3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Heartburn? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/298166-heartburn.html)

LuLu22 07-28-2014 12:53 AM

Heartburn?

:val1::val1:Ok so for awhile now I have been having heartburn like once a day at least. Today I decided I do not want to deal with it anymore and looked it up and stuff. Apparently being overweight increases heartburn? I definitely did not know that. I guess just another reason I need to lose weight. I fell off the wagon again but I am seriously so sick of this and it is going to change. <3:flame:

nelie 07-28-2014 07:08 AM

I've never had heartburn myself but there are a few things that can cause it. If you keep a food diary, you might want to see if you see a pattern with foods and your heart burn.

lucindaarrowspark 07-28-2014 07:19 AM

I had terrible heart burn and then I lost weight and stopped nightime over eating! For me being overweight was the cause of my heartburn. My dh on the other hand who is thin also gets heartburn but his is due to a weak sphincter.

nonameslob 07-28-2014 09:07 AM

I used to get heartburn on occasion. I'm *pretty sure* (not 100%) that fasting (I do 5:2, a form of intermittent fasting) has nearly eliminated it for me...it's awesome!

Not saying that's what you should do lol but there may be ways you can change your diet to combat it. It's so annoying to have that awful burning feeling when you're trying to sleep!

gailr42 07-28-2014 10:20 AM

What Lucindaarowwspark said.

LuLu22 07-28-2014 12:35 PM

Ok good! not good, but good as in I'm glad I am not the only one lol

curvynotlumpy 07-28-2014 01:17 PM

As others have mentioned, heartburn can be the result of other things, but being overweight was the culprit for me. My highest weight was 220 lbs. Once I started eating better and exercising the heartburn diminished pretty quickly. I don't think I had lost more than 10-15 pounds before it was gone

kurisitaru 07-28-2014 02:53 PM

My heartburn has gotten worse with weight gain, but it's always been bad. If it is pretty bad and happens once a day, I recommend seeing a doctor.

My sister had heart burn and found out she had 7 bleeding ulcers in her stomach. That's insanely dangerous.

My heartburn is still being looked into. They've ruled out a bacteria that is easy to get and is the cause of some people's heart burn (the test for it sucks!) You would simply take an antibiotic to kill it and then no more heart burn. I wasn't that lucky.

Now the theory is my gallbladder, which can cause issues as well, and can be dangerous. I'm in a weird limbo with insurance as one is set to expire and my full time work commences after it expires and I'll have to get enrolled then. So, I'm waiting for the new insurance to take effect to get an ultrasound done.

I was placed on a prescription for mornings and one for night. And when it's really bad I was given one that melts under your tongue (as tumms and other methods were not working). I was given the prescription because it's cheaper than over the counter, but they do have over the counter.

Nexium is the over the counter, or prevacid. But basically, you want to look for "omeprazole" for the morning and "Ranitidine" for the evening. Since taking them, my heart burn has backed off a bit. It's weird how not having it as often changes things.

I should also mention that my heart burn has caused vomiting. But if it's bad enough, see a doctor, it can be a dangerous thing. My doctor did mention weight gain can cause heartburn, as does stress and various other things. But when we have it frequently and severely it's not safe to let it "ride" out for weight loss. So even if it's not a gallbladder for me, I need to treat it so as I don't have ulcers form.

Mrs Snark 07-29-2014 11:49 AM

I had terrible, terrible heartburn for years.

There can be many causes of heartburn, so if dietary and other changes doesn't make yours stop, definitely visit your doctor. Turned out I had a huge hiatal hernia and my esophagus was extremely ulcerated. I had surgery to correct the hernia and to fix the join between my esophagus and my stomach. I've never experienced heartburn since then.

LuLu22 07-31-2014 01:58 PM

oh wow ok. I don't usually have heartburn but ive noticed its usually when I eat something chocolate or drink pop or just eat crappy so hopefully it will go away

MauiKai 07-31-2014 02:14 PM

Soda, chocolate, onions, tomatoes, minty things, alcohol, being fat, stress, eating too late at night/too close to bedtime are all things that can cause heartburn. It stinks!

Stanski 08-01-2014 09:37 PM

I got diagnosed with a hiatal hernia a year ago, after years of heartburn. I'm hoping with the weight loss the heartburn will get better, (went from 5 Zantack a day to 2, in just 3 weeks) but I also think I have to look into surgery....getting old isn't fun. LOL

levoguette 08-01-2014 10:02 PM

I'm not sure if I would agree that being overweight causes heartburn, so much as having an unhealthy diet causes heartburn.

For me, I noticed that my heartburn went away very quickly once I started eating healthier. My triggers are fried food and anything with tomato sauce. I also stopped drinking milk (I still eat dairy though), and I believe that's connected to heartburn as well.

I would just clean up your diet, and if you still have problems check with your doctor.
I know as soon as I eat tomato sauce or something fried I have heartburn almost instantly.

Good luck!

MauiKai 08-02-2014 09:14 AM

Being overweight is a well known cause of heartburn. The excess fat creates pressure on the internal organs and can force acid back up through the sphincter, especially when laying down, there by creating heartburn.

Ariel13 08-04-2014 04:00 AM

I too started to have heartburn on a daily basis, but it started happening to me when I gained more weight, and also quit smoking ( I read that heartburn is a common side effect when quitting) and I also was having a bit of difficulty breathing... I began to cut down on certain foods, and started drinking water, and even though I haven't started my diet to lose weight, my heartburns are not as often as before. Definitely cutting down on spices, greasy, acid foods and drinking water has helped to relieve some of the heartburn...but yes, if after losing about 30lbs I still have the heartburn, then I will get it checked out.