Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #1  

Default Need to lose weight but nothing is happening!

I think I am doing everything right. I workout 3-4 days a week doing HIIT. I eat healthy, and even take supplements, but still no weight loss. I even cut out alcohol! I feel as if I was losing more weight when I was working out less and not watching what I ate. Am I doing something wrong??
mandykent111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 02:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 174/145.6/130-117

Height: 5feet1

It is possible to exercise and eat healthy and still not meet a caloric deficit. Remember it is all about calories in vs out so you are probably healthier, just not running a deficit. How long has it been? How many calories are you eating per day? How many are you burning? How tall are you and how much do you weigh? These are all factors. Try logging your food and exercise. Measure everything. Get a better idea of your caloric needs and what you are using (fat, sugar, protein, carbs, fibre etc) to meet those needs. Calculate your BMR (there are many online calculators) to find your resting burn, add your exercise, and eat less than that.

If you already know all this, I apologize. There are lots of things that stall weight loss, even when you are doing everything right. Water, sodium, TOM, underlying health problems, muscle gain, hormones, medication...

Maybe try taking measurements and see if there is a change in dependant of the scale. It is a very imperfect tool.
Fluffypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Portion control can be everything. There's not enough information in your post to really see where something may be holding you up. In addition to what Fluffypuppy has posed as questions, I'd ask when are you weighing, and is it at a consistent time? Also, how long have you been on plan, and what does a typical day look like?
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:17 PM   #4  
One Day at a Time!

I agree with suarie, portion control is everything. It really matters what you are eating. If your daily calories are on point but it's filled with fast food then you will not lose weight most likely. More info would be great so we can all help!
ryanbrowning115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:24 PM   #5  

Thank you everyone! Yes I was a bit vague. So to answer your questions:

1. 1200 calories per day
2. When I workout I typically burn around 500-700 calories
3. I started being strict Jan 1 (and this means no alcohol too)
4. I am 5'3 148
5.I weigh myself each morning right when I wake up
6. Typical day is a banana for breakfast, lunch is usually a turkey wrap that I make (lettuce, turkey, mustard, small tortilla and slice of cheese). Dinner is either lean red meat or grilled chicken with sautéed greens or asparagus and rice. For a snack I like rice pudding (100 cal).

I do track my foods and there are days that I don't even hit my 1200 calories.

Hope this can help get the conversation started on why I am not losing.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:42 PM   #6  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Height: 5'6"

U must hit 1200 To lose weight~ Not enough calories is very bad also. I count calories... Always be over 1200 When u eat & Make sure u count everything u eat veggies~ All drinks~ even if milk..Ect.
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:43 PM   #7  
NEVER GIVE UP

I think u don't have enough calories Is why u are stuck.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #8  
NEVER GIVE UP

Good Luck! U CAN DO THIS!
Old 01-27-2015, 11:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: s/c/g 174/168.6/150

Height: 5'8"

1200 doesn't seem to be enough. Try eating more for a couple days per week.
ThinHabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 08:30 AM   #10  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

mandykent111

The closer you are to a healthy weight, the slower it is to lose.

There is a forum on here called featherweights. They may be able to help you.

Last edited by Jasmine31; 01-28-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #11  

What is your current weight (you don't have to say here obviously), multiply that # by 10. That's your maintenance number. Subtract 500 calories from that number and reduce your daily intake. If you do that 7 days in a row, you'll lose 1 pound. 7 days with a calorie deficit of 500 = 3,500 calories which is equal to one pound.

Drink lots of water, limit salt as much as you can, check back in a week. You'll be down a pound almost guaranteed.
TheLastStraw323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:09 AM   #12  
Irish dance addict

S/C/G: 145/145.4/125

Height: 5' 3"

I'm a calorie counter about the same height and weight as you. I've been slow losing weight because I haven't been tracking my food strictly and overindulging (basically I didn't figure out maintenance), but I've had success in the past (145 lbs to 130 lbs). Here are some things I've learned that may help you too:

1) Do you measure your liquids and weigh your food? It is very easy to incorrectly estimate calories in your food if you don't weigh it. Using measuring cups isn't as accurate. For example, a serving size of peanut butter is usually labeled at 2 Tbsp/32 grams. If you weigh out those 32 grams, it's actually a bit smaller than if you used a tablespoon to measure. You can get a good food scale for your kitchen for about $15.

2) Do you eat back your exercise calories? Meaning your normal calorie goal is 1200, and if you burn 500 calories with exercise you eat 1700 for the day? If so, be wary of overestimating calorie burns with exercise. It is very easy to do. You might consider investing in a heart rate monitor, though this is only good for steady state cardio.

3) Your strict calorie counting started 1 Jan, did you increase the amount of exercise you did as well? Have your muscles been sore? When you exercise, you generally create small tears in your muscles that must be repaired. This is a good thing! This is how strength is increased and it results in calories burned even after you're done with your activity. However, when you first start a new program/increase intensity, this repair activity results in water and glycogen being stored in your muscles to work the repair process. You would then see little to no weight loss, or even a weight gain (I've gone up 2 lbs before the day after a good heavy lifting session). It's temporary, if you keep at it eventually you'll see a woosh of weight loss.

4) Your calories seem a bit low. This won't stop you from losing weight, but it will make your plan more difficult to stick with and the weight loss harder to maintain. I use a Total Daily Energy Expenditure method for my calorie goal. Using online calculators and personal experience, I tended to maintain on 1900 calories per day when my weekly exercise is taken into account. From there I took off about 15%, leaving me with a daily goal of 1600 calories. If I were carefully tracking my calories, I should lose about half a pound to a pound a week on that, which is plenty fast enough for as little as I have to lose.

So, to summarize:

1) Weigh your food.
2) If you eat back exercise calories, be careful as they are likely overestimated.
3) Be patient. Your body may be storing water due to your exercise increase. Weight loss is not linear, even though we'd like it to be.
4) Consider increasing your calorie intake. With as little as you have to lose, you likely shouldn't be eating only 1200 calories especially with how active you are.
atmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:21 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 244/ticker/130

Agreed with everything atmos has posted. Will add that if you're severely undereating then it will actually slow loss, and can sometimes slow it a lot. 1200 is usually the minimum for a sedentary lifestyle for women. When you add things like exercise, or a lot of regular movement to your day, then you really should be eating more.

It is easy to overestimate calories burned. I got a heart monitor to get a more accurate idea for me personally. 500-700 calories is a bit on the high side, unless you're doing the HIIT exercises for over an hour and a half or more.

I've got a bit more to lose than you, well a lot more actually, but adding strength exercises in seemed to help me out. I got stuck at the same weight for around a month right before Christmas hit (then gained with Christmas). I added strength exercises about a week or two ago and I slid past my previous stuck point without any trouble at all. So that's something to consider too.

Last edited by sunarie; 01-28-2015 at 06:21 PM.
sunarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #14  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandykent111 View Post
2. When I workout I typically burn around 500-700 calories.
^^This. Assume you're burning 200-250 calories in 40 minute HITT session and then recalculate your total caloric intake for the day.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:35 PM   #15  

I am so overwhelmed with joy that everyone is here to offer my their support and advice! I never thought that I would be consuming too little calories. I currently weigh 148 and do go to HIIT classes 3-4 days a week. I do not measure my food on a scale but I think it's time I get one. I know it has to be my diet that is stopping me for losing the last 15 pounds or so. So I will try to increase my calories and weigh all my food. I would like to have this weight gone by April!!