Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-12-2014, 06:05 PM   #31  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
Berry blonde boys, i'm going to call you out on this. That's quite insulting. You are suggesting that i give a lot of bad advice. Naturally, since you've never countered anything i've said before, except perhaps for the thyroid thing, i can't think what you might be referring to.
No, I said this is the worst advice you've given. That does not imply you always give bad advice, but this was bad advice to say that you will get bigger muscles in the hips area if you walk, run or bike. Saying to avoid certain exercises to keep certain muscles from getting bigger in order for that body part to appear smaller- is bad advice.

Doing a variety of exercise is important. Doing what you love to do is the most important. And exercise, as you know, overall makes you smaller than if you didn't exercise. And being BALANCED in muscle strength is ideal to avoid injuries.

About your photos: Your picture is great and you were fit and in your current photos - I love your hair (cut mine a couple years ago and I'm regrowing it).
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:14 PM   #32  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Well i'm glad we cleared that up.

About my hair, i've only just gone back to being blonde and i love it. I don't know why i made myself go through with being brunette for the last few years.

And being blonde now, i don't want to cut it though i hate combing it. Its always going into dreadlocks.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:42 PM   #33  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I'll just chime in with my own experience, exercise and losing weight together have helped me, but that hip area is the last to go. The poster who mentioned HIIT, increasing the incline on the treadmill and HIIT on the exercise bike helped tone my butt and quads pulling them in and making them smaller.

My DH loves the hips, he made a comment once that made me think about my hips a little differently he said something like, you're getting hips, your waist is getting smaller, he was totally being complimentary, if you could have heard his tone, lol, anyway, hips are something girls want to get rid of that guys love, one of those Venus/Mars things I guess.

Keep working your program, you're doing great and will naturally want to be more active as you get lighter. Sometimes we go through periods where things aren't looking exactly as we like, but they pass, kind of like when you're growing your hair out, there's that stage you have to get through where you just want to cut it iff

Best of luck to you
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:15 PM   #34  
Black Barbie

S/C/G: 252/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity100 View Post
This is slightly off topic. . .but look for the Jennifer Lopez brand of clothing at Kohls. Her jeans especially are cut for curvier figures like herself.

Yesssssss!!! I LOOVE her brand at Kohl's! Her clothes fit me so perfectly!! (although I'm not a pear shape because I have big boobs)
Olivia7906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #35  
Lose 1lb. Repeat 99 times

S/C/G: 262/signature/170

Height: 5'5"

thanks everyone for the great tips and compliments! I feel so motivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
But she still seems fixed on the idea that only exercise can resolve this problem. Well if this is what she believes, she will never resolve her problem. Losing weight is the way to reduce those saddle bags.
Ummm.. I meant fat burn! Exercise for overall weight loss is going to help get rid of the saddles!

stunningsparkle - LOL, you are funny!!

Serenity100 - really? I never tried JLo's line of jeans before. Thanks
nitrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #36  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I was just skimming April Redbook, there's an article on perfect pants, funny the woman talking about perfect pants is wearing a dress...anyway it reminded me that I got a nice pair of fleece (sweatpants) yoga pants that are very comfortable and flattering (for sweatpants) at Kohl's, I love Kohls, especially the clearance racks! These aren't as clingy as some lighter weight yoga pants, so they're a little forgiving.
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:26 AM   #37  

exercises and healthy diets are the best solution for the above. you can have sit ups which is the best exercise .also you can touch your toes without bending your knees which can also give some effect. a healthy diet with addition of fruits and fat free foodies would help... tat's it
aiza55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:41 AM   #38  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

I've seen some decent smoothing in those areas with side bends, clam shells, and side leg lifts. You will still need to focus on weight loss but exercising those areas can help create a bit of a smoothing effect for you and they help strengthen your core and lower back.

Last edited by 4star; 05-17-2014 at 09:41 AM.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:30 AM   #39  
www.EscapeFromFatCity.com

S/C/G: 190/184.5/???

Height: 5'7"

I'm also a pear shape, and on me saddlebags/hips are the first to arrive and the last to go. Frustrating, but that's just our body type. My college roomie and I used to share clothes, as we were the same size. Except she was an apple and I was a pear. She envied my flat stomach (remember, this was years ago - lol!) and I envied her slim hips. Looking back, we both had rockin' bodies. Why are we so hard on ourselves?

BTW, I totally agree with strengthening and cross training exercise. The older you get, the more you'll appreciate how your body needs it. I've found barre exercises super helpful for legs and hips. There's an old program called Callanetics that works wonders.

You're doing an AMAZING job! (And you're just so flippin' cute!) Just keep going, and those hips will fall in line, too.

Oh, and yes, regarding the whole "guys love hips" thing. My husband forbade me to diet away my tush. Not even a possibility, I assured him. But I can sure make it look better.
EscapeKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #40  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Hourglass/Pear here! I hear ya on the hips!! I echo a lot of what's been said above. When I shop I have to be extra careful to find shapes that look good on me. If it comes in at the waist and has a little hip rouching, it usually looks good. But those loose flowy shirts that end at your belly button are the worst! I need it to give me a clear waist, otherwise I just look big all the way down. Pants are hard! Curvy fits help. It's always the trade off - do I buy something tight on my hips but okay through my waist or do I find something that fits my hips but leaves the waist band gap? I usually pick the first and just wear a shirt long enough to cover the tight part. Skirts are good, but generally pencil skirts are better than pleated skirts.

And like a lot of others have said - it's a feminine shape that is very nice when it's a little thinner. Keep going on your weight loss and you'll like it more and more. Your shape won't change - it just gets bigger and smaller overall and will keep similar proportions to the rest of your body. With that said, as I was losing weight I found it not always coming off the most evenly and certain parts would respond and then catch up. It was a little like being a teenager. Give yourself some time and it might even out a little but mostly, just learn to enjoy your curves and how to dress them. (And yeah, keep your workouts balanced - regardless of your shape, all of your muscles need your love.)
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote