Steel Magnolias #342

• GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

It has cooled down to 79 degrees but the humidity has gone up to 45%. It is 11 pm as I type. I am putting to bed a successful eating day of 18 points and feel real positive that this week will be done by the numbers. I have another of my little glass houses done and am cutting out a pattern for a 3 storey one which is more of a challange.

Everyone have a great Friday now ya'hear.
  • Good morning flowers! No, I did not fall off the earth, just have no cable/dsl and who knows when it will be back. I went and got one of those free 45 days AOL cds so I could at least have internet access again! You cannot believe the mess here. They clocked everything at a category 3 hurricane wind. We had an errand to run (which was useless because the store is without power and closed indefinitely) and were driving through one of the main streets here and it looks like a war zone. Power lines hanging in the streets, electric poles snapped in half and hanging over into the streets, huge trees snapped off like twigs and no traffic signals. Now if you live in a town of 20,000 it may be inconvenient but not too bad, but here it is a nightmare. We have one a block from the condo and the traffic was backed up so bad, we couldn't get to the left hand turn lane to get into our condo street!

We are fine though, bored to tears. I can get 2 channels on our bedroom tv and one is Fox and the other is the public channel! I was lucky enough to find a library open yesterday so got some books to at least give me something to do. The pool is still closed. I don't know why they haven't finished it. They started cleaning it day before yesterday, but I walked over there yesterday and there is still pine needles and such at the bottom! I have had to walk for exercise again and my hip sure doesn't like it!

You all have a fine Friday!

Faye
  • Good Morning, Flowers!
    It's a cool 70 degrees with 73% humidity; I'm heading out for a walk as soon as I finish here and get dressed. It's supposed to be in the 90s this afternoon . . . so much for our cooler weather!

Bubbles -- You are a TRUE friend when you scoop out litter boxes! Maybe you should make a visit to your favorite doc and get something stronger than OTC for your sore throat. I know how annoying that can be. Enjoy your Christmas at camp -- I see the Hallmark Christmas ornaments are out . . . won't be long and we'll be seeing the trees, lights, and ornaments in the stores.

Maggie -- From 101 to 79 is a big jump in temperatures! It has been in the low 60s at night for the last week or so -- I love having the windows open to sleep! Last night our "rowdy" neighbor kid had a group on the deck until quite late. I finally gave up and shut the window when I went to bed. You are off to a LOSS with your 18 point day!

"Gma" -- I wondered where you disappeared to! It would be hard to know which mess to clean up first when the damage is so extensive. I just threw away one of those free AOL disks that came in the mail . . . I should have saved it for you! I hope your cable is back on soon . . . being without it sure makes one appreciate when it does work! Are we spoiled or what? I can remember watching the signal when we got our first TV and the program didn't start until 4 in the afternoon!

Hope you all have a fantastic Friday. I am off to get dressed, go for a walk, and work in a bedroom!

Jean -- in Iowa!
  • Good Morning, Flowers!
    I've been to do my cat chores and then stopped to look at a new refrigerator and stove. I've always wanted a bottom freezer and a smooth top stove . . . do any of you have either one?

It's another windy day and supposed to be 90+ before the day is over. I'm working on another closet today.

Have a nice day!

Jean -- in Iowa!
  • Saturday morning already....
    GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

My new dishwasher is just being installed! YIPEKIO. It has cooled down a tad but is 84 degrees as I type. I am thinking of what I am going to have for brunch. I do believe the day calls for a nice smoothie.

JEAN yes I have had both a smooth top stove and a bottom freezer in my fridge when we owned a house in Montana. I loved them both. If you do a lot of canning they don't recommend you get a smooth top stove ~ at least that was the information I was given but that was a few years ago and they are constantly improving things. I especially liked that bottom freezer. We had a wonderful side by each fridge in TN which was good also but I still prefer the bottom freezer. If this one ever goes bonkers while we live here I can get one of those.

FAYE I am so sorry to hear of the damage to your little area. It truly is amazing what damage a storm can do - especially if you are in the middle of it. I hope you can get everything back to exact soon. {{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}}}

Going to go make my smoothie.......
  • Jean: I bought a flat top stove when we moved in here and I LOVE it! I am not sure it is a good idea if you have young children (Thomas burnt himself pretty bad several months ago climbing onto the cupboard not realizing the stove was hot) but for us oldsters it is great! Mine has this little indicator on the stove top when the stove is hot even if the burners are off. It stays red until the stovetop cools off. You have to buy a special product to clean it and be meticulous about spills getting cleans up fairly quickly so they don't "set" but I really love mine.

Maggie: We are getting back to normal. There is still about 125,000 customers without power, but.....I HAVE MY POOL BACK! I found out that the reason the cable was out for 3 days was because they couldn't go in and reair areas that were down until they were given the all clear by MLGW (our electric company) that all electrical lines had been repaired so they would just shut off a whole area!

I am so excited. The sister I have that lives in Ca is coming to Arkansas around the 8th of Aug with her hubby and daughter to see her fil who had surgery Friday. It is only a 4 hour drive to their house from here and I haven't seen her since Thanksgiving pre-weight loss of any kind. I can't wait. It will be like old home week as my bil's family is step related to me. His grandmother is my step grandmother and the only one I ever knew and I lived with in high school. His mom I call aunt and his sisters were like my sisters. NOW for the neat part. When my bil was in Memphis in the late 60's going through electronic school, he was best friends with this guy from New Mexico. Because the guy couldn't go home, my bil's mom kind of adopted him and he and Larry would hitchhike to his mom's house on the weekends. Guess who the friend was? Yep, you got it. My grandparents would go to Arkansas every summer so my grandma could visit her daughter and between my junior and senior years while I was down there, my female cousin talked me into writing this friend of her brothers. Her mom made her write him because he was so far from home, but her boyfriend didn't like her doing it so she talked me into it. And that as we say is HISTORY! thirty one years and 2 kids later we are still together and happier than ever. Besides that, we then put our heads together and decided we should get his best friend and my favorite sister together. They have been married 30 years in just a few days. So, these people are like his extended family and we are really excited about going even for the weekend.

Well toodle-loo for now!

Faye
  • Good Evening, Flowers!
    I'm waiting for the dryer to finish so will chat with you. We were gone most of the day . . . went to visit MIL after church this morning. When we got home tonight I took a little snooze in front of the TV and missed the ending of a program I was watching.

Maggie -- I've never canned anything in my life. I vaguely remember my grandmother canning tomatoes on the hot stove and being warned about the boiling water; my mother never canned either. I did help with freezing corn a time or two; we even tried that when our kids were little. When we got ready to eat it, no one liked it so we threw it all out.

"Gma" -- I have one cat that will jump up on the counter or stove and I am kind of concerned about her burning her paws. I guess if she does it once she won't ever do it again. I'm sure you will enjoy the visit with your sister and bil -- that is interesting about the letter writing!

Hope you all have a marvelous Monday! It's hard to believe that July is almost over.

Jean -- from Iowa!
  • Monday
    GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is supposed to be cooler this day....... when it gets older I will be able to tell for right now as I type it is 77 degrees. I have another house cut ready to solder ~ my village is growing and will be finished in time for the holidays giving me time enough to make some boxes for gifts.

FAYE what a neat story about your "family." I do hope you have a wonderful reunion! What fun, what joy,

JEAN we had such a nice visit from Cindy and her husband and a couple of friends and the baby from TN! (You do remember Cindy don't you?) Daniel is now 8 months old and he is a real good baby. Very inquisitive. They like it out here ~ the humidity being so low ~ they said they will come more often. Do you realize it is almost 2 years since we have seen them and the first I have seen the baby. AH Life is good.

Everyone have a wonderful Monday and drink that water.
  • GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Just finished giving myself a manicure....I don't usually paint my nails. Thought they would look better at the party in Minneapolis next Saturday. Using the computer is easier on the not completely dried nails than my other chores that await.

MAGGIE Wow, your going great guns on your glass house project. Definitely need to get a photo of them for us. You are a great example of persistance in the weight loss process and I can only hope to get back on the program right after we get back from MN.

JEAN Yikes, I never thought of the cats getting on the flat stove! That could be a problem. I tried canning tomatoes a loong time ago but was not successful and it was such a chore that I never tried it again. My mother had a second kitchen in the basement that she used for canning and killing and plucking chickens. UGH! There was a woman who came around in a wagon with fresh produce and fresh chickens to sell. So, after you purchased the chicken......I always made myself scarce on those days.

FAYE Sorry to hear of the storm damage in your area but glad to know that things are getting back to normal. That is quite a story about you and hubby. I'm sure you are eternally grateful to your cousin and her mother. I have a flat top Jenn-air stove, it is 10 yrs old now, and I love it. Spills are easy to clean up with a little Bon Ami and a damp sponge. I use windex to give it a shine after cleaning. So simple. My girl friend has a refrigerator with a bottom freezer and she loves it. If I ever get a new refrigerator, that's what I will get.

BUBS You are a nice person to clean out the cat boxes for your friend. How is the new puppy working out? Is she doing better now that she is getting older? It has been a long time since we had pups here but I do remember washing my kitchen floor every single day when I was trying to train them.

We are off on Thursday AM for Minneapolis and the "Big Party"....we just heard that the party boy wants to entertain his Boston guests on his boat (Yacht?) on Sunday...of course we said yes.

Gloria in MA....lots to do around here so I guess I'd better get moving. Have a great week and weekend ahead....will 'talk' to you again when we get home.
  • Good Morning, Flowers!
    It's a beautiful day in my neighborhood so far. The washer and dryer are humming away and picking up the kitchen is next on my agenda.

Maggie -- Yes, I remember Cindy, mostly from the Cutie thread though. I think Daniel and Ian were born within days of each other; Ian was born on the 21st. What fun to have visitors from so far away!

Gloria -- I remember my grandparents killing chickens and watching them run around the yard headless. GROSS! I still remember the smell of the wet feathers . . . gives me the willies just thinking about it. I would not have been a very good pioneer! Have a wonderful time in MN next weekend! I'm sure that you will have great fun; the boat ride sounds like a real treat. I'll bet it is more yacht size though, if you are going on the Mississippi. I'll be anxious to read all about it when you get back home.

The dryer is buzzing so I'd better go fold before everything is too wrinkled. Have a great day, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
  • Tuesday Afternoon
    GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is 103 as I type but the humidity is staying below 25% thank goodness. I got a lot of typing done for Cowboy this morning. I don't mind doing that at all since I have this nice computer and can still type faster than I really need to. I took a break from my "glass works" and chugged a huge glass of water. WOW that tasted good. Turn sleeps on my glass box - the plastic bin I keep my glass squares. Keeps me company for sure. He follows me around like a little puppy dog.

GLORIA I am sure you will have a great time on that boat party. I miss those ~ since we are so inland away from my beloved ocean. Bass lake isn't far from here but it just isn't the same as that Pacific Ocean. Ah but we do have the beautiful mountains and trees here with the Yosemite just a stones throw away.

JEAN that is something I have never seen Turn do ~ hop up on the stove. He even rarely gets on a kitchen counter. Now he will get on the table........ loves to hold down my hand croched tablecloth.

Guess what they now make - if you like dark chocolate you can get now ~ and they are 2 for 1 point. And yes, I can eat just two. Not one of my red light foods.

Have a wonderful afternoon ya'all.
  • Good Afternoon, Flowers!
    The sun is playing hide and seek this afternoon . . . I wouldn't be surprised if we see some rain although none is in the forecast. I am now the owner of a bottom freezer/refrigerator and a smooth top stove. They were delivered this morning and I have been reading the "how to do it" books that came with them. I probably should make a grocery store run and cook something for supper!

Maggie -- Maggie, the cat, will wander over the stove top to get to a glass jar that I'm trying to root a plant in. I don't know why but she prefers that yukky water to the fresh water in her bowl. I'm hoping she will sense that the top is hot and not step on it! The guy turned all 5 burners on high and it stayed quite warm for quite a while after he turned the burners off. All of our cats like to sit on the table when the sun shines on it. My mom always said my cats have "clean" paws and fur! My MIL never knew because we always shut the fur people in the basement when she comes.

I need to run some errands so better keep moving. Have a terrific Tuesday, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
  • Good wet morning ladies. That of course will not keep me out of the pool unless they don't unlock it. Yesterday I practically got drowned when I went over. It was barely sprinkling so I got in and about a minute later the sky opened up. I did an hours workout in a downpour. I needed windshield wipers for my eyes!

Looks like you ladies have been busy. It has been quiet here since the storm. I noticed we finally made the national news after a whole week! My dd had a good point. When some other city has a catastrophe, we send whatever is necessary to help out be it food, water, or people and we had very little help and no acknowledgement here. It is still quite a mess. Our cable is still not up and going correctly, many parts of the city are STILL without power and our poor electric company men are exhausted working 24 hours a day to get all the power restored. We have had some people die from CO poisoning due to generators. It is just a sad time here for a lot of folks.

I get T on Friday so I am resting up! Other grandma has to work and neglected to tell my dd. She accidently found out. Good thing the other grandma is always available! I am thinking of ways to spoil him so she can get mad at me The other grandma fills him with junk and I am the only one that hears about it when she doesn't like something so I figure to heck with it. If I am going to get blamed, I might as well do the crime! Besides, he isn't a baby anymore where he needs constant food monitoring etc. We will probably go to the mall and ride the carousel and get ice cream and swim in the pool and meet granddad for lunch. He is just a try joy to be with.

Better go as I am on AOL since we haven't a cable modem right now and don't want to tie up the phone line for too long.

Faye
  • Good Afternoon, Flowers!
    It's warming up and the air conditioner has clicked back on. We are supposed to be getting rain but right now the sun is shining brightly.

I had to take Leonard to the vet this afternoon -- he is losing hunks of fur, was due for shots, and has been upchucking his food from time to time. We are going to change his diet to begin with, as the symptoms (vomiting) can be a sign of colitis. I'm hoping the new food does the trick because if it doesn't, the next step is blood work and he won't be a happy camper going back for that. He managed to hiss and growl at everyone there but he was a good boy this time and didn't pee all over the table.

"Gma" -- We are also babysitting on Friday afternoon and evening! Mr. Ian has decided he prefers real people food instead of baby food. He only has 2 teeth so there are only so many things that he can have. It will be interesting! I know you will enjoy your day with T. I'm surprised that area towns have not come forward to help your city. I really feel sorry for anyone who has to be without electricity when it is so hot . . . or anytime for that matter. It has to be so frustrating for the people trying to fix everything so it will work. I downloaded Callwave so that if someone wants me, and I am online, I can get off. I'm not even sure if cable modem is available here. Anyhow, I hope you are back to normal soon!

Have a nice "rest of the day," Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!
  • Humpday evening
    GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

We still don't have any rain and it is 84 here as I type with 46% humidity and I feel sticky. I sure hope all my staying OP this week pays off in the morning when I meet with Mr. Iorn Monster. I have hope because I did what was necessary. I did some soldering on my house today and had to quit ~ too hot in here for that. When the air conditioners go on sale at the end of this season I think I will get a small one to put in here.

FAYE it is great that you get to spend some time with your little grandson! He will treasure those moments I am sure because kids do remember. Are you sure you aren't amphibious? All that water above and below and you in the middle.

JEAN well tell! How do you like that new stove? Hope Maggie wasn't burned too badly to learn her lesson. I am sure you will love that fridge with the bottom freezer. What fun to get two new major appliances at once.

Have a nice evening folks and a great Thursday. Be safe and happy. BTW I am #14 so the next one here gets to start a new thread. Don't be bashful ~ just jump in and do it.