to stick with it. But I know if I make too many changes to quick I will crash and burn and its less likely to be a healthy habit.
chubbysmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:40 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkrid View Post
I am in my 40s and I hear you! Am currently having good luck with the Joe Cross plan. He does juicing/raw vegan. I basically do that at home but eat normally socially. It gets to a point where I don't want to think about dieting!! I also don't go on the scale. I haven't given up, but don't have the bandwidth anymore. And from your picture, you already look good!! Just keep up whatever plan you're on. It's like polishing diamonds ~ you are "there" ~ don't worry so much!
Joe Cross plan -- Sounds interesting! Thanks for mentioning that. I'll do some research on it.
Old 09-22-2015, 02:06 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

When I was actively losing, I shot for 0.5-1.0 pound/week. Anything above that was a bonus. 4 pounds isn't possible, at least for a woman, if you want to keep it off.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:50 PM   #11  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNomore71 View Post
Is it correct that one cannot lose fat, however hard she tries, more than 2 lbs a week and that any more weight loss would come from lean muscles only?

Why is this so?
That is not correct. One can lose more than 2 pounds of fat a week.

However, in the interest, of long term health and success, the recommendation is to lose between, 1/2 pound to 2 pounds a week. This should be done with a combination of healthy nutrition, and activity.

What works for one, may not work for another, however, the ultimate goal, is a healthy lifestyle, that is sustainable and sensible!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote