3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Do you feel like your really not losing weight? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/294177-do-you-feel-like-your-really-not-losing-weight.html)

samcrokitty 03-27-2014 08:56 AM

Do you feel like your really not losing weight?

This is probably crazy sounding but I figured if anyone can relate, I will find them here. I have lost 32 pounds since the beginning of this year. I can feel the difference in my clothes and I see little things being different but I feel like I'm not really losing. I mean, my stomach no longer hits the steering wheel of my car and I used to be able to hold my cell phone between my pj bottoms and my side fat roll and now my phone just falls through....lol I also went to scratch my shoulder the other day and actually felt a bone!! So I know things are changing but I feel like I'm getting no where. Anyone else get these weird feelings? I've been thinking about it alot and I am staying on my program so all is well but I just can't kick this! Nobody really says anything about my weight loss and I think it's because I see my family daily and my friends a few times a week. I think it's harder to see when they see me so much. I think part of my problem is the fact that in 2008, I lost 72 pounds and it just melted off. Everyone was saying things and it really pumped me up so I got even more into my diet/exercise. This time I don't feel that way. Can you relate? Any suggestions?

diamondgeog 03-27-2014 09:04 AM

Patience. I went from 285 to now 200. I got almost no one saying anything at work until right around 240ish?

I think I had a 5 lb chunk all of a sudden from my face. Whatever the reason I had nothing then almost everyone saying something at once, dozens of people.

I also didn't buy new clothes for awhile. I was in 46 and 48 inch pants. I thought when I would buy new stuff I would be a 44. I was between a 42 and 40, both fit.

So I was wearing baggy stuff. Anyhow there seems to be a 'tipping point' where all of a sudden people are wow. I think it probably has to do with the face area and it happens at different times.

I personally had so much more energy after just 20 lbs that was what I noticed and felt so awesome it was easy to continue. I had changed my way of eating, WOE. And my body obviously loved it. So for me the energy boost, the feeling great, was a big motivation to keep going.

samcrokitty 03-27-2014 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diamondgeog (Post 4971739)
Patience. I went from 285 to now 200. I got almost no one saying anything at work until right around 240ish?

I think I had a 5 lb chunk all of a sudden from my face. Whatever the reason I had nothing then almost everyone saying something at once, dozens of people.

I also didn't buy new clothes for awhile. I was in 46 and 48 inch pants. I thought when I would buy new stuff I would be a 44. I was between a 42 and 40, both fit.

So I was wearing baggy stuff. Anyhow there seems to be a 'tipping point' where all of a sudden people are wow. I think it probably has to do with the face area and it happens at different times.

I personally had so much more energy after just 20 lbs that was what I noticed and felt so awesome it was easy to continue. I had changed my way of eating, WOE. And my body obviously loved it. So for me the energy boost, the feeling great, was a big motivation to keep going.

Congratulations on your weight loss....that is awesome!! I think my clothes have something to do with it too. I can feel them bigger on me....the stomach is baggy and my v-necks are sliding close to falling off my shoulder. I don't think I am quite ready to buy a smaller size yet. It will be soon though. Now that you mention it, it was around 50 pounds last time that people started saying anything to me besides my mom.

forkeeps2013 03-27-2014 01:39 PM

Same here. I am almost 50 pounds down and still wearing the same clothes. Granted, they are baggy and I now need to wear belts (and truth be told, I probably look horrible in them), but I don't feel too much different. I felt a change and got a few comments from other people at about 30 pounds down, but not a whole lot since then. It is much healthier and more effective to lose it slowly, but I guess the trade-off is that we don't see the dramatic results. That's why the number on the scale can be more helpful than the mirror sometimes.

IanG 03-27-2014 02:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It goes mad under 200lbs (at least for a 5'8" guy). It's like a roll of toilet paper. The smaller you get the faster the changes. I have people I know not recognise me now.

There will be a time when you wish your weightloss was noticed less. Trust me on that.

My changing identity has been by far my greatest phsychological struggle with weightloss. It's been mad.

A friend took this before/after pic of me today. And I was already at least 60lbs down in the before picture!

Attachment 46015

3fcuser291505109 03-27-2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IanG (Post 4971946)
It goes mad under 200lbs (at least for a 5'8" guy). It's like a roll of toilet paper. The smaller you get the faster the changes. I have people I know not recognise me now.

There will be a time when you wish your weightloss was noticed less. Trust me on that.

ISN'T THAT THE TRUTH!!? There are times (at goal) when i wish people would just shut up about it because some of it isn't kind.

But more to the OP...start buying clothes even if you're only going to fit into them a couple months while you're losing..don't keep wearing baggy unflattering clothes, it helps GREATLY!!

Arctic Mama 03-27-2014 02:56 PM

I concur with the paper towel roll theory. It's more obvious the lower your weight goes,and depending on how your particular body loses sometimes it seems like there's no visible difference and then all the sudden *everyone* notices. I don't know why it is, but it is definitely so.

Radiojane 03-27-2014 03:13 PM

I couldn't tell until I went clothes shopping about 45 pounds in. In fact, I was bummed because I looked like ****, but part of that was because by that time my tops were 3 sizes too big.

I struggle now because I lost a huge amount and then stalled out for close to a year. So now, I'm used to my body again. Instead of feeling 100 pounds lighter, I feel like I'm huge and starting from scratch.

I have trouble thinking I'm imagining changes. For example, I've been eying my lower abdomen, and I really think it's gotten smaller (It's tough to measure because I'm shaped weird). But then I tell myself that the scale has only shown a minimal drop lately. But then I put on a pair of jeans that were too tight and they're wearable. And then I convince myself I stretched them out somehow.

I probably won't be convinced I've lost significantly again until I see a photo of myself.

Sorrow 03-27-2014 04:11 PM

I feel your pain. The scale says the pounds are gone, but are they? I don't feel like it to be fair, but I suppose the clothes doesn't lie either (I had to swap my wardrobe out at least once). Summer is never a nice time of the year for me (Can't hide then under all the clothes), but I am not as fearful as I used to be because I can now easily wear a size 16 (which is rather nice) I've lost about 2 stone (28lb) which should be quite noticeable, but only just last week I've started getting comments about my weightloss, rather bizarre because I had to lose all that just for someone to notice :P

nonameslob 03-27-2014 04:19 PM

I definitely know the feeling. Losing weight is certainly a mental battle as much as it is a physical one.

It's only recently that I really started to SEE the change - and I was quite frustrated until a few pounds ago that even the scales said I lost weight, I just didn't feel like it, others didn't seem to notice and my clothes weren't fitting THAT much better. But all of a sudden, BOOM! I definitely feel different. Funny how sometimes it just takes one pound to make you realize you've lost 25.

I'm at the point where I wish my coworkers would say something, because now I feel proud and I'm wearing smaller clothes and I want others to notice! But I'm not going to let it get me down if they don't notice. I notice, and right now, that's what's keeping me going...

hhm6 03-27-2014 04:53 PM

Completely agree!!

Sometimes I feel like the 30 lbs Ive lost should just be water or something, but only because I haven't made any big changes (like going down clothing sizes or taking up less space lol)!! I still feel big even though I can sense I've lost some weight.

I have some people say "Oh you look thinner" but nothing like "WOW,you've changed!" even though the latter is what I am aiming for, I am also very impatient with weight loss. It drives me crazy when I see a pound increase/decrease on the scale, even though over time you can see how it's insignificant.

Ian-wow you look awesome!! Congrats on your weightloss!!

IanG 03-27-2014 08:54 PM

Thanks hhm6 and apologies for the Isoflex in the pictures...it has become a little bit of a running joke in my office.

shrewlu 03-28-2014 04:21 AM

This definitely describes me. I have lost 65# so far and I don't feel different or think I look different. I'm wearing a smaller size in clothes, but I don't feel any different. When I look in the mirror I don't see a difference. But there has to be a difference, right? 65 pounds is a decent amount of weight loss, lol. I'm assuming that if I stick with it I'll see/feel the difference and I'm sure you will as well.

Pattience 03-28-2014 04:41 AM

I think you need to learn to be more self-reliant and less reliant on others for reassurance. You are doing it for you to feel good and be healthy, not to get compliments, right?

You have made progress. Let the rest go. Its not worth it.

grinchygirl 03-29-2014 09:49 AM

I struggle with the idea that I've lost fat and just some how have found 35 lbs of water to shed, lol. There is a lot that goes on mentally when we lose weight. I don't have answers, but I will tell you that toilet paper roll theory is 100% accurate, now every couple of lbs I'll notice a slimmer part of my body. I'm here to say, you're not alone, and these thoughts are not unique.

I actually don't want other ppl to notice, and for the most part only my best friend has said anything (I'm a baggy clothes wearer to begin with) . I worry about the volume of reactions I'll get come summer. Because I'm at college and I'll be seeing some of my friends after a year....I'm sure the change will seem dramatic to them.

Kaitie9399 03-29-2014 10:08 AM

I'm going to take a different spin on what you said.

The first time I lost the weight (close to 60 pounds) I never felt skinny. I know I looked skinny and that my clothes were smaller and I shopped for new clothes every week because I was so small but I never felt skinny---or I never got rid of that idea that I was no longer a fat chick. Does that make sense? I always felt like the fat girl. Anyway, that was to my detriment because as soon as I hit 145 *boom* I was 146, then 150, then 155, then 165 and back to 207. Then of course at my fattest, I never thought I was that fat--until I was wearing yoga pants to work everyday.

I guess my point is this: The more you accept the fact that you are getting skinnier the more likely you are to not ride the roller coaster any more.

I, of course, should listen to my own advice because I started to roller coaster AGAIN and gained back 15 pounds. Maybe the third time is the charm for me? Maybe.

christine123 03-29-2014 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaitie9399 (Post 4972940)

The first time I lost the weight (close to 60 pounds) I never felt skinny. I know I looked skinny and that my clothes were smaller and I shopped for new clothes every week because I was so small but I never felt skinny---or I never got rid of that idea that I was no longer a fat chick. Does that make sense? I always felt like the fat girl. Anyway, that was to my detriment because as soon as I hit 145 *boom* I was 146, then 150, then 155, then 165 and back to 207. Then of course at my fattest, I never thought I was that fat--until I was wearing yoga pants to work everyday.

I guess my point is this: The more you accept the fact that you are getting skinnier the more likely you are to not ride the roller coaster any more.

I, of course, should listen to my own advice because I started to roller coaster AGAIN and gained back 15 pounds. Maybe the third time is the charm for me? Maybe.

I agree with this. I was throwing out all the clothes I no longer wear and found a skirt in a juniors size 3. I am weirded out that back then, I wanted to lose more weight. I simply had no idea I was thin. I also started going up and up until I gained back all of it...50lbs... Over 5 years. Even now, I have lost about 30lbs, but do not see any difference even though my size 6 pants fit and they haven't in 2 yrs. It's really a head trip. I gained all of it back because I didn't think I was thin, and felt like a fraud, which sounds totally bizarre!

christine123 03-29-2014 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaitie9399 (Post 4972940)

I agree with this. I was throwing out all the clothes I no longer wear and found a skirt in a juniors size 3. I am weirded out that back then, I wanted to lose more weight. I simply had no idea I was thin. I also started going up and up until I gained back all of it...50lbs... Over 5 years. Even now, I have lost about 30lbs, but do not see any difference even though my size 6 pants fit and they haven't in 2 yrs. It's really a head trip. I gained all of it back because I didn't think I was thin, and felt like a fraud, which sounds totally bizarre! This is also my 3rd go of it and I'm trying to take a different approach mentally.

berryblondeboys 03-31-2014 06:42 PM

Every time I need to lose weight, I come up with more and more ways to SHOW my head that I'm actually losing.

First, I need to know my beginning weight = like it or not, later on the way down I'll want this information for comparison. Same for measurements, but honestly? Pictures speak the loudest. And not just clothed shots, but workout bra and form fitting workout pants kind of photos. They DO NOT LIE and you will differences from photo to photo even if you can't really see it in the mirror.

samcrokitty 04-01-2014 06:56 AM

I should have taken my measurements when I started and I know that would help me but I was just in the mind set that I didn't want to know. I know it sounds silly but I hang on sometimes to being disappointed in myself for gaining all the weight back from last time.

I am still noticing little things though. I went to a restaurant with my dad a few weeks ago and I fit into the booth alot better than I used to. Normally it would hurt my stomach while I sat there but I actually had some wiggle room!! It was nice!