Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #1  
MaryKay

S/C/G: 230/221/175

Height: 5'11

Default Tired of being overweight!

I have started and stopped my weightloss about 10 times throughout the past few years. I start to make progress and stop working on it. I don't think I look like I weigh as much as I do, but I know I need to get healthy. I used to be a college athlete and now I can barely run a mile. Any advice for staying motivated, or any weightloss techniques that have been useful would be greatly appreicated! I know exercise will be key, but I am currently working 50hours a week at a desk job, and go to school tuesday-friday from 6-10pm which doesn't leave a lot of time for the gym. I have read several posts from other people, and it is really comforting to know there are other people with the same struggles as me!
MaryKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #2  
www.EscapeFromFatCity.com

S/C/G: 190/184.5/???

Height: 5'7"

Welcome, MaryKay!

I'm new to the forum, too, but not new to weight loss. Exercise is absolutely beneficial for so many health reasons - AND gives beautiful shape to the body - but for weight loss I've heard approx 80% is diet related.

You'll find lots of different diet advice here, but the best diet for you is one that's 1) healthful and 2) you can live with forever. Many weight loss plans will follow a few phases depending on how close your goal weight, but overall, find something that suits how you enjoy eating. If you're vegan, don't do Atkins. If you're a meat lover, don't go the raw vegan route. LOL!

For me, support is huge. Come here and post your little heart out. Find people who think like you and can pull you up when your motivation falters. And hey - check out all the amazing photos on here from people just like us who stuck with it. This is a great place to be, and I'm glad you're here to share the journey!

Kitty

Last edited by EscapeKitty; 05-20-2014 at 02:20 PM.
EscapeKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:41 PM   #3  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I got tired of being obese. Overweight hasn't bothered me nearly as much
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeKitty View Post
I'm new to the forum, too, but not new to weight loss. Exercise is absolutely beneficial for so many health reasons - AND gives beautiful shape to the body - but for weight loss I've heard approx 80% is diet related.
Kitty
Agree with this 100%. You can lose weight without exercise, not that I'm saying you should. However, you can't outexercise poor eating habits. Not long term, anyway.

Welcome and best of luck to you Mary Kay. You can do it!
Streudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:59 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi MaryKay, welcome. You are busy indeed! Physical activity can be injected into your day without being formal exercise. Wearing a pedometer (I love my Fitbit) can help motivate you to park a little further from class, walk the long way home and get up and move during your lunch break. As long as you're hitting 10,000 steps a day you'll be in good shape regarding cardio, even if you can't get to the gym formally. A few lunges and push ups and other body weight exercises during the commercial breaks and you'll be glad you did it. Just stay active.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:31 AM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

With a gruelling schedule like the one you are doing, i'd focus on eating better and getting enough sleep.

You haven't really got time to go to the gym. At most you could just try to walk more while you are at work and so on.

As for staying motivated, if you just work out a good diet and stick with it, you will lose weight and that will keep you motivated.

Given how much you are trying to do, i'd say its important to eat enough and to not try to reduce your calories too much. Take it slowly. And improve your nutrition if its not already good.

If you are eating out a lot, or eating a lot of pre-bought foods, try to make better choices.

A lot of people here use things like fit bit and calorie counting phone apps. This could be an easy and time efficient way for you to monitor your calorie intake so that you only eat a little less than you actually need. This will be enough to lose weight.

I don't think you can afford to try anything too severe. It will only lead to hunger and then you will go to the first thing you can find and eat too much of it.

EAt more vegetables and fruit. Snack on fruit. Always have some around so that if you feel hungry, you've got something low calorie to eat.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:32 AM   #7  
MaryKay

S/C/G: 230/221/175

Height: 5'11

Thank you all for your suggestions!
MaryKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #8  
Pounds...A Losing Battle

S/C/G: 163/149/130

Height: 5'6"

I think support is key and 3FC gives me the support I can't get from group meetings...I just log on before falling off the wagon and after reading for 10-15 minutes can make it through a desire to cheat.
Bunny924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 11:15 AM   #9  
maintaining since 9/2013

You can exercise at home with a few weights and/or DVDS. Youtube has a vast array of home exercise. Just a few minutes is enough to make you feel better--more energy and mental focus, which can help you with school.

There's no need to worry about gym hours, parking, clothes, fees. You can accomplish the same thing. Even simply walking in place with your favorite music can be tremendously beneficial. Start small and see where it takes you.

Last edited by mars735; 05-24-2014 at 11:15 AM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #10  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Hi Marykay,

Welcome to the forum, You can do it, I look forward to reading your posts.
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:51 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I agree that most people find it easier to lose weight by focusing on diet rather than exercise. At the same time, exercise is probably more beneficial for your health. Is it possible for you to stand at work? I am a programmer and I was the first one in my office to stand at my desk. Now, several others are doing it too. That in itself is an improvement, and it takes no time.

Once you are already standing, it is easier to add more frequent stretch breaks, walk around just a bit and get back to work, I wear a pedometer and it adds up. As others have said, you can also try to work more walking into your lifestyle. Your time is clearly in short supply, but if you can add in some exercise, it may even improve your ability to study!

At home, I have a treadmill desk setup. I walk on it while I am browsing the web (I'm on it now!). So, if you have some recreational computer time, you can add in exercise for no additional time!

Last edited by yoyoma; 05-29-2014 at 07:56 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:29 PM   #12  

Getting your heart rate up for just 20 minutes can help. Something is always better than nothing at all.

As others have said there are gazillions of videos on you tube. Buy some weights or just fill some plastic grocery bags with heavy stuff and use those - anything to give your muscles resistance. Target a different set up of muscles each day so that they do not get too accustomed to the work out. Look for some circuit training work outs ( work outs that have minimal rest between sets )

A short circuit training workout each day with weights will increase your lean mass ( muscle ) which will raise your metabolism leading to more calories burned each day.

You can do it. Good luck to you.
breakonthrough is offline   Reply With Quote