Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 06:41 PM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #344

STEEL MAGNOLIAS #344

Good evening flowers! Another busy day for me. Faxed two more resumes though it probably won't do any good. I am beginning to think I am destined for unemployment! I did get the house all cleaned, sheets etc done so that is finished for the week and even got another book finished.

Jean: Are you looking forward to school starting again?

I know all the mamas are around here! Thomas starts back to mother's day out the end of this month I think, but only 2 days a week and only for 3 hours each day. Kelly has finished her training with International Paper so is working nights now so she is home with Thomas again. His other grandma will be back at school soon (teacher's aide for 25 years) so it will be just me to do the sitting if she needs one.

Maggie, Maggie, Maggie. 44% HUMIDITY? We have a whopping 90% most days and it has been so hot you could cook an egg on the sidewalk. I walked outside at 8:50 this morning to go to the pool and could hardly breathe the air was so warm. I don't expect it to cool off for another couple months.

Where are the lovely Bubs and Gloria these days? Not tripping the light fantastic are they?

I am on a new "natural" regimen for my menopause symptoms so will let you know how it goes. Progesterone cream twice a day, 4000 mg of flaxseed oil everyday, multi vitamin with magnesium and zinc, citrucel every morning. I never take this much meds! The flaxseed capsules are horse pills and you have to race the citrucel down so that it can't thicken up. So far the cream has caused no problems except trying to remember to rub it on my chest twice a day for 21 days then off 7. I made myself a little chart to X out each day so I won't forget or I surely will. I have to remember to drink more so the fiber doesn't cause problems but then all I do is go to the bathroom all the time and holding it for an hour in the pool is agony!

I am going to check out what's on the tube so I will wish you all good evening!

Faye
Old 08-07-2003, 12:37 AM   #2  
Thin Within

Default Humpday evening

Got a cute little gazibo made to day to go with the village houses. It really turned out better than I thought it might. The wire twister thing-a-ma-bob came yesterday that I ordered because the little posts called for twisted copper wire and I wanted it twisted evenly. How bout that Arnold S. running for governor in California. The one we have now is a shame for sure. Took office with a few buillon in the coffers and now we are in a worse deficite than the whole nation.

FAYE where you are is just too hot for me with all that humidity you get. I wilt. I commend you for going ahead and do your swimming exercises in that weather. I can imagine that you will find a job when it is most unexpected. Aren't you supposed to alternate where you rub that cream in each day such as chest, arms, legs, torso etc. Least wise that is what I was told but maybe things have changed since I was told that. It sure works for lots of folks and I hope it works for you.

JEAN just when do they put the fall clothes out so you can get your school clothes? We don't have much seasonal clothing out here since we have early summer, mid summer, summer, and late summer as our four seasons.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:45 AM   #3  

Just a quick peek in this morning!

Maggie: It doesn't say to change it up just to put it on pulse point areas like inner arms, chest etc.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day today!

I am going downstairs and spend a couple minutes with Jack before he goes off to the UMMMM you know what mines!

Faye
Old 08-07-2003, 10:13 AM   #4  

Good Morning!
It's a nice 70 degrees to start the day; I hope this weather is around when school starts!

"Gma" -- Good luck with the job resumes! Something will click for you, I just know it! How did you come up with what to take for your natural regimen? I would love to find something for hot flashes . . . I thought maybe I wouldn't get them after quitting the HRT but I was so wrong!

Maggie -- If you want to buy anything "summer" you need to do it before the end of June. There is lots of summer clothing left but not if you want to match tops and bottoms to make a complete outfit. Sweaters, jackets, and coats have been "out" at Younkers since the middle of July. On the other hand, the bathing suits usually show up around Christmas time. Weird! I just have a hard time thinking a season ahead of what we're currently in. I know just what you were talking about when you said "thing-a-ma-bob!"

I need to get busy! Have a terrific day!

Jean -- in Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 08-07-2003 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:16 PM   #5  
Web Nana

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Being away is wonderful but life is such that only 1 hour home and the laundry starts and you know your back!

What a trip! The party was at the lakeside home of the birthday boy and what a home! It was not hugh but very lovely with immense grounds and a sunken garden as well as an Orchard Conservatory. The decor was sort of medival looking with large heavy wooden tables, sideboards etc. but there was a very modern kitchen, baths and a much lighter decorated sunken livingroom. They have an apartment over the garage for the live-in college couple, he does the grounds and she helps with the housework.

As we got to the house there were about 10 young men acting as valets to park the cars and a 4 piece musical group entertaining the incoming guests. Later the foursome moved to a spot near some statuary where some of the guests proceeded to 'roast' the host. Young ladies passed appetizers to the guest on the lawn and there was a tent set up for the sit down buffet.
Salmon, cold shrimp, an onion tart, cheeses, roast beef on toast rounds and much more. After dinner there was a dessert table set up by the Conservatory for Strawberry Shortcakes and coffee.

An announcement was made that all the guests should move to the dock (a sloop, a speed boat and the yacht were tied up there) or to a spot near the edge of Lake Minnitonka as a barge pulled in opposite the house. At 9:45 a 20 minute fireworks display, with appropriate patriotic music, took place. Magnificant!

As the 280 guests were leaving, each couple received a living orchid plant. That's approximately 140 orchids. WOW!

On Sunday we(7 boyhood chums) returned for a 5 hour yacht ride around the lake. They radioed ahead and a golf cart was dockside at their club and we were treated to Sunday Brunch.

DH & I took in the Mall of America on Friday and Monday and thought it was wonderful. We did all 4 floors each day--4.5 miles. Camp Snoopy was amazing with all the rides...rollercoaster, ferris wheel and so many more. Didn't do much shopping as we would have had to transport it home and I was busy enough with my orchid plant in my arms on the flight home.

As you can tell I am still flying high dispite the fact that I have all the laundry & ironing done and put away... Now I just need to get my eating back to normal!

Your posts are all mixed up in my mind but I was happy to see that MAGGIE had a great loss. JEAN I feel for you getting ready for school while it is still Summer. FAYE I hope those resumes result in just the job you want. BUBBLES we miss you.

Gloria in MA...Think I will stay put for a while now.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:56 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Smile Weigh Day Report

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

I am please to announce once again that the Iron Monster was kind to me this day and showe me 2 POUNDS down this weigh day. Life is good.

JEAN that is just to wierd to buy a swimming suit when there is snow on the ground!

GLORIA what a wonderful sounding time you had. That dinner party turned out so well it was right from the movies. Glad you made it home safely.

Have a great afternoon everyone.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:23 PM   #7  

Gloria -- Welcome home! You were missed while you were away. I cannot imagine what it must be like to live so "fancy." It sounds like you had the most wonderful time! I'm glad, but then I knew you would!

Maggie -- Again, congrats on the 2# loss. You are back in the groove and doing super with your points!

Just peeking in to check email. See you later~~~~~~
Old 08-08-2003, 08:30 AM   #8  

Good Morning, Flowers!
I can't have anything to eat nor drink because I am going in for blood work in a couple hours so thought I would check email and visit with you all. My school physical was set for July, cancelled (and the doc was "in" because I called and checked!), rescheduled for Aug. 23rd, and cancelled again. I'm supposed to have the paperwork signed and back to the main office by Aug. 20th. Needless to say, I was not a happy camper when I returned the call yesterday. I've already done the mammogram and xray parts so that I wouldn't be doing that when school started. I wasn't very cordial to the receptionist and I suppose she thinks I am a real witch. She wanted to set another appt. for October and I said, "no, this is what we're going to do. I'll come in for the blood work and if he needs to visit with me, he can call me! I'm sure my bp will be sky high today because I'm still sizzling! She offered to let me talk to the clinic manager and my reply was that I would let the doctor himself know the next time I see him.

After that I'm going to get some Leonard food. I tried Petco and what he is eating is an exclusive for vets only . . . at $1.00 a 6oz. can, that is pricey when he eats one and a half cans a day! He's keeping it "down" and "in" so that is good.

Hope you all have a fantastic Friday and weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 08-09-2003, 02:13 AM   #9  
Thin Within

Smile Friday

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

I had a lovely day making another glass building. I made a General Store with an attached Barber Shop. For the barber pole I had previously purchased a 4 foot glass straw which I cut a half inch off. Cutting it was something else ~ glad I had some wierd cutters used for mosaic stuff.

JEAN how did your test turn out? Nothing strange in your blood was there I bet.

Have a wonderful weekend ladies.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:36 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
When I tried to post, just now, I had to enter my user name and password! It's a good thing I could remember since I don't use the same name on all of the boards!

We spent the better part of the morning and afternoon walking around old tractors, craft booths, and food stands. Now that I've been there and done that, I won't have to do it again for a very long time! The best part was that Ian was along and we did get to see some people that we know.

Maggie -- The doctor's nurse never called me back yesterday so I assume I will get a phone call on Monday or Tuesday. She can talk to the answering machine, I don't care. I was pleasantly surprised though, my blood pressure was the lowest it has been in years. I was almost afraid to have her take it! I quit taking HRT in January so I attribute it to that. Your latest glass creation sounds so clever! How big are they?

I need to get started on the laundry. Hope you all have a relaxing "rest of the day!"

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 08-10-2003, 06:39 PM   #11  

Hi everyone, can I be a Magnolia? I live in the old South, just south of Birmningham, AL and am new to SB. I did Atkins since Oct, 2002 until I became glucose intolerant, which means I would have probably been diabetic if I hadn't decided to go on Atkins. So SB is for me. I'm already off sugar, have lost 80# down from 340 to 260 and present goal is 65 more to 195, then we'll see. I'm 61, have degenerative arthritis of the spine and on disability both SS and LTD since 1999. Not much pain in the summer and I know -80 has helped in that regard but -145 will be so much better!!! I've cleaned out my kitchen, gone grocery shopping and 3 days into SB!! I'll check back tomorow since seems no one is online today...Sunday. Have a great evening...Kriket
Old 08-10-2003, 09:28 PM   #12  

Nice to meet you, Kriket, and welcome to the Steel Magnolia thread. Of course you may join us and be a flower! I am Jean and live in Iowa with my DH and three fur people. I work with special ed. students at the high school level; we start our workshop days next week. The summer has flown by much too quickly! We have an 8 month old grandson who is a joy to us. Grandchild #2 is expected to arrive tomorrow "sometime!" Our children live in an area a little over an hour away from us so we get to see them often.

Post often so that we may get to know you and you us. It has been quiet on the thread; I'm not sure just why.

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 08-11-2003, 08:16 AM   #13  

OK Fleurs,
YOu're making me feel guilty. I have been busy babysitting with one fastgrowing pup! She's a lot of work. My DS gets up with her during the night, but I get her while he's at work. She's getting so she doesn't like being crated...........perhaps b/c he lets her out and puts her on his bed if she fusses in the middle of the night! Mike will be gone for a week beginning Aug.14, to work at band camp.......he's one of the percussion instructors. I don't know what I'll do with the two of them for a week. "St. James" is getting feistier as she gets bigger and heavier.

I'm ashamed to say I haven't been OP in months, and have gained back almost 10 lbs. Now all my old camp buddies are here for Family Camp, so I'm playing with them and eating junk food.Hopefully, I'll get my head back on straight when the new WW program begins the end of the month.

Have to walk "St. James" before Mike leaves for work.

Gloria, your trip sounds incredible.........talk about learning how the other half lives! You must have felt like "Queen for a day" A camp friend has just returned from Jackson's Hole, WY. where they attended a family wedding. Someone flew 25 family members plus the minister and his wife from Norfolk, VA. She said it was a real experience!

Off to the park with Jimmie.
Love,
Bubbles
Old 08-11-2003, 01:29 PM   #14  

Hello everyone! Boy everybody is super busy, huh?

Kriket: Welcome to you and I am a transplanted southern and actually a born and bred YANKEE! EEK now that you are over the shock, . I am going to be 50 next month, been married 31 years, have a married daughter, a single son and an adorable grandson, Thomas who is 3 going on 30!

Bubs: Hi ya sweety. Sure have missed you so much! Sounds like the puppy has taken over pretty much, huh?

Maggie: Your little "houses" always sound so adorable.

Jean: I have yet to see a dr office that in my opinion is run properly. Everyone is pretty much hung out to dry if they call on the phone with ?'s etc. It is irritating to the max. Hope you hear something today and can get your work done for school.

Our pool still has the danger pool closed sign up. What's with that? I would like to know as the pool looks fine and I don't see any electrical fixtures out or anything like that. I was in the pool on Saturday and it was fine so it happened sometime Saturday as it was locked up tight early Sun morning and still is. Pool chemicals don't take two days to adjust themselves so there must be something in the water. I didn't exercise yesterday, because it was way to hot to go outside and walk by the time I figured out they weren't going to open the pool, but got out this AM and did almost 3 miles which is a new record for me! WOOHOO!

Nada in the paper again so I guess I will just have wait it out. Kelly suggested going to a temp agency, but I am not really interested in all that falderal with switching jobs etc so I will just hang in until something comes up.

You ladies all have a great day!

Faye
Old 08-12-2003, 12:06 AM   #15  

Default It's a girl!

Good Evening, Flowers!
I am on my way to bed but just had to share our news. Miss Madeline Margaret arrived this morning, 7 1b. 2oz., 19", a little dark "fuzz", 10 fingers, and 10 toes. Mom and baby are doing fine; we, as grandparents, think she is a keeper.

Bubbles -- It's nice to see you . . . we have missed you! I know you will get OP soon; it's so hard to be with friends and socialize when everything seems to involve or revolve around food.

"Gma" -- I thought sure I would have a message from the doctor's office when I got home today but there was nothing. Congrats on walking 3 miles!

I am going to bed! Have a terrific Tuesday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Closed Thread