Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5ft3 ish

Default Why doesn't anyone notice?!

I know I haven't lost that much..... But I can start to see a difference. Even some clothes are getting pretty baggy and I've been wearing tops a size smaller. I've noticed my arms too. I know I know, it shouldn't be about what other people say or notice but it is satisfying when a weight loss compliment comes my way. Yes, I know my body better than anyone I understand I will notice the smaller more personal changes. My DH just said " so how's the diet going".? Seriously??? Even HE doesn't notice UGH
cheddahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #2  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

You know what, I felt the same way as you until very recently when I was on the other side. My boyfriend has lost about the same weight as me (maybe more) and I had NO IDEA how small he had gotten until I made a side-by-side before/during picture of him. Holy cow! I knew the numbers, because we share that with each other, but I just couldn't see it.

I think it's just so hard to notice when you see someone every day or even once a week. I hope you're taking progress pictures for yourself, and maybe some that you would show your DH when you have a proud moment
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Lots of people experience this. Then *BANG*, one day people will be absolutely agog with shock, like overnight you lost 30 pounds.

Just keep on doing what you're doing!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:15 PM   #4  
Refreshed

I agree with the above, but I also think some people feel nervous about saying something. You may be open to the compliment, but not everyone is.
Durian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:29 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 249/~~~/149

Height: 5'6

Just because they're not saying anything doesn't mean they haven't noticed. Some people are just shy to say something. If they say something and you're not losing weight, they may worry that they're saying you should lose weight.

No one in my office said anything for the first 25 pounds of my weight loss. Then one of our out-of-state people came into the office and was surprised when she saw me. She started crying and told me I look amazing. Then my co-workers who hadn't said anything before chimed in with things like "I thought you were losing weight" or "I didn't want to say anything" or "I noticed before and yeah you look great."

Now that those flood gates have opened people comment on my weight loss regularly. I've now lost 35 pounds and I got a "looking good" from the office hottie yesterday.
Amy Remixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 227/Ticker/130

Height: 5'1

Gurllll I'll tell you why.

First of all they genuinely can't tell I know my BF couldn't tell if I lost 40 lbs or not. Cause some of them can't tell any difference. They just can't unless you look like a skinny cow if there is one -really I am still annoyed at my bf for not telling the difference!!! it has to be a drastic change for some people to notice.

Secondly, there are some who don't want to say it cause it's inappropriate for example a friend of mine saw me after a few months-hung out with me for a month before saying "hey a month ago... i wanted to say something but didn't think you'd like it cause you might think you were fatter before so I am saying it now, you lost weight" and I went "NO PLEASE TELL ME MORE"--- most people usually guys dont want to tell you you lost weight for fearing they might offend you because they don't want to bring up the weight issue.

Third, people notice when you put on weight more than losing. I was talking to a friend about this and this girl is skinny and I am not. but they are quick to tell her she looks fatter rather than she is skinny eventhough she is and I've seen this a couple of times. This more in girls-it's more obvious if you put on weight and usually gf's tell you if you are rather than compliment and say you lost weight. I know, weird right??

Anyways keep on doing what you are doing, shock yourself and everyone else. Forget what they think- although I totally know what you mean by wanting a compliment once in a while. Still waiting for mine to come hahahah!
Calbeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 263/260/130

Height: 5'7

They will notice in time, just give it a while. I usually have the opposite problem - people notice my weight loss but I think I look the same
FoxCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #8  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

You know, I see other people post threads about how they hate when people say anything, for various reasons.

Maybe people do notice, but don't feel it would be appropriate to say anything unless you bring it up first. I don't think I would bring up anyone's weight loss first, myself. My go to compliment is "You're looking great!" without commenting on anything specifically. It's hard to offend anyone that way. ;-)
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #9  
Never Giving Up

S/C/G: Going from chubby to not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Snark View Post
Lots of people experience this. Then *BANG*, one day people will be absolutely agog with shock, like overnight you lost 30 pounds.

Just keep on doing what you're doing!
That's exactly what happened to me, lol. I had to tell them I have been on a diet since Christmas.
Serenity100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #10  
~Shannon

S/C/G: 210.8/see ticker/140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in

I've lost 23 and while I can tell a big difference I've only had one person genuinely notice and ask. We look at ourselves all the time. I think it takes others longer to notice and like others said, even then they may be hesitant to say anything.
Shannonsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:46 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

It usually takes me until I've dropped around 40 lbs. I'm at 25lbs. and I can definitely see it, but no one's mentioned anything yet.

I'll bet that you'll be shocked at the way people notice your " sudden " weight loss.

I'm one of those people who's a bit conflicted about the compliment thing. I'm ok when it's a few people. But I work with about 250 people, so eventually I hear it alot. And of course with that many comments, someone's bound to say something really awkward. Usually it's one of my male co-workers, which makes me extremely uncomfortable even though I know they mean well. I have a very hard time adjusting to being seen as a woman instead of just one of the guys. That, and feeling like I'm being scrutinized taps into a very unhealthy part of my psyche.
Streudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:23 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 244/see ticker/150

Height: 5ft3 ish

Some good insight Ladies!! Thank you. Ok so I'll just keep doing this for ME and wait for the "sudden" weight loss comments. Lol. It's a little bit fun knowing this will eventually happe. If that makes sense. I feel better everyday I continue. Can't wait for the goal. What a great thing I'm doing for my body and mind!!
cheddahcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Lately I have been hesitant to comment when someone has lost weight. Even saying "You look nice today" can sound like they didn't look nice before. So if someone asks why I didn't notice that they lost weight I usually say "Because you always look so nice!"

When I went to the tanning salon the first time this year I noticed that the manager had really lost a lot of weight. I was afraid to say anything but wondered how she did it. So I waited until we were the only ones in the room and said that something looked different about her. Then she proceeded to tell me the whole story. It had happened mostly over the fall and winter when I don't usually go to tan.

On the other hand, if I know that someone has started a weight loss program I will make a positive comment, even if just to give them some encouragement.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:35 AM   #14  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

Height: 5'1"

Hey CheddahCat! The most important person to notice your weightloss is YOU! You see it in the mirror, in the fit of your clothes, in the lightness of your step. Even your feet feel better!
We here on the support forums notice it too!
We see your weightloss ticker and your dancing carrots!
Enjoy the journey
lucindaarrowspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 249/~~~/149

Height: 5'6

There was a friend of a friend that I had not seen in a year. She looked at least 30 pounds slimmer. Her face looked beautiful because you could now see her cheekbones. I said "You look gorgeous and slim. What are you doing for yourself?" She said with great poise "I'm fighting cancer. The chemo has been rough." I somehow mustered "It's your strength and spirit making you glow." But I still want the earth to open up and swallow me whole. I am now one of those who now will say someone looks great but will not comment directly on weight.
Amy Remixed is offline   Reply With Quote