Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default Exercise - an appetite suppressant or appetite stimulant?

What is it for you? That's another difference between people (as I'm taking note of how variable food and movement is for all of us)

Exercise for me, aerobic exercise especially, is an appetite suppressant. While I watched what I ate for the two years of very active exercise, I noted that on the days I missed the gym, I ate more.

And it's not that I was more tired, or gave myself leeway. No.... I always tried to eat for hunger, never sticking to a strict caloric intake. That means, I was constantly questioning my eating... Was I really hungry or just felt like eating? My daily intake varied from 1200- 1700 typically. And without a doubt, days I didn't exercise I was just hungrier and ate more.

I got reminded of that today when I accidentally made my 4 mile walk a 6 mile walk. I hadn't eaten beforee the walk. My plan was to eat when I got home. Well, I got home much later than planned and it was almost lunch time by then. And I wasn't hungry, just thirsty. So, I didn't eat lunch until 2 pm. Normally I eat a very small breakfast at 7, lunch around 11:30 and dinner at 6:30. Today, nope, and since I only ate a normal lunch the first half of the day, I let myself have a much bigger dinner since I was at a super huge calorie deficit for the day (ended the days around 1250) and it was so goooood (grilled flank steak and a nice salad). Going into dinner I was at 500 calories for the entire day and I got up to 1250 calories..

My husband is the opposite from me (as he is with most things when it comes to food). He gets ravenous with more exercise. His appetite goes up to the amount of calories he burned. So, if he burned 300 calories, he will need to eat 300 calories.

So, what that means is that I feel extra motivated to exercise because I don't get as hungry and I'm burning all those extra calories. I know many people feel the opposite. They get ravenous. Isn't that interesting how differently we respond? I'm fascinated by it!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #2  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

running is definitely an appetite suppressant for me although i found that weight training made me hungrier...weird huh?
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #3  
maintaining since 9/2013

All other things being equal, it's a suppressant. So much of my eating is from boredom, emotion, or pleasure, without to regard to hunger. I think the exercise is a proxy endorphin stimulator that quiets all of those reasons to eat. At least according to my new favorite book, The End of Overeating.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 229/205.6/165

Height: 5'4"

HUNGRIER!! SO HUNGRY! lol i i just got back from the gym myself and i could eat a whole cow.
kaybee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #5  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
I think the exercise is a proxy endorphin stimulator that quiets all of those reasons to eat.
I think there is a lot of truth to that too. I am a happier person when I do aerobic exercise (and yes, a brisk walk is aerobic). I think all those brain chemicals work in my favor with eating, sleeping, feeling good, etc.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 302/217/181

Height: 5'7"

where i run hard or condition hard it's a suppressant.

swimming and weightlifting and i could eat the whole house, and then go sniffing for more.

if im not doing any exercise, i tend to just sit and eat in front of the tv, so that's the worst. i have turned exercise into my hobby/obsession and this has helped keep me on track.
katerina11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:52 PM   #7  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Running and walking are my main exercises, and it is a suppressant. But I rarely run more than a 5k a day now.

Back when I ran longer distances I could have eaten an elephant made of HoHos every other hour.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #8  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Light to moderate exercise seems to have little effect.

Heavy exercise and I lose all appetite for an hour or two and then ... watch out!
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:00 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 177/147/138

Height: 5ft7

Swimming makes me starving hungry. Running also makes me hungry but for actual food, not snacky junk. After a long run I like protein and whole grain carbs, not biscuits and sweets.
Chubby mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:13 PM   #10  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Stimulant. Makes it easier to gobble the healthy stuff too, as everything tastes delicious.

Last edited by IanG; 05-02-2014 at 09:14 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars735 View Post
All other things being equal, it's a suppressant. So much of my eating is from boredom, emotion, or pleasure, without to regard to hunger. I think the exercise is a proxy endorphin stimulator that quiets all of those reasons to eat. At least according to my new favorite book, The End of Overeating.
Such a great book, mars735--and I agree!

Last edited by curvynotlumpy; 05-02-2014 at 09:23 PM.
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 175/143/125

Height: 5'5"

Suppressant unless I go swimming . . . Swimming makes me hungry.
WeightGoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:50 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Snark View Post
Running and walking are my main exercises, and it is a suppressant. But I rarely run more than a 5k a day now.

Back when I ran longer distances I could have eaten an elephant made of HoHos every other hour.
^This!!!^. When I run harder, and do maybe 3-4 miles, appetite supressant. Yesterday is decided to do a hair under 7 miles, but at a slow pace even for me, and I'm pretty slow. Took me 1 hr 20 minutes, I was hungry all day!! I fear as I lengthen my longer runs that I will greatly be over eating those days. :/ Though I do stick with all real/healthy / whole food. Lots of chicken, apples and natural peanut butter!

Last edited by GlamourGirl827; 05-03-2014 at 05:53 AM.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:49 AM   #14  

Height: 5'0"

Stimulant, though not initially. For about an hour after I exercise, I am just enjoying the feel-good endorphin rush, the feeling of accomplishment, and the ache in the muscles. Once I kind of come down off that high, my belly starts growling. I don't necessarily inhale everything in my path--most of the time--but I do need to eat SOMETHING to keep my hunger from being overwhelming.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:33 AM   #15  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Both. Its primarily an appetite suppressant for me but i think on another level, it also makes me need to eat more. When i spend a day out and about in the city, i get hungrier. Its because i am more active than when i stay at home. But if i'm running, well it certainly does suppress it for a while.

When i was doing triathlon, i only did one race but after it i, and others mentioned the same thing, noticed that we needed to eat a lot for the next few days.

Last edited by Pattience; 05-03-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote