Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-06-2015, 11:14 AM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default How articles of clothes sometimes tell the best story

When I'm going up in weight, I notice the slowly increasing tightness in clothes before I have to give in and go up a size. It's humiliating and defeating when you are out of control.

But the opposite happens too. I have this skort - with no stretch in it. When I bought it - it was SUPER TIGHT and not wearable as it gave me a huge muffin top.

Next time I wore it (a week ago) it fit slightly snug, but no muffin top.

Now, I tried it on and it fits fine - perfectly fine. So, while the scale may seem to be moving sufferably slow, things are happening and every few pounds do make a difference.

Of course, the paper towel effect is definitely happening as my 12 pound lost is not equating a size down at this weight as it would at a lower weight, but it still has an effect!!!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 248?/173/130

Height: 5'8"

I love fitting into smaller clothes. I hate having to buy them, especially when it's so expensive.

What is the paper towel effect?
Stripes 237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:26 AM   #3  
maintaining since 9/2013

Too true! Fit of clothes is what truly motivates me nowadays. I use the scale too, but it won't keep me on track. I just don't want to own a gazillion-sizes wardrobe, anymore. Thrift shops can have great things to wear that are easier on the wallet.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #4  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes 237 View Post
I love fitting into smaller clothes. I hate having to buy them, especially when it's so expensive.

What is the paper towel effect?
Here you go: http://www.leanbodiesconsulting.com/...towel-analogy/
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #5  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
Wow--great article. Thanks!
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:28 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 248?/173/130

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
That's very true and a good way of looking at it!

I really didn't notice much change at all for like the first fifty pounds, then saw some. Now, every 5-10 pounds is a noticeable change. Just like PT and TP.

I'm starting to list my clothes on eBay and when they sell, I can buy some used ones.

I hate parting with clothes I love. When my favorite pair of shorts sells, I may shed a tear when I hand them over to the post office. They've been discontinued. Can't get a smaller pair.

Losing my favorite clothes is the biggest drawback of weight loss. Aside from wrinkles showing up, it's the only drawback, I think.

Last edited by Stripes 237; 06-06-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Stripes 237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 05:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 235/ see tracker / 135

Height: 5'8

This post/thread made me go to my closet and try on things. Even though I still feel a little bloated today, clothes that were TIGHT 12-18 months ago (I stopped wearing them so they would have been tight 3 1/2 months ago too) fit. Some were LOOSE. I noticed on my sides that the fabric bunched. What a weird feeling. Part of it definitely feels good but the other part of me is embarrassed that it got to that point.
hepzibah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 299/159/129

Height: 5'1

Thanks for the paper towel analogy. Makes sense. Tuesday is my weigh in day and I'm hoping to make it to onderland.Pretty Please God. It has been so stressful this last month trying to make that goal, that I've decided once I do to only weigh in once a month and judge by clothes. I'm actually almost out of old smaller sizes and heading toward new clothes, new sizes that 1 haven't seen in decades. Only have 1 more smaller size than current - thinking around 70 pounds to go.
FairyGaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:43 PM   #9  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyGaia View Post
Thanks for the paper towel analogy. Makes sense. Tuesday is my weigh in day and I'm hoping to make it to onderland.Pretty Please God. It has been so stressful this last month trying to make that goal, that I've decided once I do to only weigh in once a month and judge by clothes. I'm actually almost out of old smaller sizes and heading toward new clothes, new sizes that 1 haven't seen in decades. Only have 1 more smaller size than current - thinking around 70 pounds to go.

Good luck on Tuesday; I so hope you reach onederland!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:55 AM   #10  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Re

That is true. In fact, I'm doing things s little differently this time. I'm using clothes to monitor my loss.
I have jeans from size 10 through 18 and in the 18s now.
I used to weigh ever day and sometimes it would just frustrate me to no end when the scale wouldn't budge.
We'll see how it goes.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote