Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 231.2/210.7/187

Height: 5ft8

i live in South Africa,

highest rape and murder capital in the world. we never go out after dark even in groups so it malls and gyms for us. i suppose we have adapted but it still sucks. driving alone as a woman in a car is dreadfully unsafe here.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #32  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Sorry to hear you've been mugged but lets fact it if it has happened to you three times you don't live in a safe area.

Since we're using anecdotal evidence I'll share that no females in my family nor that I personally know have ever been assaulted, raped or otherwise molested.

Obviously crimes happen every day but that doesn't change anything I've said. Most women are going to be perfectly safe running outside after dark.
3 different AREAS. 1 in a different state. So thanks for knowing about where these things happen.

Also, most women that I know, don't tell the men in their lives, especially ones they aren't close with, about their problems because we get THIS type of disbelief and judgement. Most the women in my life didn't open up about their attacks to me until after I was raped.

My father didn't even know my mother was sexually abused by her grandfather until she told ME about it.

You're serious lack of understanding is a problem, and why so many women don't come forward with their attackers.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #33  
Getting my life back

S/C/G: 192.2/ticker/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkrid View Post
Holy Crap, kuristaru I'm so sorry you've gone through all that!

Yeah, sometimes being a woman is no fun, and trust me, guys, ALL us women have stories. Don't try to dismiss or reduce what is happening out there ~ even in your own "safe" neighborhood ~ as a fluke.

Please.
Thank you Inkrid Luckily it's calmed down since I've gotten fat, but people still make me very uncomfortable in certain situations. It's also not just rape while I'm jogging I'm worried about. It's just the general discomfort and fear.
Old 08-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #34  

Height: 5'5"

Just to add my voice - I do frequently run at night, and I very much enjoy it. However, I have been targeted on three different occasions, also, interestingly, in three different states, by groups of men in vehicles that have started following me. Once was a group of high school football players. Since I was on foot, I had the advantage of being able to go through yards and sort of "disappear" for a bit. Only one of these times was the group of men interested enough in me that they did a street-by-street sweep (in a loud vehicle on deserted streets) to find me again, and it was at that point I called my husband to come pick me up. I still run at night, and I am one of the minority of women who can still (thankfully) say she has never been sexually assaulted, but I never question anyone who tells me she doesn't feel safe running at night.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:28 PM   #35  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurisitaru View Post

most women that I know, don't tell the men in their lives, especially ones they aren't close with, about their problems because we get THIS type of disbelief and judgement. Most the women in my life didn't open up about their attacks to me until after I was raped.

My father didn't even know my mother was sexually abused by her grandfather until she told ME about it.

You're serious lack of understanding is a problem, and why so many women don't come forward with their attackers.
It sounds like a vicious circle. If women don't tell men about their experiences, its hard for us to understand there is a problem. I am shocked about what I am reading in this thread.

Last edited by joefla70; 08-08-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:39 PM   #36  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Well, I did run last night. First at a hash run and then home with a headlight in the dark.

Down 0.6lbs today.

Here's a pic of me at the hash run with my new friend Danny.

He's pushing my head. Probably for raising this topic....

Last edited by IanG; 08-08-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Closed Thread