Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-30-2015, 09:23 AM   #1  

Default I got asked if I was pregnant at work THREE seperate times

One person asked me, then another said "Congratulations!" and then a third guy (he was a little mentally disabled and was really upfront about it) said "Oh its cause you have a pot belly"
I am trying to stay sane, but the horror is terrible. I went through an enormous state of depression and hormonal changes (was on the birth control pill which was good but only for the first 8 months, quit it, got bad reaction physically, went back on it, didnt react well, went back off it just now) so I am rather fragile right now but it feels like a lot not to flip out. I'm not even mad at anyone for bringing it up, just more horrified that that is what I look like. Im still half awake, just got to work and maybe I sound like a total mess right now.

Last edited by pixelllate; 06-30-2015 at 09:40 AM.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Don't sweat it it was probably just you shirt. Don't ever wear that shirt again. I've been there. I bought a pretty baby doll dress once, was asked how far along I was and never wore that dress or any baby doll style ever again.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #3  
Fat Free, Sugar Free

S/C/G: 187.4/164/140

Height: 5' 3"

this has happened to me before, I feel your pain. I was embarrassed but just brushed it off with humor. People are stupid sometimes. I'm sorry this happened to you. *hugs*
CheesecakeBrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:50 AM   #4  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

This happened to me once years ago when I was wearing a hooded sweatshirt, complete with belly molestation.

I just told the guy "I'm not pregnant a*****e." And gave him a "go somewhere and die" glare. It didn't happen again.

I second that it might have been the outfit, and maybe that one should go to Goodwill.

Last edited by MauiKai; 06-30-2015 at 10:50 AM.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #5  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Could be worse.

I have been asked that and I am a guy!

But, seriously, it's their bad for being so socially inept. You never ask any lady that for all sorts of reasons most of which have nothing to do with weight.

Last edited by IanG; 06-30-2015 at 11:03 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:10 AM   #6  

Thank you. Looking back, I see people of all sizes who are pregnant, the only thing is that they all have a bigger belly than the rest of their body, proportions. Im more pear shaped than anything else, so maybe its the top and some gas.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 206/144/120

Height: 5'3"

I've had that asked of me when I was 130 lbs (a low weight for me) when I was wearing a baby doll dress. I've had it asked at a high weight (210 lbs). People can be insensitive jerks. It doesn't make it hurt less, especially when you are trying so hard. I hope your day gets better.
greenviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 179/161/149

Height: 5"8

I have been there, and it is a rotten, awful feeling.
Anyhow, if you are here you are likely working on slimming, and this can be just another motivator to keep you going!
Hope your day gets better. :-)
superB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:53 PM   #9  
There and Back Again

S/C/G: 300/289/213

Height: 5'2"

I was a told that noone could tell that I was pregnant when I was. We all carry weight in a different way. It is nothing to be ashamed of. I chalk it up to ignorance. The whole belly touching thing is never appropriate, though.
tootsieroll81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:07 PM   #10  

Like others have said, this happened to me when wearing a baby doll shirt many years ago before I even had kids...never wore that shirt again...who doesn't look preggo in that style anyway...I was also asked this once by a patient, but in her defense, the way my scrubs fit I guess I had a belly...then I was asked that days after I had one of my miscarriages, ugh, I just told the lady, not any more, I just lost my baby, thanks for making me feel like sh*t....

I agree it was likely your clothes.

Oh and I was asked once in 2nd grade, but that was for the purpose of making me feel like crap.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 304/253/150

Height: 5'9"

Just counter with... "no. are you?"
applevalleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:58 PM   #12  

I know its not a god feeling but don't take personally,i am sure these people don't mean to be insulting. I have had 2 people ask me if I was pregnant when I gained weight last winter.

I don't even carry most of my weight on my stomach but they must have used to see me slimmer and my face was filled out and I was heavier. It didn't bother me since I knew I could lose weight again

I would take it as motivator to lose weight.Good luck
Telly986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:48 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

I was asked once as well. I thought about saying yes so I could get a free cake
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:49 PM   #14  

I got asked by my 4 year old daughter if I had another baby in my tummy, she then proceeded to poke my tummy and ask why my belly was big if I didn't have a baby in there...
So the diet started that day!
brainybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:59 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 130/108/104

Height: 5'3

It hasn't happened to me, but frankly I am surprised since I dress so modestly at work with loose flowing shirts.

I think I would come back with "no, do I look pregnant to you", and proceed to ask them a bunch of questions about why they thought I was to the point THEY get uncomfortable.
chubbysmall is offline   Reply With Quote