Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #46  
Once + Future Skinny B***

S/C/G: 195/148.6/115

Height: 5'3

The only person who knows I am actively trying to lose weight is one friend, and she's perhaps the kind of friend anyone trying to lose weight definitely needs. She used to be obese and underwent WLS before I knew her, so she's already been through this and then some. But, she has never offered advice, criticism or information that I didn't explicitly ask for first, she is doesn't call attention to it, and she's genuinely supportive without going overboard. She's the only one I share my progress with and she consciously plans meals or restaurants around my needs without me ever having to ask. Her support has made such a huge, positive difference!

I initially didn't tell my husband, as he's deployed and I wanted to surprise him, but he realized it after losing only ten pounds when we Skyped. He still doesn't know the extent of what I'm doing or how much weight I want to lose, though - as of yesterday, he thought I had met my goal and I didn't correct him

No one else knows. No one has made any comments yet, but my weight goes down and back up a lot because of a pre-existing illness, so I'm sure friends don't want to say anything about it. I don't plan on telling anyone else until I have to.

Last edited by futureformerfisher; 05-29-2014 at 07:50 PM.
futureformerfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:29 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 181/148.8/129

Height: 5'3"

My co-workers know but they think I'm fine. But they don't see what I see in the mirror when the clothes come off...good thing, too, or that would be creepy...

Some of my family knows and my fiance naturally knows and is on board with it.
Doomkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #48  
Never ever giving up!

S/C/G: See ticker :)

Height: 5'4.5"

Well, my husband knows, a few relatives know and my closest friends know.

When I first started my journey I had distanced myself a bit from most of my friends due to moving away from my home town and having some depression/anxiety issues, and having gained a lot of my weight during that time didn't help. So my plan at first was to just stay away and then surprise them all, but that just didn't work out, as I eventually sorted out and got help for my issues, and became more social again before any weight loss success at all. So now I am being open about it and they (or most of them, anyway) are being very supportive. But then again, it made my recent regain a lot more embarassing.
Em Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:55 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 205/190/150

Height: 5'9

I have not said a word to anyone except my very best girlfriend this time. I also kept off the grid until I had will power firmly in place since I am for all intent paleo/ low carbing. When I used to tell people its like the sabotage ensues. I am down 15 pounds in about 6 weeks after 100 false starts in the last almost 3 years. I still have another 40 to go. When I hit the 30 pound mark and re emerge and they ask, I am going to grin and say , "No I haven't lost weight, why?".
kelly27597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:12 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 229/172/150

Height: 5'5"

I have told few people and kept quiet about my little secret with many others. Experience has shown me that always there is several different responses to being told that you are trying to lose weight - those who themselves are in the process or those who are understanding of your effort (health conscious people) appreciate it while there are also many others who will frown at you - like it happened to me recently. I told someone I am dieting and have lost 30 lbs to date and she frowned at me with a peculiar (unwelcoming) look back and didn't say anything. I also would be little uneasy to tell it to other overweight people.
BigNomore71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 432/180/200

Height: 5'11

Only my wife knew but once it was noticeable that i was losing then comments starting coming in around 90lbs. My retort is pretty simple in just saying thank you for the compliment.
TheSatinPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #52  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

Only my husband knows. In the past I have told some people but it can become a big thing. If I screw up & then they ask how you are doing. Meh. And then there is always some comparing and negative feelings back & forth where I am doing X but think Y is ok & they disagree. It can just be tricky I think.

I surely will share my excitement later on. Once I take a bit off and have created good strong habits.
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:14 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 170/160/115

Height: 5'1"

Yes, my mom, my roommate, and my friends who are also trying to lose weight know. It's easier to stay on track when I have other people keeping me accountable, I think.
tardyfortheparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:56 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 259.5/ticker/140-160?

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
BeachBreeze2010 said :

I was deathly afraid anyone would notice my weight loss. It was mortifying and embarrassing. Because, to me, losing weight meant I was publicly admitting that I was overweight, unattractive and generally BAD.
Yes, I feel the same way - I'm around 250 lbs and I don't want anyone to notice when I start losing weight because I don't want to admit to anyone that I've had such unhealthy habits for the past decade or so.

My wife is the only one who knows I'm trying to lose weight and she is wonderfully supportive, but I really do not want anyone at my work to know. There's a few women at work who go running at lunch time, and they are really into healthy eating and healthy lifestyles and I feel that they would be patronizing OR overly interested in my weight loss journey (but I'm probably just projecting my anxieties onto them, so I keep telling myself to stop fretting).
Katy Did is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:50 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 216/216/116

Height: 5ft

My gf knows cause we live together and she is dieting with me, other than that only a close friend that is also dieting knows. I´ve been trying to keep a low profile to make it easier and not have that much temptations. I plan to tell very few people so they are not expecting it.
RainbowC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:44 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 108/105.8/60 kgs

Height: 5 foot 6

I used to announce it on FB, back in 2011 when I lost 27 kg. That caught the attention of an unscrupulous "Friend" I had a crush on..... well that ended really badly. I'd rather I kept quiet, forgot him, and found someone decent. Then I'd probably be at goal weight by now, instead of binge eating over this "Friend".

Oh well. It will be interesting to see when people notice. Only my family and close friends know.
sonickel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:56 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 250/221.1/150

Height: 5'3

Just my husband and a friend from work who is also on Weight Watchers. I told her when I joined the online program. I kind of wanted someone who could support me and I could support in real life.
Seana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:19 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 95.6/75.6/65.6

Height: 165

I have only shared with my husband as he is my number one supporter and one friend who is also struggles with her weight (im blessed with mainly teeny tiny thin friends who obsess over a gram of fat and plan how many minutes of treadmill running they need to burn it off *rolls eyes* lol) and trying to lose a similiar amount to me who I only met this year when my son started school and we've just clicked. I'd love for people to notice and comment, I find it motivating but so far only these two have commented because they know
fitnhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:05 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 193/ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

Another secret dieter here

I hate all the comments... One friend noticed I was going to the gym all the time and told me that he didn't know why I was going when I had such little results. At that time I had lost 15 lbs in 3 months! So yeah people can be idiotic and their comments aren't welcome
summertime03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:04 PM   #60  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

No
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote