Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5ft3 ish

Default Holiday starting tomorrow

I'm going on holiday tomorrow back to see family in the states. They haven't seen my 40+ weight loss yet and have to say! I can't wait to see what they say. Anyway, I'm really really nervous going too. I'm a "creature of habit" kinda girl. And I was liking my work day ending with a run. And finding those foods that helped me stay accountable. I'm worried that all the familiars , food and habit, will come back to haunt me. I know it's all about choice and I'm realistic about the consequences I haven't been home in 3 years and I miss soooo many things. Friends and family, familiar spots, the lobster roast beef and restaurants. I don't want to undo the hard work and progress but I don't want to skimp on a holiday. My hubby and I work very hard and have extremely high stress jobs. I want to unwind, let my hair down but not come home with a major (or any kind of ) gain. Please, I need some kind words, gentle persuasion and honest advice. We won't be able to do this financially foe another couple of years. How do I make this a great trip with my homegrown foods and keep my sanity?? Thoughts?
cheddahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:01 PM   #2  

You miss home, and of course the foods that in your mind are part of that. But they're just food. I'm not saying you shouldn't have them at all, but this is a great time to reinforce your new eating and exercise habits and associate those with home too. Wouldn't it be nice, after your trip, to be out running and look back and remember that great run you had while you were home? To remember some great healthy food you discovered while eating out with your family?

It's not "skimping" to be really good to yourself and do what will make you happy for longer than a week. And it's not "indulging" yourself to overeat or eat what you'll be sorry you're now carrying around with you.

Have a wonderful trip and great holiday!
KarenMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I totally understand what you are going through. I've been maintaining a 40+ pound loss for over a year and just got home tonight from a 3-week trip. I had the same worries before leaving. My strategy was to relax and enjoy my trip. Input I got from some long-time maintainers was to enjoy with moderation and know that slight blips are normal. I'm 4 pounds heavier than where I typically like to be, but I've just weighed myself at the end of the day. I suspect a portion of the gain is water weight and that the loss will go away relatively quickly once I get back into my normal routine. Just to be safe, I plan to do some calorie counting for a few weeks until I am completely back to normal. I'll never regret enjoying my trip and loosening up a bit.
Moving Forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:01 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Enjoy your trip and try not to worry. Food is a tremendous source of pleasure, especially when it connects us to out roots. If you deny yourself the foods you want to eat you run the chance of a major slip up because restriction usually does lead to a food rebellion.

Let the food be part of your experience. Eat moderately and stop when you are full. I'm on an extended trip to visit my hometown right now. I have indulged in all my childhood favorites and then some! I eat when I'm hungry and I stop when I'm full. I continue my very enjoyable exercise routine. I don't weigh myself (no way I'm getting on a scale during my vacation!!) but I'm certain I've lost weight... it's either that or my clothes have suddenly grown lol.

Enjoy your trip! And let go of the guilt. There's nothing more fattening that guilt.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #5  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenMI View Post
You miss home, and of course the foods that in your mind are part of that. But they're just food. I'm not saying you shouldn't have them at all, but this is a great time to reinforce your new eating and exercise habits and associate those with home too. Wouldn't it be nice, after your trip, to be out running and look back and remember that great run you had while you were home? To remember some great healthy food you discovered while eating out with your family?

It's not "skimping" to be really good to yourself and do what will make you happy for longer than a week. And it's not "indulging" yourself to overeat or eat what you'll be sorry you're now carrying around with you.

Have a wonderful trip and great holiday!
I think Karen said it best. Your vacation isn't about food. It's about people. Food is energy, nothing more. Don't go nuts because you're on vacation. This is a good way to exercise your new lifestyle in a place you don't visit often.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:35 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
Enjoy your trip and try not to worry. Food is a tremendous source of pleasure, especially when it connects us to out roots. If you deny yourself the foods you want to eat you run the chance of a major slip up because restriction usually does lead to a food rebellion.
I agree with what Wannabeskinny said above in red. I also think that we don't have to get stuck in the moment. Sometimes we "want" on autopilot and just because of an old, outdated memory. Nostalgia brings warm feelings, but we don't have to get stuck there. I like to ask myself "do I really want this?" or "do I want to want it?" I realize that it's just food, and I'm denying myself zero by having something different, or I'm denying myself what I really want (fitness) by continuing to reinforce the delusion that this particular food somehow adds to my life.

But it takes a while to sort through this thinking, and kindness and patience with ourselves as we move toward "naturally fit" means we'll eat a lot of things that, in retrospect, weren't worth it and weren't even what we really wanted. Just don't get stuck in "it's a treat" and "if I don't have it, I'm denying myself." Taking away the nostalgia, is it really what YOU want NOW?
KarenMI is offline   Reply With Quote