3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   One meal a day, anyone? Experience? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/297853-one-meal-day-anyone-experience.html)

Angelique32 07-16-2014 08:46 AM

One meal a day, anyone? Experience?

Hi Guys,

I started the one meal a day plan. Dont know if its working as yet, cause i dont dare to weigh myself. But i do feel pretty good. Not low on energy or anything.

I never used to eat breakfast when i was younger, but then started a couple years ago, after reading that its the best thing for youre metabolism ect. ect.

What i noticed is that when i do eat breakfast, im thinking about food the entire day, let alone wanting to eat the whole day.

Now that i have stopped eating breakfast, i dont mentally drive myself crazy about food the whole day. And i can go without food the entire day untill i reach home after work. I have my dinner, a normal dinner. Cause i cant eat alot after not having anything but water and two cups of coffee.

I hope this will help me lose the weight.
Anyone else on this plan with succes? What do you eat for dinner? Low carb or just anything?

LaurieDawn 07-16-2014 09:48 AM

There's a whole group on here who do intermittent fasting (IF), which is what you are talking about, really. I used to buy into the whole "small meals for high metabolism" stuff, but there's no proof that it makes any difference when we eat. I also bought into the "avoid the hunger" philosophy, but like you, found I was more focused on food when I tried to make sure that I didn't get too hungry. Embracing the hunger seems to work better, and while I do get hungry, it's no more difficult than the "between eating" hunger that is always a part of my day when I'm calorie-restricting.

So, I decided to try what you're talking about. I started out with one meal (so I could eat "normally" with the family instead of always needing low-cal foods), but it has sort of morphed into eating when I feel a social obligation to eat. So, I will eat lunch if it is a business lunch or there's a reason why I am eating with people, but I will eat very small portions either at lunch or at dinner, so that I am eating only one substantial meal that day. So far, it seems to be working pretty well for me, and like you, I actually feel pretty good doing it.

miscindy 07-16-2014 10:32 AM

I haven't done the one meal a day, but my husband lost 100# in 18 months doing basically that plus lots of workouts. It worked for him, but I couldn't do it.

nonameslob 07-16-2014 10:36 AM

Yes, feel free to join us in the IF thread!

I do one meal a day two days a week since I follow 5:2 (I only eat 500 calories on those two days). I only usually eat two meals on the other 5 days. Skipping breakfast is the best change I ever made in my diet. It used to make me feel ill, but I was told it was SO important...ugh! I don't miss being nauseous at 8 in the morning.

Angelique32 07-16-2014 10:54 AM

Hi guys,

Thank you for your replies.

I opened this tread cause not everyone in the IF team does one meal a day fasting, they usually do the 5:2. and other kinds.

As i started the one meal a day one, i wanted to know if there alot of you guys doing the same.

It would take me to long to do the fast only two days a week. I would get discouraged.

novangel 07-16-2014 10:55 AM

I eat once or twice a day since before it even had a name I think. It's not for everyone but this is the way my Father eats and I developed the same habit. I can go a good 24 hours in between meals. My BF who is naturally thin eats tiny meals and snacks throughout the day and says he doesn't know how I survive, but if I ate like him I would wind up overeating.

There was a time I worked a lot and ate only lunch for about 2 years and I was 127p. I can't do that anymore now that I'm older. I usually have a snack somewhere during the day and only eat dinner. I have no interest in 3 meals a day by default. So I'm an IF dieter by accident.

ETA: I gained all my excess weight during pregnancy in 02. I went overboard.

novangel 07-16-2014 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelique32 (Post 5041585)
Hi guys,

I opened this tread cause not everyone in the IF team does one meal a day fasting, they usually do the 5:2. and other kinds.

As i started the one meal a day one, i wanted to know if there alot of you guys doing the same.

It would take me to long to do the fast only two days a week. I would get discouraged.

I know you want results quickly but understand that the faster you lose isn't better for the long run. If you want to sustain the loss then slow and steady is the way to do it. Good luck.

TheSatinPumpkin 07-16-2014 11:08 AM

I have one meal a day using foods from Atkins DANDR Induction List. Usually between 5:30pm-6:30pm. Will change it up when i am at or below goal and focus more on strength training.

nonameslob 07-16-2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelique32 (Post 5041585)
Hi guys,

We all do very different forms of IF, but the struggles are very similar. I understand it is nice to have some companions who understand your specific plan, though!

I wish you the best and hope this is a plan you can stick to. I do agree that slow loss can be healthy physically, though maybe not mentally! It is frustrating!