3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Looking so, so much bigger in photos (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/304624-looking-so-so-much-bigger-photos.html)

berryblondeboys 06-19-2015 09:27 AM

Looking so, so much bigger in photos

Anyone else ever feel like they look 50 pounds heavier in photos than you do in the mirror? I have this feeling every time. I swear, I must have the opposite effect of looking at myself than most people. I always appear thinner to myself in the mirror than I look in photos. I hate it! At my heaviest and at my thinnest.

My husband says part of it is true - as I'm terribly unphotogenic, but SIZE is not the same as "face".

I had photos taken by friends yesterday at a Black Lives Matter event... and well, I'm mortified by how i look. Not posting those photos here, but they are in my blog today (link below). UGH... I think I might burn that unflattering dress too (well, no, in a month it will be too big, but it won't be a "saver" for sure!!!)

MauiKai 06-19-2015 09:37 AM

I actually think the dress looks fine, the cut is flattering...the pattern is not a favorite for me.

Photos tell the real story. Our mind can make us see whatever it wants to. I read a post on here once by a girl who said that even though she was almost 200lbs, she sincerely still thought she looked the same as she had at 130.

I personally rely on photos to tell me what is what with me. My brain tells too many lies about what it sees in the mirror. One day I can look and all I see is fat. The next, I think WOOO, making strides! Obviously 24 hours doesn't precipitate such a change in size so the brain is clearly jerking my chain here.

berryblondeboys 06-19-2015 10:04 AM

I don't know... when I was at my thinnest 169. 26% body fat, I thought I still looked "big" in photos. I think my boobs are part of it. And I was very fit and very strong.

Here are a couple photos from my thinnest: http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g8...ps419cbfcd.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g8...psd530a74d.jpg

If I were to say that were a guage, I would say in both these photos I look like I need to lose another 20 pounds and there was NO WAY I could have done that without starving myself and getting unhealthy (and reprimands from my doctor).

Or perhaps my perceptions are off.

freelancemomma 06-19-2015 10:16 AM

Wow, great pics. Many people pay big bucks for boobs like that.

F.

berryblondeboys 06-19-2015 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freelancemomma (Post 5175921)
Wow, great pics. Many people pay big bucks for boobs like that.

F.

Ha! They only look "good" when in a bra. Otherwise they point to the floor and sag naked (and ALWAYS have - from teenage years) FAKE boobies are much more perky!

IanG 06-19-2015 10:40 AM

Yes, I hate the way I look in photos. My mirror is my sanctuary.

The worst is my iphone camera if I point to take a selfie.

nickilaughs 06-19-2015 10:47 AM

I think the camera adds 10 # is a lie. For some it ads much more. Others it doesn't. The dress isn't unflattering. I took pics even if I hated them to document this journey. When I'm having a rough day I look at them. It's been far more motivating for me than the number on the scale. I took two pics about 3 weeks apart. Scale had not budged but there was a huge difference. I posted it in a thread here.

Mrs Snark 06-19-2015 10:47 AM

You do not look "big" in these photos, really lovely! And I like the dress in your blog, actually. I think we are our own worst critics!

alaskanlaughter 06-19-2015 11:21 AM

I read somewhere that the reason photos and mirrors are hard on us is because it takes us as a 3-dimensional being and flattens it into a 2-dimensional image....I've always hated all mirrors and photos...period....I also have a disconnect between how I feel, which is always "fat", versus how my clothes fit or what the scale says also

Monkeysocks 06-19-2015 11:44 AM

I avoid photos and mirrors, but they can be a real wakeup call. I am not sure I really realize in my head how big I have gotten until I see a photo or have to buy bigger clothes. Then something comes up where I am in a family photo or something and it's OMG.

simone764 06-19-2015 12:26 PM

I hate the way I look in photos! I think it's the flat effect, lol.

lostkitty 06-19-2015 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkeysocks (Post 5175969)
I avoid photos and mirrors, but they can be a real wakeup call. I am not sure I really realize in my head how big I have gotten until I see a photo or have to buy bigger clothes. Then something comes up where I am in a family photo or something and it's OMG.

Funny thing... I always think I look great in the mirror of our bedroom but there is a nearly wall to wall mirror by the jacuzzi... I look BIG on that one (probably the most realistic one as much as I hate to admit it). So it also depends on the position of the mirror.

I have never been much into pictures but I have noticed that hubby has a natural talent to make the most photogenic person look awful... and I am not photogenic, so I never allow him to take a picture if I can help it lol

Munchy 06-19-2015 01:45 PM

I feel like I'm the opposite! In the mirror I look terrible, but in pictures I'm so much smaller. I sometimes have to have people take pictures of me in outfits so that I can see what it really looks like. Otherwise, I usually think everything is awful on me. :o

I don't think you look nearly as bad as you think in that pic with the wrap dress. It's very flattering!

Diana3271 06-19-2015 02:22 PM

Gosh, I can relate. I hate pictures and I am very unphotogenic. When I first got to goal, I had DH take pictures of me. I had bought a new camera for Christmas and was thrilled to see the pictures of my smaller self. I thought I looked like a freak. I literally asked the people closest to me about this. I think I look better in the mirror and not freakish. :lol: This "freakish" look doesn't have to do with weight, though, it has to do with how my face looks in most pictures. DH hates it when I take out the camera. He knows I'm getting ready to get upset. Also, I think and most people have said that I look smaller than my actual weight.

berryblondeboys 06-19-2015 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diana3271 (Post 5176020)
Gosh, I can relate. I hate pictures and I am very unphotogenic. When I first got to goal, I had DH take pictures of me. I had bought a new camera for Christmas and was thrilled to see the pictures of my smaller self. I thought I looked like a freak. I literally asked the people closest to me about this. I think I look better in the mirror and not freakish. :lol: This "freakish" look doesn't have to do with weight, though, it has to do with how my face looks in most pictures. DH hates it when I take out the camera. He knows I'm getting ready to get upset. Also, I think and most people have said that I look smaller than my actual weight.

I flipping hate the camera and it hates me. I FORCED myself to take photos the last time down in the journey. I will not this time as I pretty much know how I'll look at each stage.

My husband said when we were dating - "You are the most beautiful girl, but you take terrible photos". And it's true. I think it's because I am not comfortable and don't look myself then.