Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-12-2014, 07:02 AM   #16  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Not a soul. I'm not sure how long it's been since I joined the forum. Exercising regularly and bod awareness is pretty routine, people know I like to go jogging and join some sports. I try to not emphasize weight loss even to myself.
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:04 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

My boyfriend, friends, and parents know because I don't think I've ever NOT been trying to lose weight LMAO!

Everyone I know is pretty well aware that I believe strongly in eating homemade and mainly unprocessed foods in my household. At work people will offer cake and then laugh saying, of course you don't want cake...16 years of declining treats and eating homemade, healthy foods daily and people just realize it as a part of life. Sometimes I get asked if I'm trying to lose weight and I always say yes. Lately I've been getting some comments of shock by those that don't know me that well (family friends, etc).
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Since I lose so slowly, I have a hard time not announcing that I have lost, because I'm so happy. I think it's best if others don't know, because sometimes they watch every morsel you eat and question your food decisions. That's not support, but just interference.

Munchy, that's great that you are so good at turning down treats that your friends know ahead of time that you will not eat them! That's what this is all about....changing your lifestyle for good, not just for the duration of the "diet."

The thing that really irks me is that my daughter in law is always bringing sweets and desserts. She really expects me to eat them, even though she knows I'm trying to lose weight and am Diabetic. Her father is diabetic and she would never offer those sweets to him. Why does she do it to me?
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #19  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

My boyfriend, close family and a few friends know. My boyfriend is the only one who knows my goals and one of the only ones who knows that I am doing 5:2. If others ask, I just say I'm eating less and moving more and leave it at that.

I don't like to discuss it with most people because I really don't enjoy the scrutiny around food. It seems to explode when people know you're trying to lose weight. I always have and always will turn down McDonald's at work (someone goes on a McD's run a few times a week), but if they knew I was trying to lose weight I bet you $10 they would make some sort of comment about it!
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #20  

At my former job, it didn't matter - it was glaringly obvious I was losing weight. However, notions of weight were a tad different- it was a highly overweight place and people saw me trying to go from (since I didn't start at my heaviest) above average, but not obese as a stress-related thing. Then again, many were also all really annoying and I'm glad I'm not around them anymore LOL.

At my current workplace, I only had to lose like 24 lbs that I regained. At my height, it was still obvious, but I did what I could to make it as not-apparent as possible. Plus, people here are more chillax and less invasive and openly-critical - so no real questions asked. I think from the outside, if anyone even cares, it does look like I lost some, but not that much and just started wearing tighter clothes.

Rude comments, invasiveness etc, - I see many trying to accommodate for that and blaming themselves for how much they expose about their weightloss, honestly, its very rarely us who blares out YOU NEED TO CHANGE YOURSELF LIKE ME - really critical people will find a way to make a snooty comment no matter what!
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:27 AM   #21  

Yeah but I see that more & more people around have bad health due to obesity. I tried to advise them on weight loss as its not good to be obesity but they don't listen. What should i do?
aiza55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:41 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiza55 View Post
Yeah but I see that more & more people around have bad health due to obesity. I tried to advise them on weight loss as its not good to be obesity but they don't listen. What should i do?
Set a good example and try not to criticize other people, that's all. Teach your kids healthy habits and cook fresh healthy foods for the people you love. People don't change unless they want to.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:32 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

The only people who know I'm trying to lose weight are my parents and my husband. I've learned not to discuss weight loss with anyone else (mainly in-laws) since when my weight-loss gets noticeable I get comments about not losing too quickly. Frustrates since my weight loss was a healthy 1-2 lbs a week and had not been quick at all. And now since I gained a lot back I really don't want to talk about it, ha. But yeah, I just try to be as healthy as I can and not talk too much about it.
abetterme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #24  
Chronic Pain Fighter

S/C/G: 165/?/128-132

Height: 5' 10''

When I was losing, only my husband (boyfriend at the time) knew. He's really supportive and he knows weight loss has been a struggle for me.
desiresdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #25  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Yep. Most people I see regularly know. Co-workers, friends, boyfriend, and family. I do not however say anything about it on social media things. Nothing on Facebook ever. I've "liked" my gym on FB, and had 3 or 4 Fitbit related posts, but that is it. I don't generally advertise, but if someone asks, I have no problem talking about it. (Until the unsolicited advice begins, then I get annoyed!)

I get really irritated at diet and weight loss related FB posts for some reason.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #26  

I don't ever tell anyone, not even my husband. I don't like the pressure it puts on me when I tell my husband and I feel embarassed to even mention it to anyone else. I have weird issues. When people DO notice the weight loss and comment on it, I don't even know what to say. I usually say something lame like "oh I haven't been as hungry lately, don't know why."

And not, "Yeah Ive been working really hard and trying to only eat when Im hungry and not emotionally eat, make better food choices, etc... I also started exercising regularly because it makes me feel good." Nope, I always downplay it as a total unnoticed accident that I have lost any weight.

I tell my husband after the fact like "I lost 30 pounds!" And I share with him my emotional eating realizations. I remember when I first legalized food he gave me a hard time but he is much better now. He is really supportive of me at any weight and even makes comments about how he hopes there will be some of me left, and not to put so much emphasis on weight lost. I just tell him I feel better at a lower weight and healthier and he seems to accept that.

Last edited by Pinkhippie; 05-15-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkhippie View Post
... When people DO notice the weight loss and comment on it, I don't even know what to say. I usually say something lame like "oh I haven't been as hungry lately, don't know why."

And not, "Yeah Ive been working really hard and trying to only eat when Im hungry and not emotionally eat, make better food choices, etc... I also started exercising regularly because it makes me feel good." Nope, I always downplay it as a total unnoticed accident that I have lost any weight.
^^^This! I never know what to say when someone comments on weight loss. I usually reject the idea "really? I haven't noticed, probably not" or I say "yea right I wish!" I NEVER say "yes I'm doing this awesome diet and working out!" When the weight loss becomes more noticeable I suppose I'll just say thank you and leave it at that, I really don't want to go into details with real life people. I'll always downplay that it was anything more than just an accident.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #28  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
^^^This! I never know what to say when someone comments on weight loss. I usually reject the idea "really? I haven't noticed, probably not" or I say "yea right I wish!" I NEVER say "yes I'm doing this awesome diet and working out!" When the weight loss becomes more noticeable I suppose I'll just say thank you and leave it at that, I really don't want to go into details with real life people. I'll always downplay that it was anything more than just an accident.
I was like that too for a while. Now I say just say thank you! and pretty much leave it at that. If they ask how. I tell them I bust my butt and the gym and count calories. That is usually enough to deter people from asking too many more questions. Most times they just want to hear "Ohh I found this 'insert magical fat busting wonder cure here' and have lost 50 lbs in 3 days!"

Once they hear that it takes effort, most people lose interest pretty quick I find!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:06 PM   #29  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Funny, I actually had a coworker say to me today, "Have you been dieting?" I said, "I've actually lost about 30 pounds since I started working here." She commented that I was taking it slow but that I look great. I'm glad it didn't divulge into details (yet), but at least now I have time to think about how I might reply.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #30  
Slow and Steady

S/C/G: 176/176/145

Height: 5'3"

Initially, I was only planning to let my husband in on it, but word has gotten around since then and it's become noticeable enough that I've gotten comments. Ah well.

My immediate family knows because, well, they eventually noticed so I fessed up.

My coworkers know too, although that's been a little more tricky. My office leans towards the heavier side and some people are trying to lose weight, others seem OK where they are. I stopped eating out with a couple of coworkers (we were going out to lunch a lot) and initially tried to play it off like I was just trying to save some money and the greasy food bothered my stomach (both very true). I invited them to walk with me after lunch instead. They kept asking me if I was mad at them so I finally admitted that I had lost 10 pounds just from eating in. They both said, "Oh" and never brought the subject up again. Meh, works for me.
LovesToTravel is offline   Reply With Quote