Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #31  
yogini99

S/C/G: 137/125/123

Height: 5'6"

I totally agree withtime2lose and krampus. Carbs make me starving!
Yogini99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #32  

Height: 5'0"

I'm currently 122 lbs, and if I ate what you do (unless lunch is a ribeye and baked potato smothered in sour cream), I'd be hungry all day long. Personally, if I were you, I'd increase both my protein and fat at all meals. If you are still in the "saturated fat is bad" camp, at least add things like nuts, seeds, olives, and avocado.

If I eat breakfast at 7am and I want it to hold me through until lunch, then I eat 2 eggs (fried in butter), spinach (wilted in bacon fat), and some fried potatoes (pan fried in butter). YMMV, but that works for me.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 233/ticker/130

Typically lunch for me is a salad, which is composed of lettuce, a packet of (low sodium) tuna, some mushrooms, a sprinkling (which I try to keep reasonably small) of cheese and low fat Italian dressing.

I really have no idea about portion sizes, so I try to just assume what I'm having is plenty and give myself some breathing room? LOL that sounds silly as I write it, but there it is.

Sometimes for lunch I have a baked potato with salsa and, again, a small amount of shredded cheese. I don't have sour cream in the house because I know I would binge on the stuff. I had said baked potato once and didn't feel full, so I put a pack of tuna on top of it.

Will definitely try adding protein to my breakfast.

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I didn't see that there were so many replies!

RE the water question, I'm going to order a quart bottle to take with me to the gym and drink several times a day. Left to my own devices, I really drink very little, but I'm working on that. I don't drink my calories; I typically drink tea and diet soda.
rosesandholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 310/290.8/199

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosesandholly View Post
Typically lunch for me is a salad, which is composed of lettuce, a packet of (low sodium) tuna, some mushrooms, a sprinkling (which I try to keep reasonably small) of cheese and low fat Italian dressing.

I really have no idea about portion sizes, so I try to just assume what I'm having is plenty and give myself some breathing room? LOL that sounds silly as I write it, but there it is.

Sometimes for lunch I have a baked potato with salsa and, again, a small amount of shredded cheese. I don't have sour cream in the house because I know I would binge on the stuff. I had said baked potato once and didn't feel full, so I put a pack of tuna on top of it.

Will definitely try adding protein to my breakfast.

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I didn't see that there were so many replies!

RE the water question, I'm going to order a quart bottle to take with me to the gym and drink several times a day. Left to my own devices, I really drink very little, but I'm working on that. I don't drink my calories; I typically drink tea and diet soda.
seriously buy a scale!! i just started today its great!!!
mb2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #35  

Could do, but until I have an idea what appropriate portion sizes are it isn't that helpful. Going back to the gym tomorrow or the next day (hubby finally joined, yay! So much easier when we do it together.) so I will ask the trainers there about that. Also placed a hold on a book at my local library on the subject.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #36  

haha I meant a food scale Today I had chicken so I weighed my raw chicken breast, Then found out how many ounces it was exactly (7) Typed in Raw Chicken Breast to MFP, clicked on it, entered 7 1 oz portions and bam. a pretty darn accurate guess at how many calories it is.

You can eat what want just try to hit your MFP goal so if you weigh what you eat you know exactly how much calories your eating.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #37  

What's MFP? And yeah, I knew you meant a food scale.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:34 PM   #38  

MFP= My Fitness Pal
Old 04-08-2014, 08:40 PM   #39  

I forgot I wasnt on the My Fitness Pal site anymore :P. but I recommend it, You can do it online or with an app, its easy to use, you put in your weight, how much you want to use per week, etc and it gives you a calorie goal. Then everything you eat you type into it and it tells you how close you are to your goal etc.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Why wouldn't a food scale be useful? I'd think it would be the most useful in helping you if you don't know what an appropriate portion size is, more than anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2004 View Post
haha I meant a food scale Today I had chicken so I weighed my raw chicken breast, Then found out how many ounces it was exactly (7) Typed in Raw Chicken Breast to MFP, clicked on it, entered 7 1 oz portions and bam. a pretty darn accurate guess at how many calories it is.

You can eat what want just try to hit your MFP goal so if you weigh what you eat you know exactly how much calories your eating.
Raw chicken weighs more than cooked chicken btw.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:47 PM   #41  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeskinny View Post
After a little research, Ive came to the conclusion that raw food is the most accurate way to measure calories. http://ontheregimen.com/2013/08/28/h...cooked-or-raw/
Old 04-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #42  
Less of a Better Me

If you don't know anything about portion sizes how do you know that you are eating 1500 calories a day?

Also, I think you can eat snacks and still eat 1500 calories.

I average between 1200 and 1300 calories a day and have a couple of snacks. I just don't have meals that are very large.

For breakfast, add some protein and you can may find that you don't get as hungry so quickly.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:12 PM   #43  

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/mbitely2004

This is my food diary.... My calorie goal is 2,000, and tuesdays are my "cheat day" What can I say I cant miss out on Taco Tuesday! So today is the day I allow soda. But maybe you can see what I eat and what the calories are for me...
Old 04-08-2014, 11:26 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 229/205.6/165

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Why wouldn't a food scale be useful? I'd think it would be the most useful in helping you if you don't know what an appropriate portion size is, more than anything.

Seriously, I just started using my scale and the first big "Holy Crap" was realizing how small a portion of cheese actually is...
kaybee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:06 AM   #45  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Quote:
I'm not knocking sugar or any food. You can think of corn flakes however you wish to, however if you think it's healthier than raisin bran you're kidding yourself. Thankfully I'm not in a low carb mindset so I can see this objectively, and I like to indulge in a bowl of cereal when I fancy it. A while ago when I was trying to eliminate added sugars from our pantry I did some cereal research. Again, nothing wrong with sugar but they tend to put it in things you don't expect it like cereals, condiments, anything labeled low-fat, canned beans, etc. If I want to eat sugar I want to eat it where it counts, in my cake lol! I don't need sugar in my black beans or in my ketchup, know what I'm saying? So I was looking for some cereal that I could sprinkle on my yogurt and some I could eat occassionally when my cereal craving kicked in. I went down the cereal aisle, which is as long as a football field in America, and checked the labels on all the cereals. I didn't bother with the ones that were geared towards kids and were obviously full of sugars and colorings. I checked the ones that were specifically marketed as "all natural" and "whole grain" you know, the ones that were marketed to make you think it's healthy.

I found TWO cereals that did not contain added sugars. Grape Nuts and Shredded Wheat. That's it, not a single one other than those 2.

Erewhon Corn Flakes don't contain any sugar but if you're talking about kellogg's the first five ingredients are : MILLEDCORN, SUGAR, MALT FLAVORING, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SALT

That's 3 kinds of sweetener in the top 4 ingredients. Tit for tat, raisin bran has a higher fiber count so depending on what your criteria for "good for you" means it might be a better choice, especially if the brand of raisin bran you choose uses real raisins, not sugar coated ones.

wannabe, i know already that cornflakes contain added sugar but today i learnt just how little it was. I picked up a book at the library about sugar and on one page there was an above the line reading and a belwo the line reading of sugar. The above the line reading was less than 4% added sugar. The below the line reading was from %5 and upwards indefinitely.

The doctor writing this anti sugar book noted that the products above the line were not an issue for nutrition while those below the loan were a real worry. Its the sort of distinction i've always made myself. The thing is a little bit of sugar significantly improves the taste of some foods e.g. tomato sauce/ketchup, cornflakes for instance but those foods with a sugar content above the line seem to be the ones that cause major problems.

Here in Australia you can buy wheat bix cereal with added sugar and wheat bix cereal without it. It is not a sweet cereal but the sweetened one beats the other hands down in any taste competition.

Sugar and salt have their place. In my diet which is a quit sugar diet they have their place. Foods that are so sweet that make me want to keep eating more, are the problem and its these i avoid.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote