What goals are you striving for?

You're on Page 2 of 4
Go to
  • Hugger bunny they are not boring goals at all! How can wanting to get pregnant and have a healthy baby be considered boring. etc.

So my main goal is not to put this blasted weight on ever again. I have been skinny numerous times but i have spent too much of my older years being too overweight and i've totally had it up to the gills with being fat.

My other goals are: look the best i can, wear anything i want, though with age i recognise that one doesn't have the same free choices in clothing that younger people do.

I want to just be permanently slim forever and ever. Its all i want from this. Of course i want to be healthy in my old age but my health is generally not

And i want to share something with because i am sure this is one reason why i am going to be successful.

one of my things is to quit sweets. I have some out clauses. They are:
    i can eat sweets if someone offers them to me but only one serve. No seconds and no helping myself.

And i can have sweets if i am out at a restaurant with other people.

I've chosen these two things because i think they will not cause me to lose it. I feel its a safe situation where i can't really get carried away and lose control. But at the same time i recognise that eating sweets once like this, increases the risk of letting the reigns go in other situations.

So i've been preparing myself day by day with my commitment to this strategy.

In recent months people have offered me sweets on numerous occasions. Always i've said no thanks because i felt it was important to be able to say no and not feel that i have to grab that sweet chance every time it came my way.

And i also said no in those situations because my desire for the sweets was not very great.

Today was different. Today was visiting a friend in the afternoon and with coffee he offered me a lamington which is a traditional cake. And i like lamingtons even if they are the bought ones. I have a general disdain of supermarket brand sweets now. They are usually made with cheap ingredients and are usually less than delicious.

however today i was a little bit peckish and decided yes i would have that laming ton. So i did and i really enjoyed it and have not felt the slightest bit of guilt about it. Also when there i told my friend about my strategy and said he must not let me have another one - though of course i knew that if i wanted one he'd let me have it. It was mainly me who had to be sure not to take another one. So i said let's put them away.

so anyway its all good and i feel good about all that.

I don't get offered sweets that often so its not going to be a frequent event. I am glad i still have some chances to eat sweets but that these chances are low risk for me who has a tendency to binge on sweets to the exclusion to other healthy foods.

So if anyone here has this tendency, you might consider a strategy like this. I would say i would wish i could be a moderate eater of sweets but i have never been able to achieve that for longer than a few weeks.
  • Pattience, I meant my goals are boring because they don't involve anything fun, like shopping for pretty clothes or being able to hike a mountain with friends.

I'd never heard of Lamington cake before and looked it up. Yum! Good job on only having one serving and limiting your sugar intake in other ways Deciding to only have sugary things occasionally when offered by others sounds like a good approach. I think we all have different approaches that work for us!
  • My goal is to fit into the Mother of the Bride dress I bought on-line. It's a size 14 and I do not want to return it for a size 16! I'm sure it will look great if I lose about 15 lbs. I really have to do this because I spent so much money on this dress and I'd be mortified if I had to wear it the way it fits now. I've cut my intake of food, I'm working out before work for 25 mins., I'm walking 1 mile on my lunch break and walking 4 to 6 miles after dinner. I have until early June to do this and I know I can….I HAVE to. I haven't given myself another choice.
  • Hi Sunshine! Oh, that sounds like a very stressful goal. I've been there before with a bridesmaid dress. I will be thinking good thoughts for you! In late August, there's another wedding I have to be a bridesmaid in. The whole dress thing is complicated because a) the dress has to be ordered months ahead of time and who knows what weight I will be when the wedding day arrives because a lot of weight can be lost in 5 months but I could also be 3 months pregnant by then, and b) the closes David's Bridal (where the dress is coming from) is several hundred miles away from me so all dress size choosing is happening online, and they do not have a generous return policy. Even more annoying, the dress I need is actually in stock right now and would be shipped quickly, but who knows if the same one will be available 4 months from now? Putting off the purchase until I have a better idea of what my size will be would be foolish. So yes, I feel for you, and it's probably even more worrisome when you're the mother of the bride rather than just a bridesmaid.

What are your goals after that one?
  • I want to not have Obesity be a cause of my death on my death certificate, as it was on my grandmom's.

I want to try rock climbing and ziplining and other activities like that. Right now I always get nervous that my weight will break something or I won't fit into the gear or I'm not strong enough.

I want to be able to keep up with my bf when we're hiking (I'm getting there!)

I want to fit comfortably on a plane seat and in chairs and not feel like I'm going to break something.

Eventually have a healthy pregnancy, one day (I'm no where near ready for kids anyway).
  • Quote: rock climbing -was a disaster last time I tried and the rope was too small to go around my butt-AWFUL experience!!).
    Oh man! So sorry this happened to you! I went to a rock climbing place w my ten year old not too long ago (probably 15 or 20 pounds heavier than now, but still MUCH smaller than my high weight) and because I have no interest whatsoever in rock climbing, I didn't know or think of the fact that I was gonna have to wear that not-so-flattering to anybody but even worse if you're fat harness thingy. OMG! I was still big enough that it was a little embarrassing, but not too bad. I was so happy, though, that I didn't unsuspectingly walk into that trap at my high weight. What would I do??? You can't just tell your kid you're too fat to help them climb! What a nightmare!

Quote: I just wanna keep what I got - I've always had my personal dream body type, just not exactly the dream body fat content.
    This is interesting! I feel the same. My body type is not what everybody else likes (umm, short and stocky pretty much describes it), but when I notice other women who I think look good, they're a thinner version of me! I have wondered if maybe we're all programmed to feel that way, but I think maybe not. It doesn't seem like anyone else I know does.

So, my goals have changed so much as I've progressed. In the beginning it was all about getting healthier, being able to move more easily and fit in furniture and just be able to comfortably do things that normal-weighted humans can do. As I have lost, though, it has become more about vanity and just enjoying having a smaller body. I am really enjoying exercise now in a way that I could not while fat and also enjoying what it's doing to my body in a way I didn't think I would. In the last couple of weeks I had a whoosh and went from about 153 to 144 and all of the sudden my body just felt so strong! And I have abs!!! Not the six pack kind of abs, but like I can really feel that I'm strong under that pooch that I try to remember made a great baby house. I never expected to actually reach my goal weight, but now I am kind of thinking I will (knock on wood!) and I can't wait to see what it's like. I will know I'm there (as the actual goal weight is a bit of a stab in the dark, although it doesn't seem too far off) when I can choose what to wear because I like the style not because its a style that doesn't show all of my flaws too much.
  • Quote: Oh man! So sorry this happened to you! I went to a rock climbing place w my ten year old not too long ago (probably 15 or 20 pounds heavier than now, but still MUCH smaller than my high weight) and because I have no interest whatsoever in rock climbing, I didn't know or think of the fact that I was gonna have to wear that not-so-flattering to anybody but even worse if you're fat harness thingy. OMG! I was still big enough that it was a little embarrassing, but not too bad. I was so happy, though, that I didn't unsuspectingly walk into that trap at my high weight. What would I do??? You can't just tell your kid you're too fat to help them climb! What a nightmare!

This is interesting! I feel the same. My body type is not what everybody else likes (umm, short and stocky pretty much describes it), but when I notice other women who I think look good, they're a thinner version of me! I have wondered if maybe we're all programmed to feel that way, but I think maybe not. It doesn't seem like anyone else I know does.

So, my goals have changed so much as I've progressed. In the beginning it was all about getting healthier, being able to move more easily and fit in furniture and just be able to comfortably do things that normal-weighted humans can do. As I have lost, though, it has become more about vanity and just enjoying having a smaller body. I am really enjoying exercise now in a way that I could not while fat and also enjoying what it's doing to my body in a way I didn't think I would. In the last couple of weeks I had a whoosh and went from about 153 to 144 and all of the sudden my body just felt so strong! And I have abs!!! Not the six pack kind of abs, but like I can really feel that I'm strong under that pooch that I try to remember made a great baby house. I never expected to actually reach my goal weight, but now I am kind of thinking I will (knock on wood!) and I can't wait to see what it's like. I will know I'm there (as the actual goal weight is a bit of a stab in the dark, although it doesn't seem too far off) when I can choose what to wear because I like the style not because its a style that doesn't show all of my flaws too much.
    Right?! I hate that harness!! I mean it so ugly and it's just uncomfortable! lol

Wow 144!!! Go you!! Are you still doing keto?! I dropped from 167 from 168 and noticed my stomach was so much flatter! I feel like I'm beginning to see the potential I have to look normal and not fat, just need to stick to my diet, lol!

I have to say though, vanity motivates me like no other! There are days when I tell myself I'm doing this for my health and me, but what really gets me going to exercise and put down all the crap food I'm tempting to eat is when I see older, thinner photos of myself!
  • Why I Want to Reach My Goal Weight
    23 Reasons “Why I Want to Reach My Goal Weight”
    1. I want to be able to be able to walk, exercise, climb stairs, and ride a bike without experiencing excessive ankle and knee pain or shortness of breath.
    2. I want to be able to stand up from the couch or a low chair without turning into a circus act.
    3. I want to put my Type II Diabetes into permanent remission.
    4. I want to reduce my cholesterol before it becomes a problem.
    5. I want to take measures to keep my blood pressure at a healthy level.
    6. I want to be able to easily clean myself after using the rest room.
    7. I want the energy to both work and make my jewelry without feeling exhausted from the moment I get out of bed in the morning.
    8. I want to be limber and flexible.
    9. I want my libido back.
    10. I want to feel sensual without the accompanying guilt.
    11. I want average hips and an average butt.
    12. I want to walk down an aisle without people moving out of the way as if there isn’t room for two of us to pass at once.
    13. I want sit in a chair without my butt and hips overflowing.
    14. I want to buy a new mattress and have it last more than six months.
    15. I want to belly dance—in costume—for my husband and feel beautiful doing it.
    16. I want to be able to swim again and feel comfortable in a bathing suit.
    17. I want to be able to shop some place other than Lane Bryant.
    18. I want to avoid potential financial/insurance penalties for being morbidly obese.
    19. I want to dress nicely and not feel like a parade float.
    20. I want to look and feel as beautiful as the jewelry I make.
    21. I want to make new opportunities for myself.
    22. I want to feel successfully in control of my life and healthy food choices.
    23. I want to feel proud of myself for being consistent and reaching my goal.
  • More than anything else, my goal is to get back to running. I hurt my foot and during the layoff regained all of my weight plus 10. Now the foot's better but I'm afraid I'd just injure myself again if I don't lose some weight first.

Sure, I want to be happy with what I see in the mirror, wear pretty clothes, and all that, but running made me feel better about myself and my body than anything else ever has. I could lose the weight and still see an ugly woman in the mirror, but there's no denying the accomplishment of a PR, a sub-30:00 5k, or a 10 mile long run.

In my very first race, I got a second place medal in my age group. I was still 180 lbs. at that time. Any fat chick can tell you how I felt every time I passed a skinny girl on the way. By the time I sprinted through the finish line, I knew I was a winner, medal or not.
  • Goals:
    1. Be healthy and live a long life.
    2. If I have children one day, set a good example for them. Have a healthy baby etc.
    3. Get my first boyfriend somehow. I'm 23 years old right now.
    4. Continue to be able to travel to Japan even when I'm much older.
    5. Feel beautiful in body-hugging clothes and bikini swimsuits. (I'm praying that if I just get low enough, my apple shape will go away and I'll finally have a flat stomach.)

Goals already met:
    1. As long as it's not skin-tight around the waist area, I look good in clothes now. And it's easy to find and fit into clothes I like.
    2. I feel a lot healthier and more energetic.
    3. Skin clarity has improved immensely.
  • 1. I want to be in a normal weight range for the first time in my life.
    I've always been short and chubby. I just want to be at a healthy weight. Not skinny, but healthy.

2. I want to build muscle and be strong.
    I've recently developed a fascination with building muscles. I love the way they look. I want to keep going until I can actually do push-ups, pull-ups, etc.

3. I want to try to avoid weight-related health problems that run in my family.
    My family has a history of all sorts of weight-related health problems. These include diabetes, knee replacements, triple/quadruple bypass surgery, varicose veins. My mother has diabetes, fibromyalgia, neuropathy, degenerative discs disease and arthritis. I can't prevent it all, but I can try to make it easier on myself by keeping healthy.

4. I want to be healthy enough to be a good mom and keep up with my children.
    I want children more than anything. I want to be at a healthy weight so that I can do things with them and run around and play with them. Not to mention that pregnancy issues run in my family, so being healthier before getting pregnant can only help.
  • 1. To live as long and as healthy a life as possible
    2. To be as fit(or fitter) than my dad who's in better shape then anyone I know!
    3. To be able to comfortably hike 3.5mph at 10K while carrying a backpacking pack Right now I'm at 2.7ish, so still a ways.
    4. To be a hot wife for when I eventually get married
    5. To share clothes with my sister who I look similar to and have a similar build to but she's 20lbs thinner and a model haha
  • I haven't really thought about this, but these are the two things that come up to mind.

1. Wear shorts - Even when I was thin, my mind thought I was fat therefore I was self-conscious about wearing shorts. So when I lose this weight, I'm buying myself some shorts and wearing them every day during the summer.

2. Go to Yosemite and hike half dome - I just thought of this now and I think it's more of an incentive for me. I enjoy hiking and I am sure I can do Yosemite today, but I would rather enjoy it more than be tired out.
  • I have a friend who now lives out of state, but comes home every year for Christmas. One of my favorite goals is to really stun her when she sees me again. She used to be my partner in crime, the person I ate all the really fattening deserts with, the person I knew would never judge me for my weight. Like me, she'd been heavy all her life. Well, she started jogging and working out and dropped 70 pounds. It would be awesome to impress her, cause she's sure impressed me!
  • Quote: I haven't really thought about this, but these are the two things that come up to mind.

1. Wear shorts - Even when I was thin, my mind thought I was fat therefore I was self-conscious about wearing shorts. So when I lose this weight, I'm buying myself some shorts and wearing them every day during the summer.

2. Go to Yosemite and hike half dome - I just thought of this now and I think it's more of an incentive for me. I enjoy hiking and I am sure I can do Yosemite today, but I would rather enjoy it more than be tired out.
    Ohlovely I hear you about the shorts! I live in the deep South and I still hate wearing them! I told myself I would only wear them for the gym, but now I go there so often I end up just wearing shorts most days. I still hate it and feel very self conscious.