Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 05:37 PM   #1  

Default Over 50 And Being Healthy # 3.

[size=huge]Welcome to our little corner of the world.
You have found a wonderful, supportive group of people.
We like to keep an upbeat attitude; Try to find some humor in each day.
Focus on your plan. Be honest; Don't blame other people and other things when we hit a bump in the road; ... And we DO all hit them at some time.
Remember, you have the power to make things happen in your life, to make some changes. Remember also, "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten."
Please join us in our journey to weight loss and good health.[/size]

Last edited by willow_1; 07-31-2003 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:16 PM   #2  

Default GOOD AFTERNOON!!

Hi girls.
I worked a half day today, then ate a no-no lunch.
I did my 3-mile WATP tape this morning, and I'm gonna ride my exercise bike for a bit tonight. Probably 45 minutes.

I kept my appt. this afternoon, but almost didn't. All the way to the time I walked in that door, I was just not going to show up. But I kept telling myself I would still be sitting here in agony if I didn't at least TRY.
When the Dr. came into the room, we were both surprised, because she looked at me and said, "Hello!! I know you from Curves!" And sure enough! She goes to Curves too. I hadn't realized that she was a Dr when I saw her at Curves. I had seen her as a DR. a long time ago, but when I saw her at Curves, I knew she looked familiar, but couldn't recall where I had seen her before. I suppose I didn't recognize her out of her setting, the clinic. She is an associate of the Dr I usually see, but they suggested I see her for this particular problem, and am I ever glad I agreed to it. She talked with me about the whole situation for just shy of 90 minutes. It also included a bit about relatives.

Anyway, she said I'm definitely not lazy, and I'm very knowledgeable on nutrition, a good historian and keep good records or journals.
She said I don't fit the usual eating disorder patient, ... BUT, ... she said she thinks I may be on to something with the cycling. Even though I've only just begun to document when these binges hit me, she thinks we should follow through with a counselor and see where it takes us.
She gave me the name of one and I have an appt. the 5th of Aug.

She said there haven't been enough studies done for long enough periods of time on women like there have been on men, and there are so many variables with women that it's very difficult to do studies on us. But, there is evidence that we have continued cycling of some sorts after menopause. She said a woman she knows had awful migraines with her menses, and continues to have them at the normal time of her periods even after she had a complete hysterectomy.

Anyway, I'm glad now that I went. She wants to see me again in 4 to 6 weeks.

Charlotte, I'm sorry you didn't do as well at your weigh in today as you had hoped, but, maybe the fluid will leave the tissues in a day or so. Don't lose hope. You've been doing so awfully good all along.

Well, I'll be out of here now. I'll check back later.
Have a good evening.
Hello to Sheila, Sue and Puss too!
Old 07-31-2003, 11:27 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I'm so glad you went to your appointment. You learned some interesting stuff that I hope will help, and going to a counselor sounds like a great idea. That's interesting that you recognized the doctor from Curves.

Charlotte, I'm sorry about the weight, too, but it's a minor setback and we all have them. Just continue to do your best and good things will happen.

I made it through the "heat wave" and it was so much better today. I was just out picking up dog piles and almost felt like I needed a sweater--yeah! Tomorrow's high is supposed to be 72, which is just about perfect in my opinion.

Today we had a lot of airplane traffic over our house--we're not in the usual flight pattern for commercial jets so it was kind of weird. The last time we had air traffic like that was right about the start of the Iraqi war so it made me a bit nervous. Then I remembered the Blue Angels were in town so they must have rerouted the commercial traffic away from where the Blue Angels were "performing."

Spent a lot of time on the phone with the insurance company, did a little housework, lifted weights, did my stretching exercises, and actually cooked dinner because it was cool enough to cook. That pretty much sums up my day. Oh, yeah, I cleaned up dog vomit and clipped cat claws because one of the cats kept snagging my brand new size XL (instead of 3X and 2X) shirt with his claws as he laid on my tummy trolling for pets.

Hope everyone is having a good evening. My cable is out, but I like to read so that's okay.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:36 AM   #4  

Good Morning All! The rain is just coming down in buckets. Looks like a river going down the road. First of all, I want to say thank you for all the good words and support. Only someone who has "been there" knows what 3 lbs means after months of struggling. Started off the day with the WATP tape. I pushed myself to do the entire 4 miles. Willow, you have inspired me.

Angel, don't feel bad - into every life a little cake must fall If we don't give in to a treat every now and then, the binge monster may come out of the closet. If I have a half gallon of ice cream in the freezer, I will have some every night until it is gone. Soooooooo, when I really want some ice cream, I will buy a small cone at the store about a half mile from here. Better once a week than every day. The same with cookies or chips. I have no self-control. Or maybe I need some Won't Power. I WON'T eat those cookies, I WON'T eat those chips. I wonder if those are computer chips in that cookie. By the way, thank you for my favorite cat, Garfield. That one on the scale is really cute.

Sheila, glad to hear the heat wave is over for now. We had a week and a half of that earlier this summer. A smaller shirt isn't that the greatest feeling! One of my goals is a shirt tucked into my slacks WITH A BELT.

Willow, I am so glad to see that you put yourself at the top of the importance list Sometimes just talking to someone puts things in a new perspective. We wish you the best.

Hello to Puss. Hope all is going well for you.

Off to the shower and to work. Two more weeks to go till vacation. WHEW, do I need it this year. Will check in later, Sue.
Old 08-01-2003, 02:16 PM   #5  

Had my weigh-in this morning and I'm down another pound for a total of 49 gone. I'm hoping to join the 50 lb. club next week.

Rain? What's that, Sue? I haven't seen any since, well, I'm not sure how long. And I live in what everyone considers the wettest city in the U.S. I shouldn't jinx it because now we'll have 3 straight months of rain starting in November. Good for you for doing four miles--that's incredible! I know what you mean about having the ice cream in the freezer. I obsess about it if I have that kind of stuff there, even sorbet.

Having a birthday celebration for my DH today. Although his birthday was yesterday, we waited until today because I wanted to have some birthday cake. I don't believe in depriving myself! But I didn't want to do it right before I weighed in. If I'm going off my program, it's going to be on Friday only after weigh-in--that's my rule.

A nice cool day that started out cloudy (which is fine with me!), but the sun is out now, although it's still supposed to stay in the lower 70s, thank goodness.

Talked to a friend back in Boise where I used to live. A mutual friend went in for a simple one day surgery (a cyst on her ovary, I believe), and after one day home, ended up in ICU. The surgeon nicked her bowel in a couple of different places, which is really dangerous. She's out of ICU now, but still not out of the woods. The woman is an attorney, and so is her father. If a surgeon is going to mess up, s/he really shouldn't mess up on an attorney!

Hope everyone is having a great day! I think I'm up for some weeding since it's nice and cool out.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:05 PM   #6  

I got lost, wasn't looking where I was going and only after posting did I see Willow's instructions. Here again anyway if I managed to copy correctly...

Fatpuss

Hi Ladies - just a quickie, yes you probably guessed rightly, my life is once more upside down by a mother behaving badly. To keep it short, I've hardly been off the phone both at home and at work because she has been manipulating everyone to get out of the unit and come down to stay with me. I really have had it. Her psychiatrist rang yesterday and he is well on to her - says we have to make her enpower herself and he is loathe to readmit her again and said he hasn't discussed the overdose with her because it was nominal only and to make a big deal of it would be like giving attention to a kid up throws tantrums at the supermarket ie will do it all the more if they think everyone is going to jump each time its mentioned. She has been so sly and devious about getting her own way in the unit and because she is not sectioned they can't force her to stay and in any case, they say this cycle over the last 18 months has been her in and out all the time and they are tired of it because she refuses all their efforts to help keep her well on the outside of the unit like attending therapy or day centre etc. Yesterday I wanted to kill her. I have arranged her train journey tomorrow (brother will put her on it and I will be there to meet her) and she is on top of the world like a little brat who is pulling all the strings. I feel crushed. I did tell her though that I have come to the end of my tether now and when she comes I will not have her talking the same old stuff about minor ailments, how rubbish the staff at the unit are, how rubbish the medication is etc etc. I told her I don't want to hear any of it and if she starts weeping and wailing like Lady MacBeth she can do it in her room because 18 months of trying to assuage her fears hasnt made an iota of difference. She agreed - but right now she is agreeing to everything to get her own way. Her psychiatrist really has a handle on her and knows what she is like which is a great comfort. She is still abusing my brother - called him stupid today for something he wasn't being stupid about at all and I laid into her and said he must be stupid visiting
every day an ungrateful 70 year old who keeps rubbishing us and everyone else. This is not mental illness, this is what she has always been like and its hard taking it especially knowing she is manipulating us. Sorry this is so miserable but I don't want you to think I can't be bothered to post if I don't get the chance or feel too drained to contribute. Talk about comfort eating - last two days have been like a feeding frenzy, curry, rice and fried potatoes from the chinese takeaway, frozen yoghurt, etc etc. Well done Sue on the 3lb loss, nice one! Hope this doesn't sound too self-pitying - there just seems no end to this at all and it is affecting us all, even the grandkids and our work. Hope to be a bit more cheery tomorrow if I can make it .

Report this post
Old 08-01-2003, 10:28 PM   #7  

Fatpuss.....I am SOOO sorry you are going through all of this! Don't worry about when you can post...just do what you can. Also, feel free to say what you need to vent & get it out!! Lord....I'd be screaming by now!! I don't know how you're taking all of this! You must be a stronger person than you think you are. Are you going to let her live with you? You'll be lucky not to end up in a ward yourself! Know that I'm thinking of you.....

Sheila..... So happy for you on your weightloss! Little by little...bit by bit!! Glad the weather is a little better for you.

Sue.....Sounds like you're really motivated! Good for you! Just don't get too excited & push yourself too hard. Hey, if you want Garfield, just take him! I don't mind at all. I've got a few you might like....

Willow....You know, the thing about the cycle sounds familiar. I don't remember where I read about it, but I know I have. I also, know of several who get cravings every 3-4 weeks...could be on to something. I'm alright about my weight this week....my legs & feet are still swollen...so I know it's fluid. I got some fuid pills today, maybe that will help.

I'll check in later....all have a good evening.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:29 AM   #8  

Oh, Puss, I'm so sorry! I hate that your mom is causing you so much stress--it's supposed to be the other way around! Please stick to your guns and make sure she follows all the rules. Don't let her engage you or emotionally blackmail you. Easier said than done, right? Don't worry about overeating--that will stress you out more. Just take good care of yourself and do whatever you have to do to get through her visit. Please don't worry about being cheery. I'm sure you don't feel cheery and that's okay. Please feel free to post whatever you're feeling--we're all here to help you through this, right, ladies?

Willow, what's up with you today? Hopefully we'll be hearing from you tomorrow.

My friend with the nicked bowel isn't doing too well. I'm praying that she makes it through this. She's young and healthy, and she just cannot die. If you can spare a prayer for her, I'd appreciate it.

Had my DH's birthday celebration. For his birthday, I printed out a photo of a cute guy in a workshirt and put it in an envelope. My DH didn't know what to make of it and gave me the weirdest look (maybe he thought I was suggesting a threesome??). The photo was supposed to represent the guy I've hired to build the garden steps so my DH won't have to. He was quite excited when I told him that!! Having somebody do that and having my son fly over to paint the house is a load off my DH's mind. He's going to be gone for two weeks in August and one week in September so he wasn't sure how he was going to fit all that in. He's your typical weekend warrior, and ends up hurting himself.

Well, TGIF. I don't work, and I still think that! I'm so glad the weather has cooled down enough to work in the yard comfortably.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:00 AM   #9  
lulu

Hellow ,I'm Cathy and new to this email dialogue thing...I am trying to loose some weight but I need someone to encourage me. It seems as if someof the chat you all exchanged was very interesting to me. My mom can be a large burden too. I live alone except with my cat buddy who is so cute. I am only 5 days into the weight watcher's program and hoping to be strong enough to continue in a dedicated fashion. Any input would be helpful Thanks Cathy
Old 08-02-2003, 12:44 PM   #10  

Default HI!!! AND WELCOME!!!

Hello Cathy, welcome to our group. We are so delighted to have you. The more participating in the group, the better, I say! More ideas to toss around and more sources of support when things hit a snag.
You'll get lots of encouragement here, that's for sure. These ladies are awesome.

Congratulations on your decision to join Weight Watchers. You've already taken a giant step in your journey to good health.
I don't know how much weight you want to lose, but I guess it doesn't really matter the amount, it's a positive thing that you have started doing something about your health.
I look at it like we evidently have set our health as our top priority, and now we just have to stay with it until we achieve our goal. And, speaking for myself, I know that will be a lifetime commitment, not just until I reach a certain weight in pounds.

As you've probably seen if you've read the back threads, I've been having a devil of a time getting any weight off AND KEEPING IT OFF. I've tried just about every method I can think of, and I know what good nutrition is, and I've tried my darndest to try to find some sort of support group in the city I live in, but all to no avail.
All the usual thoughts have gone through my mind hundreds of times; ie; I'm just a glutton, I'm lazy, I have a thyroid problem(which I do, but the medication is at a healthy level in my blood), I'm at the age where I CAN'T lose weight anymore, .......... The whole gamut of thoughts that everyone has. Then I thought I may have some kind of regularity to these binges or cravings that may tell a Dr. something about my predicament. I finally thought I probably need someone with more knowledge about this than I have, so I made an appt. with a family practice DR. and told her my whole history, and she is very supportive and understanding, and FINALLY!! I have someone who is going to do something about this. She has referred me to a counselor, and among other things, she thinks I may be on to something with the cycling thing, even though I'm in menopause for about 8 to 10 years now.
I've asked other Drs. about help with my weight problem, and they say you can lose weight if you really want to.
Well, believe me, if I could , I'd sure get this 100+ pounds off that I have gained in the past 10 years.
I know the road is going to be rough a lot of times, but, I just CAN'T let up or quit trying.

OK, enough about me already. It sounds like you may have some circumstances similar to Puss'. See? you've already got something else in common with someone here. It's nice to have a place to come to and write about what's going on in our lives and have someone who understands.
I don't know what your age is, but if it's around the rest of our ages, I think it's a difficult time in a womans life. There's lots of emotional things going on in us that we don't always understand.
And if you're not around our ages, that doesn't mean that you don't have just as important and difficult issues as the rest of us, I sure don't want to imply that!

I think you and I are the only two who live alone, and at least you have your cat. I want another dog so bad, but will wait till I retire so I can spend enough time with it.
Pets are a lot of work and responsibility.

I guess I better say hello to all the rest of the girls too.
Puss, I'm so sorry to hear of the set back with your Mother. I know you love her dearly, but, don't let this disrupt your life unduly. Not to tell you what to do or anything like that, but I would make it very clear to her that if she wants to be in your home, then she find something to do to entertain herself. You can't be expected to change your happy life to suit someone else.
Does your town or city have a widows and widowers group that she could get involved with? We have one in our city that meets for breakfast at different places, goes to museums and places of interest that don't cost a lot of money, and to see plays etc. She might find some women to chum with in a group like that. And if they don't have one, maybe she could look into starting one. There is also what is called a senior citizens center here where there are all kinds of activities going on every day. There are cards, shuffle board, painting, dancing, computer classes by college students who volunteer to teach these senior citizens, all kinds of stuff, plus they serve a lunch every day for a very low price.
Like Sheila and Charlotte said, and I'm sure Sue will echo it same as I am, Just take care of yourself and post when you can, and say whatever you need to to get the pressure off. We understand.

Sheila, well, you just go girl! ANOTHER POUND GONE! I just clapped my hands when I read that! You must be just floating on a cloud! I am truly happy for you, and SO VERY proud of you, as you should be of yourself! Congratulations!

So sorry to hear that your friend with the surgical mishap isn't doing well. I will pray harder for her recovery. Have they had a gastroenterologist or gastro surgeon look at her? Have the "nicks" been repaired? If the contents of the bowel get into the abdominal cavity, that is extremely dangerous, and it sounds like that is just what has happened. I pray for her.

Well, what a nice birthday present for your hubby! Where is your son flying over from?

Glad your weather has improved.

Charlotte, I'm glad you got a diuretic for the fluid in your tissues. It's just not good for a persons blood pressure, heart, kidneys, .... everything.
I wish you could remember where you read the info about the cycling and cravings every several weeks because that's just what I do. I crave carbohydrates mostly, but have a gargantuan appetite for just about anything when these times hit.
Well, if I can get to the bottom of this, maybe I'll start to get a social life too.

Sue, glad I inspired you to start using the WATP tapes. Aren't they awesome? I love them. I need to get the 4-mile one though. I think she has a 5-mile one too, or will shortly.? I thought I heard or read that someplace.

Did I tell you gals about the ZCOIL SHOES? I sent an email to the closest dealer to me, and received an answer that has me even more intrigued, so I think I'm going to make a trip up there to have a look-see sometime in the next month or so. It's in a big city and I won't drive there alone because I get too nervous, so I'm going to have to find someone to drive me up there. I am desperate to find something to take the pain away a little in my hip when I walk on cement. Everything about these shoes makes sense to me so far.
When I sent the e-mail, I told them that my feet are wide, that I am very obese and that my foot turns in, and they said all those things can be addressed when they fit me for the shoes.

If any of you have a problem with joint or back pain when walking, you might want to check these out.
http://www.zcoil.com/zstyles.cfm

I have found someone to help me clean out my attic too. A woman I work with has a couple of teenage sons and they said they would like the job. So, I'm going to be doing that one of these weekends soon too. I don't want them going up and down those steep steps though, so I'm going to drop the stuff down from upstairs and they will take it outside for me.

Well, I have to get moving here. Did you gals hear about this? I'm going to be watching it every night that I can. I'll probably fall asleep on the couch and have to catch it in 60,000 years!

"The Red Planet is about to be spectacular! This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars
may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the Last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10p.m. and reach its azimuth at
about 3 a.m. By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30a.m. That's pretty convenient to see something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month. Share this with your children and grandchildren. NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN. "

Last edited by willow_1; 08-02-2003 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:45 PM   #11  

Welcome...Cathy!!!! We'd be glad for you to join us! We're here to encourage & be encouraged. I say....drink a LOT of water! If you're able...exercise.... Get plenty of sleep... & post a lot!!! Anyway...we can help, let us know.

Willow....I hope the councelor can help you. It seems to really have you frustrated. I understand....I get frustrated if I go one week(which happens too often!) without at least losing 1 lb. How's the situation with your kids?

Sheila....I WILL be praying for your friend. I know drs can make mistakes, like anyone. It does seem, though, like a lot of it is happening these days. I'm glad the weather is better for you, now. Have a good weekend.

Fatpuss....I'm thinking about you. Take care.

Everyone have a good Sunday.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:27 AM   #12  

Good Morning Everyone! Rain for Sale - Real Cheap! Bring your own container. Looks like more of the same for most of the week.

Welcome aboard Cathy. Don't be afraid to speak up with any problem or concern you may have. We're all here to listen, chat, support, brag or whine. No one is going to get upset, belittle or yell at anyone. If we don't know the answers, we will make something up! I am just kidding, we like to laugh a lot too. And where else would you find the special effects that we get here, thanks to our very own Angel. Come back often.

Puss, you certainly are getting dealt a hand with no Aces. I don't remember reading in any of the back posts, but do you have any other brothers or sisters that could share the load?

Sheila, that is fantastic! I hope you have a treat in store when you hit the 50 pound mark, and I don't mean a hot- fudge sundae. I am still scratching and clawing my way to the 20 lb mark and I have my eye on a nice pair of gold earrings! Way to go girl

Willow, I have marked my calendar. We will be at the lake toward the end of the month and I can't wait to show my grandchildren the red planet. They will be able to tell THEIR grandchildren. Once the lights go out up there, it is pitch black, so it should be fantastic to see. I checked out the zcoils. Quite an interesting concept.

Angel, I am going to see if I can "lift" that little teddybear with the kitten on his lap and see if I can e-mail it to my granddaughter. She would just love it. I used to have a picture of Garfield taped to the wall over my scale. He was holding his fat belly over to the side so he could see the numbers on the scale. It was quite funny. You always have the right images to lift out spirits. One who brings so much joy to others, cannot help but bring joy to herself. I would like to lose at least a pound a week too, but we are in the same boat, that rarely happens. Hope you are feeling better this week.

Guess I will get some indoor work done today. Time to give the house a real good "spring" cleaning. Better late than never. There are several different kinds of clean when company is coming: Mother clean, Mother-in-Law clean, Sister/brother clean, and "Grab a cup of coffee, move the cat off the chair, and tell me how you've been my friend" clean. Have a great day all - Sue.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:03 AM   #13  

Default Good morning!

Sue, I hate to say it, but, we could use some of that rain here. We haven't had much and my lawn is starting to look like a field of shredded wheat again. It looks as though it's going to do just that too. Cloudy and cool out there. Only 70 degrees right now.

I sure envy you that trip to the lake. It reminds me of where I grew up, ... far from lights and traffic and pitch dark at night. I used to love laying on a blanket on the grass at night and staring up at the stars, and pretty soon it seemed as though you were floating up in the air among the stars.

I love your different kinds of clean. I think my favorite is the "grab a cup of coffee....." clean.

I'm doing laundry today, and other than that, I'm not sure. I only slept about 3 1/2 hours this morning. I didn't get in until about 2:30 and then went to bed about 3 and was awake again by 6 AM. Maybe I'll take a short cat nap later if I get too sleepy.

Everybody have a wonderful Sunday!
Old 08-03-2003, 06:46 PM   #14  

Hi Everybody....been a long day. Went to church...welcomed new Pastor. Went to another church to eat dinner & attend singing. Just really too tired, but I had promised to sing a couple for them. I'm glad we don't have service tonight....strength is gone. I hope my Remicade isn't wearing off already. The last couple of days, I've been really fatigued. I've got 3 more weeks until a treatment. I've been doing well. Maybe it's just a couple of bad days.

Willow....I know you're going to get the help you need with the counselor. You're very determined & dedicated to losing your weight. We're all pulling for you!

Sue....I went back & checked the bear....you should be able to save it to your documents or pictures files & email it. If you have any problems, let me know. I can just email it to you...if nothing else. Any time you want something...just take it...I don't mind. Thanks for all your compliments you give to my images. It's not hard....really just fun. I enjoy making my friends smile, also! Oh....& you can send Willow the rain...we've got quite enough!!

Sheila....hope your friend is better. I'm still praying for her.

Fatpuss.....Thinking about you!

I'll check in later.
Old 08-04-2003, 05:25 AM   #15  

Default Good morning!

I don't have a whole lot to report in with. I lead such a dull life.
I babysat 3 of my oldest sons kids for a while early Sat. then went over to some friends' until about 2:30 AM.
I did laundry yesterday and sat and read the rest of the time.
I set my alarm for 3:30 to get up and exercise this morning, but, I just do NOT want to get started. What the hey is wrong with me?

Maybe I'll feel more alive after my shower. Back to work today. Ick!

Everybody have a good day! See ya later!
Closed Thread